• Status
    Not open for further replies.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    It always bothers me a bit when I post something about an NFL game and I get all these " I don't watch NFL games because they're a bunch of overpaid entitlement spoiled athletes."

But yet, "Thank you for your service." is the standard response to the "I'm a vet."

So, let's look at each:

SOME NFL players ( a minority) fit that bill. The rest, are totally different animals. First off, the NFL is basically a free enterprise system. It's not funded by taxpayer money. ( Yes, I know what's coming, but I'm ready. ) The military, on the other hand is totally funded by taxpayer money.

Someone who has served in the military and never saw action, but wants to ride the coat tails of those who have made the supreme sacrifice make me a bit nauseous. They serve a purpose, as do National Guard members, as we need people at the ready. But to take a taxpayer funded ride around the world and make that your chest thumping claim to fame is just wrong.

One NFL player takes a knee, and the whole NFL is garbage. The truth is, besides being a valuable source of ENTERTAINMENT for millions of people, the average NFL player contributes heavily to many different philanthropic efforts, both financially and by hands on personal time and effort. The NFL contributes heavily to local economies wherever they call home, just economically through free enterprise.

Yeah, I guess Chad Hennings causes a real dilemma, huh? How about Pat Tillman? Can't be an American hero because he was an NFL player?

But another man who was shot down behind enemy lines and endured unthinkable torture recieved a ton of disrespect before he was cold and in the ground. But, nobody is dissing the whole military over one man's politics or military record.

Rant over....for now.
    Hurley's Gold

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    First: nfl players sacrifice for their own self interests.

Second: buncha garbage filler in there

Third: McCain was not treated like an average POW. It was well known who he was and he did anti American propaganda while in custody. His shitty deeds were buried due to his families political connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    The players who give to charities can keep on doing what they want with their millions. The football games are entertainment (and a private company). Once one player takes a knee or otherwise steps into the political arena, it ceases to be entertaining and becomes grotesque. I chose not to watch it for that reason. Let them protest, kneel, whatever on their own time. At the game it's my time and they are on the clock. If I were to do the same at my job and protest, I'd be run off. I have a solution: chop their legs off at the knee so they are "kneeling" ALL the time.

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    Your view of “military service” is so flawed, I don’t even know where to begin. You obviously have never served, so why even start a debate on something you know jack shit about?

You have specifically separated the National Guard from the rest of the military. The National Guard and Army Reserve during the War on Terror have had over 1225 KIA between Astan and Iraq. Over 10,000 WIA. I guess their taxpayer funded trip around the world did not go so well.

I am not sure if it’s your medication, alcohol abuse, or loneliness that makes you post stupid shit, but you need help.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Your view of “military service” is so flawed, I don’t even know where to begin. You obviously have never served, so why even start a debate on something you know jack shit about?

You have specifically separated the National Guard from the rest of the military. The National Guard and Army Reserve during the War on Terror have had over 1225 KIA between Astan and Iraq. Over 10,000 WIA. I guess their taxpayer funded trip around the world did not go so well.

I am not sure if it’s your medication, alcohol abuse, or loneliness that makes you post stupid shit, but you need help.

Did I say anything about National Guardsmen sailing around the world without seeing action? I made specific mention of the fact that they, and those in the military that never saw action, have value and are an intergral part of the military machine protecting our freedoms. The MAIN point was the disgust and disrespect I feel is when they ride the coattails of those that have given the ultimate sacrifice or are wounded warriors, and that's their claim to fame.

I never served. Does that make my opion worthless? Which NFL team did you play for? I live a stone throws away from the National Guard, literally. A quarter mile away away from Carswell.

My father served in Korea. My stepfather served in the Navy. My nephew served his stint in Afghanistan. Yet, none of them feel compelled to ride the coattails of their service. I did my time being raised by a guy who thought an 11 year old should be raised like a new recuit.

You have your perceptions, I have mine. You have your opinion, I have have mine. When you start belittling a man's opinion based on his past, well.....When you start attacking my opinion and accusing me of posting stupid and offer your completely unqualified opion in that area, you just show your closed mindined ignorance and ASS.

Feel free to disagree all day long, but if you think trying to discredit me with personal attacks makes your position stronger, perhaps you should go mirror shopping.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It's not funded by taxpayer money. ( Yes, I know what's coming, but I'm ready. ) The military, on the other hand is totally funded by taxpayer money.

Why did you say it since it is not true?

One NFL player takes a knee, and the whole NFL is garbage.

Actually it was hundreds who, one way or another, disrespected the Anthem/Flag.

How about Pat Tillman? Can't be an American hero because he was an NFL player?

Tillman had to quit the NFL, they would not give him a leave of absence. What does that say?

If you like your NFL, keep your NFL, dont worry what the rest of us think.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Thanks, that section was so offensive I ignored it to avoid getting banned.

Hill Billy

USN 1974 -1977
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2018
    Colorado
    When I was a kid, I loved going to baseball games. As I got older, there were more important things to do: Clean the gutters, mow the lawn, take out the trash, fix shit, change the oil, etc. pay the bills, etc., on and on ad, nausium. So why would I PAY a bunch of jack-asses for playing a game?
    Honestly, I haven't watched a baseball game, a hockey game, a football game for over 5 years. PHUK 'em!

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I typed out a long response but then I deleted it. The comparison between veterans to petulant criminals who throw a ball around for a living is pretty crazy.

These cons hate you for so many different reasons and you still put money in their pockets. Then you post about this bullshit on here and expect principled people to give two shits about the NFL and the convicts that make up 3/4 of their player base. If you want to watch this trash, go for it. You post on here about it and we are going to tell you that the trash you like is trash. Sorry we can't just look the other way at an organization that thinks its alright to shit on our flag.

PS: The NFL sucks ass

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    The other side of the Guard: When called into service, a plethora of them were dragged kicking, screaming and crying, because they thought their second job playing soldiers on the weekends wasn't going to involve the potential active service they signed up for.

As I said before, those never called served their country in a vital role, as did all military vets who never saw action. The difference is, those that didn't see action, boasting on their service like it comes close to a level of those that did.

The reason I singled out the National Guard is that, at least those full time military vets that never saw action, gave up civilian jobs, time with family and loved ones, and were on the job 24/7. Merely pointing out that generalities are ALWAYS wrong.

Again, my opinion, sorry, but if you have to have hands on, personal experience and expertise in every area you want to post an opinion on, well....then all non NFL members need to STFU.

I don't propose to control or regulate control of this thread, nor was it my intent to stir up a hornest's nest of opinionated hate, but hopefully, a thoughtful debate that might make some step out of their opionated hatred long enough to at least view a different opinion open mindedly, and post their view civilly.

Despite what you may believe, ( certain people ), there are at LEAST 2 sides to every story.

I certainly don't defend nor deny that their are worthless individuals in the NFL. Entitled crimminals who should be looking up and giving thanks rolling out of bed in the morning, instead of after they make a touchdown and do some goofy arse end zone celebration.

Comparing some overpaid bench jockey to a veteran who never served WOULD be ignorant and stupid. But lumping in the NFL's good guys with the bad is just as wrong.

I'm certainly not trying to discourage anyone from posting their opinion, much less discourage them from exercising their freedom to choose to support their right to choose to support their beliefs financially.

Just hate blanket statements lumping and condemning a whole group based on the actions of a few.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    As far as privately funded, and not government taxpayer funded. Break it down as you like, but the stadiums are ( correct me if I'm wrong, funded by proposals voted on by the taxpayers ( private contributions through the gov, or gov distributed taxpayer funds without representation?)

Back to "funded". Are taxpayers funding a stadium when the tax dollars returns exceed the outlay?

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013

And.........................we have a winner.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    I never served. Does that make my opion worthless? Which NFL team did you play for? I live a stone throws away from the National Guard, literally. A quarter mile away away from Carswell.

Every one has an opinion, not every one has the same value.
    I am biased, I hate football and I am patriotic. I never served in the military btw either.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom