• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    I've just gotten my first .30-30 lever gun and I promised myself that when I did I was going to start reloading... after accumulating some empties that is.

There's a gun show in El Paso this weekend where I'm going to try to pick up some primers and powder (and avoid the hazmat fee), and I was also thinking about getting one of the Classic Lee loader kits since they're an inexpensive beginning, but seem to contain all the necessary tools. For the bullets I'd like to get the Hornady Leverevolution. I've seen other bullets at MidwayUSA that say they have a polymer tip, are they the same as the Hornady bullets, i.e. can I load them in my rifle's tubular magazine without getting fragged? Are there any recommended powders or Primers? Any other recomendations?

Thanks for your help...
    Texas SOT

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    You're not avoiding the Hazmat, it's been marked up and hidden in the retail price of the powder and primers.

Seriously, shop the internet before you go, and have a plan for how much you're willing to reasonably spend for these items before you drop your trousers.

andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    Re dropping the trousers: some days they seem more down than up.

I was planning on researching what primers and powder were worth (at least in a general fashion) before going. It just seems crazy to have to pay almost $30 just for the priviledge of buying a box of primers and getting them shipped to me. I'm not going to be doing it big time, 500 primers will probably last me all year... maybe 2... though you never know...

I am going to be doing it cheaply just so I can shoot more, but there is some appeal to being able to tailor a round to exactly what I want...

Andrew

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hi Andrew....welcome!

You made reference to the pointed bullet hazard in tubular magazines. It's not something to mess with! There are special round nose bullets designed for the 30-30 tubular magazines and I wouldn't use anything else unless shooting single loading.

Midway carries the Hornady bullets with the plastic tip for the tube magazines. I have NOT used these. 30 cents each...gulp!
    LEVERevolution Bullets 30-30 Winchester (308 Diameter) 160 Grain Flex Tip eXpanding Box of 100

The more traditional flat/round tips are more familiar to me:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...-308-diameter-150-grain-flat-nose-power-point

Under recoil, would a pointed bullet set off the round in front of it in that tube magazine? I don't know. It's a wager and it depends a lot on how much you value your face, left hand and your rifle. The Savage (Model 99, I believe) lever rifles rotated the position of the cartridges so the point of the bullet tip wouldn't touch the primer of the round in front of it. That's an option for you.

Flash

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Re dropping the trousers: some days they seem more down than up.

I was planning on researching what primers and powder were worth (at least in a general fashion) before going. It just seems crazy to have to pay almost $30 just for the priviledge of buying a box of primers and getting them shipped to me. I'm not going to be doing it big time, 500 primers will probably last me all year... maybe 2... though you never know...

I am going to be doing it cheaply just so I can shoot more, but there is some appeal to being able to tailor a round to exactly what I want...

Andrew

I didn't realize you were looking for such a small quantity. Got a Cabela's/Bass Pro/Gander Mtn close by?

andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    I'm new to the El Paso area, but I don't recall seeing/hearing of them, I'll ask around...

It's probable that if I can do it cheap enough I'll end up shooting more.

andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    Midway was where I was looking at bullets. I noticed they had blemished bullets at discount prices (100 for $14.69), one that interested me was the polymer tipped 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 160 Grain Polymer Tip Spitzer Box of 100 (Bulk Packaged) I was wondering if the polymer tip was the same as the Hornady Leverevolution bullets?

Re single-shooting, I'm ok with that and will do it when I get into reloading, I'll probably end up trying all manner of different bullets.

I also thought of other lever guns. The Browning BLR series use box magazines, but I've got this thing about lever guns that I've had since I was a kid. It's not a true lever gun unless it has the tubular magazine...

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The Savage 99 had a tubular magazine but the cartridges were stored in a helix ....like stripes on a barber pole within the magazine.

Flash

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    I hope you have (and have read) at least one reloading manual before starting the quest for primers, powders, bullets, presses, etc. It's always good to know exactly what you are getting into before buying stuff you might or might not need or want. Lyman's #49 is a great manual and The ABC's of Reloading has a ton of info as well. Good luck in getting all the items you need to get started.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Best 2 powders for the .30-30 are Varget and Leverevolution. Lever, of course, was specifically developed for the .30-30 and does a great job. Not always the easiest powder to find, but well worth it. Varget works well in any small cased rifles - .30-30, .223, etc.

The hardest thing to find these days are the round or flat-nosed bullets specifically for tube magazines. If you find some at a good price, buy 'em!

Lee dies are every bit as good as any of the other brands and will usually save you some money. If you're new to reloading, look on Lee's web site for some of the reloading kits with all the gadgets you need in one box. Then check at Midway USA or Brownells or Midsouth or Grafs to see if they've got that kit on sale. (Usually at least one reseller will have one on sale.)

andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    Best 2 powders for the .30-30 are Varget and Leverevolution. Lever, of course, was specifically developed for the .30-30 and does a great job. Not always the easiest powder to find, but well worth it. Varget works well in any small cased rifles - .30-30, .223, etc.

The hardest thing to find these days are the round or flat-nosed bullets specifically for tube magazines. If you find some at a good price, buy 'em!

Lee dies are every bit as good as any of the other brands and will usually save you some money. If you're new to reloading, look on Lee's web site for some of the reloading kits with all the gadgets you need in one box. Then check at Midway USA or Brownells or Midsouth or Grafs to see if they've got that kit on sale. (Usually at least one reseller will have one on sale.)
    Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind. I've seen some small Lee loader kits on eBay, I might get one of them, after checking prices of course.

andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    I hope you have (and have read) at least one reloading manual before starting the quest for primers, powders, bullets, presses, etc. It's always good to know exactly what you are getting into before buying stuff you might or might not need or want. Lyman's #49 is a great manual and The ABC's of Reloading has a ton of info as well. Good luck in getting all the items you need to get started.
    I do most of my reading about that kinda stuff online nowadays, but I have heard of some good books that I will get. I have no intention of buying something I don't need, I can't afford it anyway, I plan to start out with as little as possible and build up as I need to.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Since you are local, I will offer some advice.

Probably won't find any "deals" on powder or primers at the gun show in El Paso. Will be lucky to find any here at all. If you do, there will not be any kind of selection.

As already stated, look online . You can save on hazmat fees by ordering in bulk. You need to find someone that reloads and combine your orders.

You really won't save any money, for a long time, with the amount you say you are gonna shoot.

Considering the cost to start reloading and time spent....it will take you years to recoup your investment.

When I started reloading, it took me a year to recoup my money....and I shot alot.

If you are in it to make a better round and have lots of free time, then go for it.

It is alot of work. I made about 15,000 rounds in the last 4 months, for this gun show, so I know of what I speak.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    For the bullets I'd like to get the Hornady Leverevolution. I've seen other bullets at MidwayUSA that say they have a polymer tip, are they the same as the Hornady bullets, i.e. can I load them in my rifle's tubular magazine without getting fragged?

Absolutely not. They are not the same thing as the LeveRevolution bullets and could frag.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The Savage 99 has a box mag with a rotery spool like a manlicher, not a tube.

That's correct and I'm sorry my memory seems to have skipped a beat. I have the picture in my head of this tube magazine and thought sure it was a Savage 99. I'll figure it out. Thanks for the correction!

Flah

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom