• ...and so much more!
  • TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Back in 71 in the Army, I wanted a new exhaust on my Super Bee. I went to a small shop in Waynesville, a one man operatioin. He said he would do it for 20 bucks, if...he could take it for a spin after. Sure, had him do it and we went for a ride with him getting on it a few times, and he was happy. Course I went along for the "joyride."

You had a Super Bee. My superior firepower be damned. I'm officially jealous.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    A HORRIBLE one to go to is Jiffy Lube. There's a bunch of youtube videos from an investigation done by one of the news outlets where they went to Jiffy Lubes accross the nation with hidden cameras and were catching pretty much every shop they went to doing some bs or not doing what they were paid to. Also, you gotta be careful with some of the smaller shops, because they're more likely to take whoever they can get to turn a wrench. I knew a guy that had a guy who had just gotten out of prison working for him because he was a friend of the family. Turns out, the guy was stealing all sorts of crap from his shop...who know's what the guy swiped from peoples vehicles. That's part of why anytime I take mine in, I pull out any thing that would be easy to swipe. There ain't nothing the shop can or will do if something comes up missing. It's not to screw you over-it's to protect them from people who may be looking for an easy buck. P

And lastly-the condition of your vehicle when it comes in, really plays a part in how it gets treated. If it's obvious that you don't really take care of your vehicle, then we're not really going to be as careful with it. But if it's one that's nice and clean (even under the hood) and you can tell there's been attention to detail-then that kinda motivates the majority of us to keep up with the standards of the owner. So if you know you're taking yours in ahead of time-give it a good cleaning. It'll pay off with the quality of work being done.

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    ^^ I shouldn't have to wash my vehicle and the engine just so it's gets a proper oil change and tire air pressure adjustment. That should be done regard less. After all that is what I'm paying for.

But I do all my own maintenance so I don't have to worry about that

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    A HORRIBLE one to go to is Jiffy Lube. There's a bunch of youtube videos from an investigation done by one of the news outlets where they went to Jiffy Lubes accross the nation with hidden cameras and were catching pretty much every shop they went to doing some bs or not doing what they were paid to. Also, you gotta be careful with some of the smaller shops, because they're more likely to take whoever they can get to turn a wrench. I knew a guy that had a guy who had just gotten out of prison working for him because he was a friend of the family. Turns out, the guy was stealing all sorts of crap from his shop...who know's what the guy swiped from peoples vehicles. That's part of why anytime I take mine in, I pull out any thing that would be easy to swipe. There ain't nothing the shop can or will do if something comes up missing. It's not to screw you over-it's to protect them from people who may be looking for an easy buck. P

And lastly-the condition of your vehicle when it comes in, really plays a part in how it gets treated. If it's obvious that you don't really take care of your vehicle, then we're not really going to be as careful with it. But if it's one that's nice and clean (even under the hood) and you can tell there's been attention to detail-then that kinda motivates the majority of us to keep up with the standards of the owner. So if you know you're taking yours in ahead of time-give it a good cleaning. It'll pay off with the quality of work being done.

Chain stores are horrible in my experience. Any quick lube, Midas, Brake Check, etc. are just terrible. Dealerships can be just as bad, though there are good ones out there. The bad thing is, expect to pay big time whether they're good or bad.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    ^^ I shouldn't have to wash my vehicle and the engine just so it's gets a proper oil change and tire air pressure adjustment. That should be done regard less. After all that is what I'm paying for.

But I do all my own maintenance so I don't have to worry about that
    You should be good with that, but I was talking more about when you take it in for actual repairs. Bringing in a clean vehicle that looks like it's owner takes care of it can mean the difference between just a quick yank off the old part and slap on a new one, or having your mechanic take the time to inspect things as he goes, and take the extra measure to really put things back tgether with quality in mind. That's just from what I've seen and how I've done things as well. Also-if its a shop that has good customer service and at least the manager is trying to run a legit show, then they'll always save the part for you to see afterwards.

As far as the lube-shops go...I used to take my rides to them for warranty reasons or just because I was feeling lazy...but I ALWAYS stood in direct view of my ride and watched them. Sometimes, I even like to play dumb and see how much they'll try to rip me off just in case I run accross someone needing a reference.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You should be good with that, but I was talking more about when you take it in for actual repairs. Bringing in a clean vehicle that looks like it's owner takes care of it can mean the difference between just a quick yank off the old part and slap on a new one, or having your mechanic take the time to inspect things as he goes, and take the extra measure to really put things back tgether with quality in mind. That's just from what I've seen and how I've done things as well. Also-if its a shop that has good customer service and at least the manager is trying to run a legit show, then they'll always save the part for you to see afterwards.

As far as the lube-shops go...I used to take my rides to them for warranty reasons or just because I was feeling lazy...but I ALWAYS stood in direct view of my ride and watched them. Sometimes, I even like to play dumb and see how much they'll try to rip me off just in case I run accross someone needing a reference.

Hmm, I tend to treat them all the same. The really shitty vehicles are gold mines that need tons of work. True, a lot of the time the car isn't worth putting the money into, and the customer might not have the money, but at the least I owe it to them to let them know what condition the vehicle's in.

The cars I do tend to gloss over on inspection are the ones that are like 2 years old (unless they're high miles), or have something stupid low like 20,000 miles. Odds of finding anything are really low. Leaks, suspension, CV boots are all going to be good, barring something really crazy like them sliding sideways into a curb...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I worked at a hole in the wall shop. A 85 mustang came in for a door problem(the first year that the 302 had a 4barrel holley). Every person in the shop slammed the gears in that car. It would go sideways dumping the clutch at 5500rpm. That mustang was from a used car lot. So it was up for sale.

I slammed the gears on a used 98 Cobra trade in at a Mac hiak dealership. Not much road so all I did was a burn out. Damn it would get after it. Bounced it against the rev limiter more then once. The dealership wouldn't let a soul drive the SRT Dodge truck( except the sales manger test drove it REALLY hard once). Assholes

Test drove a 01' Camaro 5.7 with a standard. That fu*ker would cook the tires. Test drove another one that had been chipped( automatic 5.7). That car would BROIL the tires.

Grand prix...forgot the year. Supercharged v6, front wheel drive. Fun....but not that fun. It would smoke the tires.

The Ford dealership in Belton(long closed now)......lots of test driving 4.6 mustangs and a 7.3ltr truck.

My brother worked at a BMW dealership as a mech. Nutin like 140mph on I35 in a V12 740i.

Moral of the story. Hot cars get treated like hot cars.

Holy shit. I'll get into the throttle to see what they can do, but there's no way I'd try most of that stuff. The odds of getting busted are way too high, and much as I'd like to play, if something breaks, I'm going to catch hell.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I don't beat up other people's property and if they do it to mine and I catch them, I'll choke the living shxt out of them. For guys who wanted to ride my motorcycles over the years my response was always the same: "If I had a wife, I'd let you ride her before I'd let you ride my motorcycle!"

That being said......When I was teaching Auto Mechanics, we were ready to light up a brand new engine but had no fuel. I flipped my truck keys to one of my Seniors and asked him to get 5 gallons in a can from the bus barn pump and charge it to my program (routine). My truck was an 1985 Chevy S-10 pickup with a 350 small block, headers, mild hydraulic lifter cam and single quad. When he returned, he had two cop cars in hot pursuit who wrote him a pile of tickets including "exhibition of acceleration", expired license, and numerous other coupons.

When the cops finished their writing, they turned to me and said "What the Hell do you have in that truck?" Apparently, he spent a lot of his return trip with smoking tires and going sideways. That damned truck would run!

I didn't fool with the kid. He had enough trouble with the handful of tickets he just got.

Flash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I feel the need for speed. Anybody have a car I can test drive? I swear Ill bring it back in 20mins. Honest.

But no 4bangers, v6 turds. Prefer Ford, standard. Will also test drive camaro.

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    I'll tell you like I told my buddy who is a terrible driver and had wreck one of my trucks already. I wouldn't let you drive my bicycle.

Top Bottom