• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I would stick with 223. Don't skimp on barrel, or trigger, or bolt. I would check out ranier arms barrels, in my opinion, they have some of the most accurate barrels on the market for the best value, too. ALG also makes a great trigger. DO NOT try giving an AR trigger a trigger job unless you are a talented smith.

Sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom
    Bah to all that.

223 is boring and AR triggers are easy to work on.
    ARJ Defense ad

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    How is 223 boring? I can easily shoot my 223 sbr out to 500yds with boring regularity. That's with an 11" barrel. Throw in a 16" select or ultra match, and you have a half moa or better gas gun. 6.5 is just a pain in the ass to deal with. Sub par 7.62x39 bolts, limited barrel selection, etc. Its gunna be hard to build something in that caliber for that price range

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    How is 223 boring? I can easily shoot my 223 sbr out to 500yds with boring regularity. That's with an 11" barrel. Throw in a 16" select or ultra match, and you have a half moa or better gas gun. 6.5 is just a pain in the ass to deal with. Sub par 7.62x39 bolts, limited barrel selection, etc. Its gunna be hard to build something in that caliber for that price range

That is what makes it boring. I can buy a 1/2 moa 223 for $1000.

Everybody has a 223 AR. That by itself makes it boring.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've got all the AR tools you'll need. You're more than welcome to come up here and use my stuff. And trust me, I've got enough spare parts lying around to build another one.

Dang, wish I had a need for a pressure transducer. LOL
    I can hook you up. I've got a couple of dudes on here with start of the art barometers.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Good luck calling a hit at 800+ on steel with any decent wind at all running a 223. Then again my definition of long range may be different. My 20" 223 was terrible at 1000 if the ground was wet at all. No splash what so ever and when I did connect on steel you couldn't hear it so your shooting fundamentals better be on point to call the shot or have a spotter. The heavier hitters are far easier in all aspects when it comes to long range. I can bang my IPSC silhouette at 800yds with my 11.5 and red dot but that doesn't mean it's a good choice for that.

All that to say the Grendel is a dandy for what you're wanting to do. If you don't reload factory ammo is decent but as always reloading is best when you start talking about stretching it on out there.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I just got my 264 ARP(improved Grendel) barrel in this week. Should have it up and running in a couple weeks. You're more than welcome to check it out. I'm also right up the road from you too. I'll be reloading for it though as I do with my other cartridges. Mine is intended to be a time filler between my long range bolt guns cooling down. That's what my 20" 223 was but it just didn't cut it for 1000yd work on anything but the most perfect of days. A 223 bolt gun that can be loaded long with a high BC bullet is a different story but the 77s just don't cut it for 800+ work in my opinion. My next cartridge will be the 22x6.8, 75gr amaxs at 3000+ from a 20" is a tough customer and cheapish to shoot as well.

The Grendel for me is just an experiment because I like trying new stuff and have only loaded for one that a friend owned.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Good luck calling a hit at 800+ on steel with any decent wind at all running a 223. Then again my definition of long range may be different. My 20" 223 was terrible at 1000 if the ground was wet at all. No splash what so ever and when I did connect on steel you couldn't hear it so your shooting fundamentals better be on point to call the shot or have a spotter. The heavier hitters are far easier in all aspects when it comes to long range. I can bang my IPSC silhouette at 800yds with my 11.5 and red dot but that doesn't mean it's a good choice for that.

All that to say the Grendel is a dandy for what you're wanting to do. If you don't reload factory ammo is decent but as always reloading is best when you start talking about stretching it on out there.
    I've rev-loaded a bunch of pistol rounds. I'm willing to start up with real man rounds.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    If you're not in any rush I can show you how to reload for it easily. Although it'll be no different than my process for other precision rounds. You're more than welcome to stop by some time and check out my means/methods. I've also got all the tools to assemble your rifle if you need them. Mine should be up and running within the next month or so. Got a few other projects on my plate that need finished and hornady dies are on back order right now.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    What rail are you planning on running? The BCM KMR, and the Geissele rails both look great paired with your new upper.

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    Thanks for the info. Nothing's decided yet.

If you're undecided still, let me throw the SHARPS 25-45 into the hat. The round requires only a barrel change on any AR15 chambered in .223/5.56 to fire the 87gr bullet @ 3,000fps with 1,738 ft.lbs. of energy at the muzzle from a 24" barrel. Everything from the barrels to reloading dies can be bought straight from Sharps Rifle Company.

Another option for the SHARPS 25-45 barrel, is to use Black Hole Weaponry to order a custom barrel like THIS 24" variant.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If you're undecided still, let me throw the SHARPS 25-45 into the hat. The round requires only a barrel change on any AR15 chambered in .223/5.56 to fire the 87gr bullet @ 3,000fps with 1,738 ft.lbs. of energy at the muzzle from a 24" barrel. Everything from the barrels to reloading dies can be bought straight from Sharps Rifle Company.

Another option for the SHARPS 25-45 barrel, is to use Black Hole Weaponry to order a custom barrel like THIS 24" variant.
    Black powder and ARs wouldn't mix well.

Sorry, being from Sharps it sounds black powderish.

Carry on.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    If you're not in any rush I can show you how to reload for it easily. Although it'll be no different than my process for other precision rounds. You're more than welcome to stop by some time and check out my means/methods. I've also got all the tools to assemble your rifle if you need them. Mine should be up and running within the next month or so. Got a few other projects on my plate that need finished and hornady dies are on back order right now.
    Robert.. listen to this man....his reloading/man cave/general badassery room is.....well....badass!

I am curious as well about taking an AR platform out to 800+ so consider me interested as well!

Top Bottom