• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    Since you are local, I will offer some advice.

Probably won't find any "deals" on powder or primers at the gun show in El Paso. Will be lucky to find any here at all. If you do, there will not be any kind of selection.

As already stated, look online . You can save on hazmat fees by ordering in bulk. You need to find someone that reloads and combine your orders.

You really won't save any money, for a long time, with the amount you say you are gonna shoot.

Considering the cost to start reloading and time spent....it will take you years to recoup your investment.

When I started reloading, it took me a year to recoup my money....and I shot alot.

If you are in it to make a better round and have lots of free time, then go for it.

It is alot of work. I made about 15,000 rounds in the last 4 months, for this gun show, so I know of what I speak.
    I'm not going to buy any fancy equipment, I can get a small set of tools from Lee for about $30, a pound of powder, a box of primers and bullets. I'm already accumulating empties. I figure that I'll be reloading for about a $100-150 investment. I might have to buy a case resizing tool too, since the Lee set will resize just the neck.

As for having the time, I'm retired, all I need is some cheaper ammo and I can spend more time at the range.

You're doing it to make money, I'm doing it to save mine. It'll be worth it...
    Texas SOT

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    When I was in college, I didn't have two dimes to run together and started reloading with a "Lee Loader". I still have the .45acp and 38/357 Lee Loaders that I used back then and heaven only knows how many rounds were loaded on them. I shot my reloads after class at trash dumps then came home, watched TV while tap-tap-tap I reloaded for the next day. I did that for years until I got out of school, got to work and bought better reloading gear.

OH...homework.....I did that, too. Actually, I did pretty well in school.

Flash

andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    When I was in college, I didn't have two dimes to run together and started reloading with a "Lee Loader". I still have the .45acp and 38/357 Lee Loaders that I used back then and heaven only knows how many rounds were loaded on them. I shot my reloads after class at trash dumps then came home, watched TV while tap-tap-tap I reloaded for the next day. I did that for years until I got out of school, got to work and bought better reloading gear.

OH...homework.....I did that, too. Actually, I did pretty well in school.

Flash
    That's great, that's what I want to hear! I'm going to do it that way anyway, I might as well hear from someone who has had good experiences.
    I was at the El Paso gun show and randmplumbingllc was right, there was very little powder and primers there. At first I thought there wasn't any but then I managed to locate some and bought both primers and a pound of powder (one that I had recommended to me). I also found some ammo, Winchester super-x at very reasonable prices so I bought a couple of boxes.
    All in all it was a good day...

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    That's great, that's what I want to hear! I'm going to do it that way anyway, I might as well hear from someone who has had good experiences.
    I was at the El Paso gun show and randmplumbingllc was right, there was very little powder and primers there. At first I thought there wasn't any but then I managed to locate some and bought both primers and a pound of powder (one that I had recommended to me). I also found some ammo, Winchester super-x at very reasonable prices so I bought a couple of boxes.
    All in all it was a good day...

Was nice to meet you today. Glad you found something at the show that works for you.

Let us know your progress with loading.

andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    You said that the Lee kit will only size the neck? Lee has kits readily available with full length sizers included.
    The kit I'm looking at is the small Lee Classic Lee Loader, which contains everything needed to reload for ~$39. No press, just dies etc that are used with a hammer (I have to supply the hammer). This kit only does a resize on the neck, doesn't check the length. I'll probably use a vernier and measure all of the cases prior to reloading and set aside the long ones until I get the case gauge/cutter... I do have a question about the Lee kits that have the full length sizer: I don't see any mention of cutting the case down, just put it in the press. Does it not cut anything off the case? Just... compresses it?

andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    Was nice to meet you today. Glad you found something at the show that works for you.

Let us know your progress with loading.
    It was good meeting you too. I'm hoping to be doing reloads by this time next month, I will keep you posted.

My only concern about the Lee Classic Lee Loader (that tiny kit that I'm going to start off with) is that I don't see much mention of crimping, and it sounds like that would be a requirement for ammo for a tube-magazined, lever action gun. I'm still going to start with that kit, but I might have to use my reloads single-shot fashion... I wonder if I can get the Lee Factory Crimp die (intended for a press) but smack it with a mallet to crimp the case?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    A kit with a press is the most basic starter set that I would start with. You will quickly graduate out of the hand loader/ hammer setups that they will be a waste of money IMO. Start with a press kit. They are cheap enough and good enough that they will serve you for many years.

You need to full length resize any case for a repeating rifle (yours) so a press is necessary. You will find that any kit with less than that is just plain too much work for rifle reloading. Spend a little more to start.

Lee also makes cutting setups for that caliber. They are cheap enought to do the job economically. Don't forget a chamfering tool too.

Sometimes cheap is just too cheap and a waste. It isn't going to cost too much more to do it right the first time.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Neck sizing of the Lee Loader kits work pretty well and neck sizing works especially well when reloading for one specific rifle. The case expands like a balloon under firing and a new bullet would drop right into the case, so the neck sizer restores that dimension back to unfired size. There's nothing wrong with neck sizing and it makes the brass last a long time because you don't resize the case repeatedly.

Neck sizing is also one of the options available for press dies. Normally, the dies neck size, full length resize or small base resize. There are others but those are the ones I've used.

I'd give the Lee Loader a "thumbs up" but it is SLOW. Just don't get in a hurry. I made a hinged wooden press to help me seat the bullets. I used it for a long time!

Flash

andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    I just finished my first box of reloads, the cartridge on the board is the first shell I have ever reloaded. I used the Lee Classic Loader and I have to say it was pretty easy... other than the primer that went off as I was trying to seat it. Guess that's why they want you to load the powder after the primer.
    DSC08033.jpg
    I put 30.3 gr of IMR4895 behind a Hornady FTX 160 gr. Now if I can get some range time...

p.s. The neck sizing works great and the Lee kit can also do the crimping. So far the only adddition I bought was one of the small Lee chamfer tools. I'd have to give Lee 2 thumbs up for bringing inexpensive reloading to us who cain't afford it...

texbiker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2012
    SE san antonio
    just don't try to empty the rifle as fast as you can. with the cases not being full length resized you may encounter feeding problems. depends on the rifle, some are more tolerant than others.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    On using your powder dipper. Take a container of powder and run the dipper through the powder. Take a small piece of cardboard and scrape off the top of the dipper. Do NOT tap or shake the dipper to level it. Done that way, your powder charges will be very consistent.

High Dollar powder measures do exactly what that dipper does. They take a volume of powder which equates to a powder charge by weight in grains (7000 grains to the pound). If you shake or bump the volume of powder, you pack it down and make that same volume heavier.

The rounds look pretty good! You seat the primers with a hammer and punch so be sure you wear safety glasses. I don't remember ever having a primer go off but it's possible. EDIT...I see that a primer went off! It can happen!

I checked your load in several manuals and it runs about one full grain below maximum. It should be OK but watch for very flat or cratered primers. You probably shouldn't get closer to max loads with a dipper. Incidentally, a digital scale is pretty inexpensive. Harbor Freight has a scale that measures in grains but does not give 1/10th of a grain. (nearest grain only) I usually use it for bullet weights. Price? $12 on sale! Their other scales do not measure in grains.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-gram-digital-scale-97920.html

Flash

andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    Thanks for the advice, re the dipper, I'll make sure I do that. And I'll look at Harbor freight's scales...

I finished loading the other 2 boxes of empties, but I had a few more primers go off. I think 5 in total while loading the 60 rds. I think I should get the tool for cleaning the primer pocket, maybe some dirt (ash whatever) is getting trapped between the primer and the shell and when I hammer the primer home there's enough pressure to set it off. Our maybe its that the pocket is dirty and it take greater than normal pressure to seat the primer.

And finally, my finger miss-typed the powder charge, I should have said 30.2 grs, but even that I didn't measure. That's what Lee said the weight was for 2.2 cc of IMR4895. 2.2 cc is the dipper size supplied with the .30-30 kit. They include a little chart for the different powders.

10mm and 45

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    San Antonio
    I have a RCBS partner press lying around. Its yours for free. If your in the San Antonio area its yours or I can mail it to ya when i find it.
    It was my first press and I have upgraded my press a while back.

andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    I have a RCBS partner press lying around. Its yours for free. If your in the San Antonio area its yours or I can mail it to ya when i find it.
    It was my first press and I have upgraded my press a while back.
    Wow! Really? That would be great! I'm in El Paso and it's a long drive, but I'll glady pay for the postage. I'll PM you my details...

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have never once set off a primer when seating them and I have loaded thousands of rounds over the last 3 years for 8 different calibers. Maybe you should invest in a lee auto-prime hand primer so you can feel the primer as it's seating. Or, so down a little and identify problems before they literally blow up in your face. I would have already stopped reloading if I had set off that many primers over that number of rounds.

Mr.Anderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Covington, Texas
    I lived in El Paso for almost 3 years and sadly the only real sports stores for you is Cabales, and that is up close to Eagle lake. It's about a two hour drive from El Paso. You can order alot of the things you will need from Cabales web site. Also there is a Bass Pro shops not to far from Silver City. You might want to ask the guys over at Sportmen Elite on Mesa Street acrost from the Wal-Mart, and Cold War Shooters about 2 miles down the road still on Mesa. Do not go to the academy there in town. Most of the people at that Academy are nothing but wanna be's.
    Hope that helps

andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    I have never once set off a primer when seating them and I have loaded thousands of rounds over the last 3 years for 8 different calibers. Maybe you should invest in a lee auto-prime hand primer so you can feel the primer as it's seating. Or, so down a little and identify problems before they literally blow up in your face. I would have already stopped reloading if I had set off that many primers over that number of rounds.
    Have you used the Lee Classic Reloader, the little kit you can buy for about $35? That's what I'm using and I'm having to hammer the case down onto a new primer. Accidentally setting off the primer doesn't bother me, and I'm not going to stop reloading just because of it.

I'm trying to analyze the problem and come up with an idea as to what's wrong. I'm still leaning to the idea of getting the 'primer pocket cleaner' and trying that. A dirty primer pocket could mean that extra force is required to hammer the primer into its recess. Also, the Lee priming chamber has a spring loaded washer that holds the primer centered. When the resized case is tapped down onto the priming chamber the washer retracts and the case is forced down over the new primer. I have noticed that sometimes the retractable washer gets cocked sideways slightly and doesn't sit flat in relation to the case. I've wondered if that could cause the new primer to be slightly cocked, in turn causing the primer to be pinched when I tap the case down onto it. The pinching might set off the primer. By not doing anything I'm not going to find the cause and subsequent cure...

You're probably using a press, and I wouldn't expect you to have any problems. If I was using a press right now, I would be surprised if I had the problems I'm seeing.

It's awkward trying to get a blown primer out of a case that has already been resized since the Lee 'decapper' won't fit in the resized neck. I'm having to use a pointed machinists scribe and gently tap on the end of it. In all cases I've been able to put a new primer in and continue with the reloading.

andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    I lived in El Paso for almost 3 years and sadly the only real sports stores for you is Cabales, and that is up close to Eagle lake. It's about a two hour drive from El Paso. You can order alot of the things you will need from Cabales web site. Also there is a Bass Pro shops not to far from Silver City. You might want to ask the guys over at Sportmen Elite on Mesa Street acrost from the Wal-Mart, and Cold War Shooters about 2 miles down the road still on Mesa. Do not go to the academy there in town. Most of the people at that Academy are nothing but wanna be's.
    Hope that helps
    I'm not quite sure how this got in this thread, but I'm always looking for good gunshops.

I've looked at the Cabelas website and it looks like the nearest store is in Buda TX or Ft Worth TX, about 605 miles away. Maybe their website is wrong... Also pretty much the same goes for Bass Pro...

Collector's Gun Exchange so far is the best I've found in El Paso, they're near Sportsmans Elite. Sportsman's is a shop that sells guns, I wouldn't call it a gun shop IMHO

Top Bottom