• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Happened to me once......walked back to the truck after an evening deer hunt and was unloading my .270. All of a sudden it fired straight into the ground a couple feet in front of me. A buddy was with me and we just stared at each other in disbelief. I know for a fact my finger was nowhere near the trigger and the safety was on. To this day I have no idea how it happened, but scared the ever living shit out of me. It was about 15 years ago and I still think about it and sweat when I do.

I met another guy once who hunted near us who was riding around in the passenger seat of a pickup through his lease with his rifle by his side, muzzle in the floorboard. Somehow it fired, went through the floorboard and through the right front tire.

Just reinforced my thoughts on muzzle direction at all times with any weapon as if it's loaded regardless of whether you think it's not. I always preach to my boys about this.......they're all loaded at all times and no second chances with firearms.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    I'm not sure if it is the same issue but have you seen this?

https://www.weatherby.com/support/safety-center/vanguard-safety-notice.html

Just went and checked and mine is not within the range, which makes sense since I bought it in around '97-'98, after the years listed. HOWEVER, I'm thinking of calling Weatherby and seeing about having mine done anyway since their description about what can happen seems eerily like what happened with mine. I can't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure the bolt was open too.

I'm a super stickler about safety and was such an odd occurrence. It kinda makes sense. Thanks a TON for posting this!!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Happened to me once......walked back to the truck after an evening deer hunt and was unloading my .270. All of a sudden it fired straight into the ground a couple feet in front of me. A buddy was with me and we just stared at each other in disbelief. I know for a fact my finger was nowhere near the trigger and the safety was on. To this day I have no idea how it happened, but scared the ever living shit out of me. It was about 15 years ago and I still think about it and sweat when I do.

I met another guy once who hunted near us who was riding around in the passenger seat of a pickup through his lease with his rifle by his side, muzzle in the floorboard. Somehow it fired, went through the floorboard and through the right front tire.

Just reinforced my thoughts on muzzle direction at all times with any weapon as if it's loaded regardless of whether you think it's not. I always preach to my boys about this.......they're all loaded at all times and no second chances with firearms.
    Was it one of the Remingtons that was recalled for the very same conditions you described?

Just read down. Call weatherby

Stick_Shift

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Lake Whitney
    Never had one thus far (knock on wood). I know there's not a lot of fans of Israeli carry, but that's what I do, at least until I get more comfortable with walking around with a firearm.

I did get very nervous after doing a trigger job on a S&W Sigma. The first time I racked the slide, I made darn sure the muzzle was pointed downrange and my finger was nowhere near the gas pedal.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Focusing your attention on your firearm is just like focusing on your children when they were little, so you don't leave them in your car.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    You have never lived until you shot out your TV or the roof of your squad car. I have never lived.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Totally forgot that I had an ND when I was around 10 years old.

I was shooting my Daisy Red Ryder in the backyard.
    Thought I’d be cool and twirl the rifle around my finger.
    Shot myself in the cheek, nearly got my eye.

Never had an ND after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    East Texas
    When I shoot guns with a safety I always have the opposite of a ND. I'll pull the trigger and nothing happens. Main reason why I dislike safeties.

I'm OCD when I check the chamber though. I've had a few people ask me, "how many times you gonna check that thing?" My answer: Enough.

Top Bottom