• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    I left the car loaded, I am not motivated enough to go through all that right now lol. At any rate, I will probably be headed out there during this week at some point.

TheCytochromeC

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    DFW
    I'm home now. It only took 20 minutes to unload the car, lol.

i don't always meet a group of strangers at the range, but when I do, I bring enough hardware.

No joke! That was a sight to see for sure. So.... when are we actually going to shoot?

CitizenSeven

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Dallas
    It was disappointing, but there's nothing you can do about the weather. I think the range may have even gotten a bit more rain; we hit some drizzling about ten minutes after leaving.

Considering the weather, first time attempted, and the fact that it was Mothers day, it was a pretty good turnout: there must have been nearly 20 people at the gate as of 07:45. It was great meeting everyone, and I hope we can make it a regular thing grounds permitting.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Carrollton, TX
    BigBoss031 - later in the week may work depending on how bad it rains M/T. PM me since I may go out as well to re-zero my ACOG for the warm weather.

The forecast is mixed this week and there is a huge suppressor event at Fusion this Saturday, hosted by S.A.W. Do we want to try again on Sunday or wait another week? It would be nice to eventually schedule regular monthly events.

thx!

- jim

TheCytochromeC

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    DFW
    BigBoss031 - later in the week may work depending on how bad it rains M/T. PM me since I may go out as well to re-zero my ACOG for the warm weather.

The forecast is mixed this week and there is a huge suppressor event at Fusion this Saturday, hosted by S.A.W. Do we want to try again on Sunday or wait another week? It would be nice to eventually schedule regular monthly events.

thx!

- jim

I would hold off another week for two reasons, first and foremost - I won't be available. Secondly, it will give those who'd care to attend a bit more notice. That's just my two cents though.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    I have had a day to think about this and i have some questions.
    Why did this happen? This was planed for over a month and it was on the website of the range.
    Why wasn't there something said about the range condition a day or two before?
    why didn't we have the gate combination?
    Why were we there so long before someone showed up with answers? If it is normally a self monitored range, i can understand this one.
    I had a good amount of time and effort into this trip. I rearranged my mothers day plans, made new target stands, replaced batteries, loaded a bunch of stuff, bought food and drinks, and drove a good ways.
    I am willing to do it all again, but i would appreciate some input so this doesn't happen to me, or others, in the future. On occasion i drive to a range in Paris that had a similar prep load, so the effort is common for me. The difference is i know in advance, what to expect.
    Understand that i am not blaming any individual, just the process that allowed it to happen. If we are going to do a monthly thing out there, this type of issue should not be allowed to happen again.
    Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Carrollton, TX
    I have had a day to think about this and i have some questions.
    Why did this happen? This was planed for over a month and it was on the website of the range.
    Why wasn't there something said about the range condition a day or two before?
    why didn't we have the gate combination?
    Why were we there so long before someone showed up with answers? If it is normally a self monitored range, i can understand this one.
    I had a good amount of time and effort into this trip. I rearranged my mothers day plans, made new target stands, replaced batteries, loaded a bunch of stuff, bought food and drinks, and drove a good ways.
    I am willing to do it all again, but i would appreciate some input so this doesn't happen to me, or others, in the future. On occasion i drive to a range in Paris that had a similar prep load, so the effort is common for me. The difference is i know in advance, what to expect.
    Understand that i am not blaming any individual, just the process that allowed it to happen. If we are going to do a monthly thing out there, this type of issue should not be allowed to happen again.
    Leper

As best I can understand (as I made a significant drive and reschedule of time as well).

The range is adjacent to Cousins Paintball. Fusion is working on excavating a new entrance to avoid having to drive around Cousins. It appears as if the gate lock leading into the paintball range entrance was changed and the old lock moved to the newer entrance. That's why the combo. did not work. I don't know who did the change (although most likely someone from Cousins) and the the correct combo. worked at the new entrance.

Often, the members do a lot of the range monitoring.

Weather is always fickle. The range and entrance condition can change radically from day to day as I've experienced often in the past. I've been out the day after a very hard rain and it's doable. You just can't tell for sure 1-2 days in advance. There was, in fact, very dramatic improvement from Sat. afternoon to Sunday AM. I did place a call late Sat. afternoon, but did not get a callback or email.

In the future, I'd suggest that if there is rain 1-2 days in advance of a planned event, let me drive out to the range and do an on-site inspection. Then, I'll post a go/no go on the forum. If it's a no-go, then I'll write it off as a visit to my parent's house.

Hope this helps,

- jim

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Wow.

Glad I did not make the journey. Pretty shitty way to treat customers.

That is not the point I was trying to make. This was a first run. Stuff happens. I want to make sure it is a learning experience that doesn't get repeated. I am unsure if any of the actual staff was involved. That is a question I should have asked in the first place. We need eyes on, its as simple as that. A local to the place could do a short run and report conditions the day before. The owners could post an update on conditions on their website if it has functions for such. This is what I will be looking for, before the next try. If I need to go have a look for myself, I am willing to do that, the night before, if I am going to be at that meet.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Carrollton, TX
    Since the majority of the road to the range when passing by Cousins (the entrance where we were gathered) is dirt, the only plausible way to the range was through the new entrance, which has only been partially excavated and constructed. There is still one choke point that is surrounded by trees, so it is not possible to drive around. The area in between is still dirt and that was just too soft. Dane (the Fusion RSO) and I drove there in his Jeep.

Either someone gets stuck or we tear up the ground to a point that it takes longer and costs more to repair and finish the entrance (more likely the former). And, we could not examine the remainder of the path to the range without making it past that one point.

We gave it every possible chance to work, but that one point in the path just did not cooperate.

thanks,

- jim

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Either someone gets stuck or we tear up the ground to a point that it takes longer and costs more to repair and finish the entrance (more likely the former). And, we could not examine the remainder of the path to the range without making it past that one point.

thanks,

- jim
    I used to spend a lot of time off-road, and I am a big believer in the tread lightly motto. No need to tear the ground up. Like you said, it's just not worth it.

I agree we just need to set another one up. They are tied up this weekend, so maybe the next?

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I agree we just need to set another one up. They are tied up this weekend, so maybe the next?

I'm on the lease at Mickey's and it takes a while for the black gumbo to dry out enough walk on without gaining 1/2" in height with each step.

CitizenSeven

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Dallas
    Is there a date for rescheduling? I assume not this weekend. I would suggest that next weekend might not be the best (Memorial Day) and I suspect many have other plans. First Sunday in June, the first?

Top Bottom