• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Didn't grow up fishing so don't really know how, but am planning on learning.

I started hunting about 2 years before coming here but in Indiana I had tons of state parks I could hunt in within reasonable driving distance. Seems much harder to find places to do so here.

I've the people to be great --- we're very lucky having ended up with very good neighbors :)
    <>

There is a large National Forest, ‘’Kistchie’’ near you across the Rio Sabino.
    See: https://www.fs.usda.gov/kisatchie

Also, the folks at your local gun shops and your TX P&W officers can give you some tips on finding places.

As Texas has few ‘’public lands’’, much of the hunting is via leases, outfitters, & guides.

Many dove hunts are on ‘’day leases’’. Duck & goose hunts involve ‘‘guided’’ outfitter arrangements. Deer, turkey, & quail hunts are usually on leased ranch-lands.

Welcome to the South & to TGT.

leVieux

<>

fordw60s

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Lufkin, TX
    <>

There is a large National Forest, ‘’Kistchie’’ near you across the Rio Sabino.
    See: https://www.fs.usda.gov/kisatchie

Also, the folks at your local gun shops and your TX P&W officers can give you some tips on finding places.

As Texas has few ‘’public lands’’, much of the hunting is via leases, outfitters, & guides.

Many dove hunts are on ‘’day leases’’. Duck & goose hunts involve ‘‘guided’’ outfitter arrangements. Deer, turkey, & quail hunts are usually on leased ranch-lands.

Welcome to the South & to TGT.

leVieux

<>
    There is a closer national forest than the Kisatchie. The National Forests and Grasslands of Texas is about an hour or two north of Orange.

plloyd2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2023
    Mauriceville, Texas
    We were members until recently at 1-100. Had a pretty terrible experience with the folks last time we went in, so cancelled.

Can you talk a little bit aboit Copper Bullet? I stumbled on the website recently but there isn't a ton of info there. Seems tactical shooting focused --- do they have a bunch of steel? Do USPSA etc?
    I took my son there for his birthday. They have a handgun/tactical area. It was pretty fun. You can plink some steel there. Not a lot of places have that around here. As far as the long range I didn’t make it that far because it was about 120° in the shade. I couldn’t hang. Super nice people though. I would definitely recommend copper bullet.

larcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2023
    Orange
    I took my son there for his birthday. They have a handgun/tactical area. It was pretty fun. You can plink some steel there. Not a lot of places have that around here. As far as the long range I didn’t make it that far because it was about 120° in the shade. I couldn’t hang. Super nice people though. I would definitely recommend copper bullet.
    I missed this post, thanks for the info.

We ended up starting to shoot with SETPS at Orange gun club, and we bought some steels so been doing that.

Incidentall, we've started fishing at the gulf and have been having fun.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Welcome again, from the ‘Trans-Sabine”, 100 miles to your East, on the Bayou.

Please visit my old Friend’s restaurant/meat market “Robert’s” over in Pinehurst/West Orange.

Our BOUDIN is a regional delicacy, much better than that in France.

Robert Martinez was adopted & raised by two older Cajun butchers; experts @ charcuterie. Robert’s boudin ranks with the best anywhere.

leVieux

<>

Last edited:

larcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2023
    Orange
    <>

Welcome again, from the ‘Trans-Sabine”, 100 miles to your East, on the Bayou.

Please visit my old Friend’s restaurant/meat market “Robert’s” over in Pinehurst/West Orange.

Our BOUDIN is a regional delicacy, much better than that in France.

Robert Martinez was adopted & raised by two older Cajun butchers; experts @ charcuterie. Robert’s boudin ranks with the best anywhere.

leVieux

<>
    Thank you!

The cajun culture aspect of living here is one of the things I'm liking the most. Robert's is great, been there a handful if times. 10 minute drive from our house :)

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Hi!

My wife and I moved to Orange from NW Indiana/Chicago area about 18 months ago. Enjoying Texas quite a bit and loving the cajun food where we are.

We've both been clay shooters for quite a long time, and recently have been bitten hard by the handgun bug, hard. Planning on getting involved with the USPSA/Steel Challenge folks at our local range here.

I was pretty active on thr Indiana equivalent to this forum, and am glad this is here in Texas :)
    Howdy from Humble, TX. Glad you made it to Texas.My daughter is a sporting clay shooter as well as Trap, skeet, and whizbang and FITASC. I have met coaches from Orange and they utilize the Orange Gun club but they also go to do sporting clay at the ranges in Liberty, TX Claymound Sporting Center. Next time you are at Orange Gun club ask for Roby or Cris Clausen as they work more with 4H kids but they can point you in the right direction for other nearby locations.

UPDATE: Claymound Sporting Center is closed forever. Talk to the 4H coaches at Orange Gun club

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

As our major cities go further off the leftist cliff, we in the smaller cities & rural areas tend to seek our fellows in other states. That’s how we got WEST Virginia once upon. a time.

Today, Eastern Washington & Oregon seek to depart their states to attach to IDAHO.

We in LA have turned from New Orleans and seek refuge with TEXAS !

<>

larcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2023
    Orange
    Howdy from Humble, TX. Glad you made it to Texas.My daughter is a sporting clay shooter as well as Trap, skeet, and whizbang and FITASC. I have met coaches from Orange and they utilize the Orange Gun club but they also go to do sporting clay at the ranges in Liberty, TX Claymound Sporting Center. Next time you are at Orange Gun club ask for Roby or Cris Clausen as they work more with 4H kids but they can point you in the right direction for other nearby locations.

UPDATE: Claymound Sporting Center is closed forever. Talk to the 4H coaches at Orange Gun club
    Ahhhh bummer. Thanks for the tip regardless though!

larcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2023
    Orange
    <>

As our major cities go further off the leftist cliff, we in the smaller cities & rural areas tend to seek our fellows in other states. That’s how we got WEST Virginia once upon. a time.

Today, Eastern Washington & Oregon seek to depart their states to attach to IDAHO.

We in LA have turned from New Orleans and seek refuge with TEXAS !

<>
    I went major metro ==> midsize city ==> small city outskirts.

Next and hopefully last move will be somewhere I can't see the neighbors lights and I don't need to worry about air rifle backstops.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Ahhhh bummer. Thanks for the tip regardless though!

I am so sorry. I also found out that Pecan Meadow in Liberty also shut down and became a steak competition arena thus closing shop on shotgun competitions. Orange Gun club is the closest to you otherwise you will need to visit Greater Houston Gun club in Pearland, Blackwood Gun club in Conroe, and Westside shooting Club in Brookshire if you want Sporting Clay fields.

larcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2023
    Orange
    I am so sorry. I also found out that Pecan Meadow in Liberty also shut down and became a steak competition arena thus closing shop on shotgun competitions. Orange Gun club is the closest to you otherwise you will need to visit Greater Houston Gun club in Pearland, Blackwood Gun club in Conroe, and Westside shooting Club in Brookshire if you want Sporting Clay fields.
    Appreciate you taking the time to post them up :)

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Appreciate you taking the time to post them up :)
    Anytime, I would not let the distance throw you off as they are awesome ranges and two of them are NSCA certified especially Greater Houston Gun Club and Westside. I also forgot to mention ASC in Houston in George Bush Park also has sporting clay fields. My daughter is a 4H, SCTP, NSCA, NSSA, and ATA shooter and she loves sporting clay although trap and whizbang are her specialty plus she does lots of skeet and double skeet shooting. This is her last year being a 4H and SCTP member as she graduates this year but she will continue being NSCA and ATA certified and shoot under ACUI banner for the college team she decides to shoot under.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom