• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    No doubt its an awesome round but the expense is just too high and the reliability factor is still a concern. I just don't have enough experience with it so I crossed it off of the list.

Your in Frisco, aren't you? Want to shoot mine?

Sent from my cheyenne mountain when the NSA wasn't looking.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    $1k for a truck gun? Lol

Never did go for cheap guns, since you tend to get what you pay for. Regardless of it goes in the truck, car or nightstand. Something about the reason I have guns (e.g., lives may depend upon the gun).

I want quality and reliability, not cheap.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    "you get what you pay for" was coined by a salesman. You can certainly get quality and reliability without selling the farm, you just have to be patient, pay attention and shop around.

M2 Carbine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2014
    For a truck gun I want a rifle that is fairly powerful and can reach out a bit.
    And a handgun that's powerful enough to go through a car door.
    SKS and Ruger 357 Security Six.

My vehicle guns stay in the truck and two cars 24/7.

Truckguns.gif

Last edited:

james.long48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2015
    Where are you going to be driving your truck? I wanted a truck gun for some time. Living in the big city now, decided against it, feel fine with my ccw or if I need to I can lock a full size in my center console.

That being said I have a mini 30, I was contemplating putting a folding stock on. I tried out a folding stock on a WASR 10, just didn't care for the AK platform. It's just too spray and pray for me.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    For a truck gun I want a rifle that is fairly powerful and can reach out a bit.
    And a handgun that's powerful enough to go through a car door.
    SKS and Ruger 357 Security Six.

My vehicle guns stay in the truck and two cars 24/7.

Security Six is a fine revolver.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Your Zastava rifle seems like a good truck gun to me. It's already a truck gun to many people in countries more dangerous than ours.

True but I have already put some hard cash into it so it isn't "disposable" anymore. One thing that nobody mentioned about buying AK's is that they are NOT as cheap to buy as one would think and the accessories are in the Stratosphere for pricing. So, my new Npap is now over $1000 and climbing. Not going to toss it around in the truck and abuse it.

Now if I bought a new M92 I would leave most everything factory and only buy/use cheap goods at a bare minimum and only use stuff that I absolutely had to have for necessity. That rig I could beat up and would want too. Honestly I don't think an AR 556 could take as much punishment and the caliber is too small.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Never did go for cheap guns, since you tend to get what you pay for. Regardless of it goes in the truck, car or nightstand. Something about the reason I have guns (e.g., lives may depend upon the gun).

I want quality and reliability, not cheap.

The shotgun I have is dead nuts reliable. I stripped it down and put quality components where it's matters - then tested it myself. Still was cheap.

I just don't want to leave something expensive in the truck that can get stolen. If I lived in a more rural area I'd probably have a different story.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    True but I have already put some hard cash into it so it isn't "disposable" anymore. One thing that nobody mentioned about buying AK's is that they are NOT as cheap to buy as one would think and the accessories are in the Stratosphere for pricing. So, my new Npap is now over $1000 and climbing. Not going to toss it around in the truck and abuse it.

Now if I bought a new M92 I would leave most everything factory and only buy/use cheap goods at a bare minimum and only use stuff that I absolutely had to have for necessity. That rig I could beat up and would want too. Honestly I don't think an AR 556 could take as much punishment and the caliber is too small.

Ok so then I'd buy another AKM of the same brand or one like it. 5-7 hundred dollars and leave it alone if it shoots straight. Most of what other people are recommending costs more than that. If disposability and dependability are both what you are looking for, then I think that I'm giving good advice.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    A better question to ask...

Whats your price range?

Around the $500 mark you can do a no-thrills AK or AR, a lever gun, you really have a lot of options here.

Around the $400 mark you can do an SKS, or something like an old Remington 742. Lever guns are still in this range.

Around the $300 mark you can do a HiPoint, or even a Handi Rifle. You might find an SKS in this range too.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I have a Rossi 92 large loop in 44 mag and 16" barrel.

Easy to maneuver in the cab and has good accuracy, reliability and stopping power.
    It's also cheap enough to not worry about getting it banged around in the cab.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Just Get a flamethrower and be done.
    For me rifles and shottys are out me get a rock island, 1911 reliable and if it's stolen dinged. It doesn't hurt to much

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The shotgun I have is dead nuts reliable. I stripped it down and put quality components where it's matters - then tested it myself. Still was cheap.

I just don't want to leave something expensive in the truck that can get stolen. If I lived in a more rural area I'd probably have a different story.

You are certainly correct, a good shotgun can be had less expensively.

In a vehicle, I just want something with a little more range. But that is strictly personal preference.

Maybe I should worry about theft, but I don't. Of course now my car will probably be broken into this afternoon...

Top Bottom