• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    My biggo SUV has everything in it for the Zombie Apocalypse but a "Truck Gun". Seeing current news events where a compact semi auto might not be enough I need something with more juice to it. I recently purchased a Npap Zastava rifle which has given me some practice with the 762x39 round. That baby packs some wallop which led me to wanting a truck gun.

The platforms I am looking at are SBR'd pistol or a folding stock rifle. Something short but at 10" barrel or longer to get the full potential out of the round.l I am also looking at 556 pistols since I have years of experience with that round in carbines and rifles. For a brief moment I did consider a 762x51 Nato SBR but the price tag on that project is far beyond what I want to pay and I am concerned about it being reliable.

I have read through a few threads here and at a AK forum about these platforms and I am leaning towards a M92 with either a SIG Brace or a folding stock. I chose the M92/762x39 for round performance in shots at/under 100 yards. If I go with a folding stock and SBR the firearm I have to send in a Form 1 correct? If I go with a SIG Brace there's so form no fee no registering my name with the Feds b/c its still considered a pistol right?

So what to chose for hardware on it so I can get a budget together. The firearm I have seen as low as $399 at Centerfire with free shipping so they can sell cheap. A SIG Brace is $150 (?) and I already have a chest rig full of BHO steel mags that are gtg. After that I'll need an aluminum forend/handgaurd railed but not tactikewl and over done. I have no idea where to find one for a M92 or what they cost. The last piece I'll need will be a muzzle brake and I have found two difference two port brakes that are short and work.

I think that this might be a good configuration but I have never owned or fired one so this is why I am asking. To those that have made these truck guns let me know what you thing and what you would change.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    SBR AK47 (PAP pistol) is my truck gun, folds up and fits into a small back pack. I have put a SLR brake on it, works well.

10609688_10152610989606893_4152187888349827069_n.jpg

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    With a pistol (with or without brace) there is no SBR BS. It is a pistol like any other.

Best price I have seen for the brace is through WCArmory if they are still on sale.

For a truck gun I like a shotgun and a regular old AR15. Cheap if they get stolen, reliable with minimum maintenance, and plenty of power. I also carry my CCW if things need to stay in tight quarters.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Some kind of bag or backpack is a good idea, something you can bring in to a restaurant and not get noticed. I prefer the handgun I'm carrying, just makes things simple.

tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    You probably don't want to hear from us 300 blackout fanbois, do you.

10 inch barrel. I have maybe $600 in mine.
    c867bc01bc91678b0c77a25c82e6a876.jpg

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Go with something disposable. Truck guns are notorious for getting stolen. Keltec sub something or another. They fold up into something very compact and can be unrecognized by smash and grab artists.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Yugo underfolder 7.62x39mm AK w/drum mag and a couple of stick mags.
    Keep it in a Wilson tennis racket bag.
    Compact and covert.
    No need of NFA bullshit.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Go with something disposable. Truck guns are notorious for getting stolen. Keltec sub something or another. They fold up into something very compact and can be unrecognized by smash and grab artists.

For the smash and grab thieve I am planning on a small locked case bolted to the floor. Just enough to make them spend a lot of time to get into it and make them leave it. For me I am not sure what I wold use to open it but most likely I will go with a coded lock so I don't need a key and so that the poe-poe can't get into it without me telling them the code or them destroying my property which again takes time.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Cheap AR pistol or shotgun w/ folding stock.

I am not considering a shotgun (at this moment) since that platform will not reach out as far as I want it to without the barrel being much longer. Mex I love the 12ga shell in 2 3/4" 12 pellet 4DRAM for up close work and then being able to switch over to slugs (KO's) for longer 50-80 yard shots. But the gun would have to be a 18"-20" barrel and the overall firearm will be HUGE to have inside of a vehicle. If I go with something shorter the price gets waaaay bigger.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    You probably don't want to hear from us 300 blackout fanbois, do you.

10 inch barrel. I have maybe $600 in mine.

No doubt its an awesome round but the expense is just too high and the reliability factor is still a concern. I just don't have enough experience with it so I crossed it off of the list.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I am not sure with AK's but with AR's if you remove the stock and add a short barrel its a pistol or if you add a 16" barrel with the stock its considered a rifle and can be sold with no wait the atf only asks you let them know to remove it from the registry.

It is registered as a SBR, so it will always be a SBR.

But generally the same gun with no stock is a pistol. The same gun with a Sig Brace is a pistol.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Yeah that's why mine is a $200 shotgun, but a $450 AK pistol or Extar wouldn't be too huge of a loss either. The problem I have is I need one for each vehicle :laughing:

Me too right now. H&R Pardner Pump (870 clone) w good aftermarket mag springs and follower - tested by me for function w/ all types of loads. <$200

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    PTR 51P PDW with Sig Brace. .308/7.62x51.

The 51P and the 91 (identical, except 51P butt has pre-drilled holes for the Sig Brace adapter) have been very reliable. Fun shooting too. Add a PWS muzzle brake and virtually eliminate muzzle rise. Aimpoint PRO works nicely with it.

Perfect truck gun. Reasonably priced.

Below pic shows the 91, rather than the 51P with Sig Brace.

PTR 51P PDW .308 Pistol Atlantic Firearms Exclusive
    51p5mag.gif

Top Bottom