NRA Annual Meeting - Post your impressions, pics, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    nra5867_zps7158fbb5.jpg

A leather version of the Vibram FiveFingers footwear? Interesting but I don't see how they could be as comfortable as the original.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Someone told me that they had set their phone down on a counter to get an autograph and forgot it. Went back too hours later and it was still there.
    I'm sure there were a number of examples of honorable behavior. That's the way shooters are. I'll bet the number of examples of honorable behavior totally dwarfed the instances of petty theft.

Still, I was filling out raffle tickets at the Whittington Center booth yesterday and I'm sorry to say I was too engrossed in writing my name and phone numbers for the 25th time to mentally change gears and intervene when a passerby furtively glanced around, snaked out a hand, scooped up a huge pile of pens from the desk, and then melted into the crowd. This wasn't someone who forgot to hand back a pen after doing business; it was deliberate "I can get away with it so I will", shoplifting-style theft.

I told the folks at the booth what happened and they said they'd been losing pens at a problematic rate to people who forgot to hand them back after filling out tickets but that this was new.

Not getting to see something I wanted to was a minor disappointment here and there throughout the show but I have weird tastes and not everyone brings every weird gun in their catalog. This, however, was the only truly disheartening thing I witnessed during the entire three days I was there.

While I could have let it depress me, I prefer to look on the bright side. By rarity and contrast that incident just proves what I deeply believe. Shooters have flaws like all humans but, by and large, they're a better brand of humanity.

5 Screw Smith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Atascosa Co.
    Two friends of mine and I traveled to Houson for the event yesterday from Pleasanton. This was a first time NRA event for all of us. What stood out was the civility of the attendees in the convention hall. People were polite, courteous, and friendly.

The media was also there giving all their attention to the handful of protestors across the street.

Last edited:

Trueno

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    Golden Triangle
    Saw an interesting drum setup for Remingtons (and Mossbergs?). It was ambi, drum could be loaded "forward or backward" meaning insert the rounds in one direction and it was righthand friendly...insert the rounds in the other direction and it could be used by a southpaw.

Price point was $275. :p

Last edited:

Trueno

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    Golden Triangle
    Some guys from Kali were selling knockoff bipods and copies of UTG scope mounts for AK's. They were near the door in Hall B, next to the pizza area. Had VFG's (w/batt compartment etc) for $5...yep, $5.00 eack. Bipods were $15, scope mounts at $20 each. Various types of scope rings were $10 a set.

eta - appears this was the bunch from C&C Outdoor Products
    http://ccop-usa.com/

t

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Taya Kyle ('American Sniper' Chris Kyle's Widow) - 2013 NRA Annual Meetings - 2013.05.03

If you do not shed tears please, turn off the world and do some soul searching.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Thanks for that video, Glockster.

Not sure that products reports are really appropriate for this thread any more but I'll post 'em, anyway, after a bit.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Saturday, Day 3

I put in a marathon push to get to every booth in the place and managed to get it done. How hard did I push? I actually didn't notice *any* of the "booth babes" until I had nearly finished. I was too busy looking at product. When I was completely done and just walking back to the hotel, I saw them everywhere.

Clearly, there's something wrong with me.

I sometimes forget it's a trade show.

There were a bunch of "services to the industry" exhibitors, the folks who see things that us plain old shooters would never think about. Range builders, financial services, some insurance products, etc. For example, these folks from Payment Alliance were offering credit card services and wireless readers to retailers. People have to sell stuff like that so that our favorite ranges can conduct business. I shouldn't have been surprised to see them and similar other booths at the GRB.

DSC_0056_zpsb600d786.jpg

When it comes to "services to the industry", what is more hardcore than ballistics testing fixtures? My bad for not getting the name of the company; I thought I'd be able to read the card in the picture. I seem to remember them as being somewhat local to Houston. Did anybody catch their name?

Anyway, this is the small fixture they brought for display. The large one looked like something from a railroad fabrication yard.

DSC_0064_zpsadbfb8be.jpg

Carry Options

There were still more carry options for women.

My Handgun Purse was the definition of ranch bling.

DSC_0005_zps194c5dc5.jpg

Of course, Flash Bang was there.

DSC_0006_zps3c3638b6.jpg

CCW Breakaways is now offering purses and belts

DSC_0069_zps12370eca.jpg

in addition to the first product they broke with, their breakaway-pocket pants with integral holster for front-pocket carry.

DSC_0070_zps3b3acc76.jpg

A while back, I remember someone here on the forum suggesting Kangaroo Carry so I took a picture. I doubt they make these things big enough to encircle my considerable girth but the concept looks more than workable.

DSC_0011_zps18beec55.jpg

EAA

One of my favorite booths was EAA. No, not for this reason.

DSC_0075_zps09721965.jpg

I'm not sure if that particular customer aspired to being a great shooter and wanted the poster for inspiration or if she wanted to be a model. The politically correct take is "In this modern world, you can be anything you want to be." I think I'll leave it at that.

EAA interests me simply because I really like their Italian-made iterations of the basic CZ75 design. They had the full range on display.

DSC_0073_zps6f1d1a0e.jpg

This one, however, jumped out at me. It's an uncatalogued Witness Gold variation featuring a long-slide configuration with cuts to remove slide weight. Interestingly, it's not ported. For some shooting games, the rules forbid porting. I wonder if I would have bought my Witness Elite Limited if I had seen this first? I kinda doubt it; this is a seriously cool piece.

DSC_0074_zpsffd5cf21.jpg

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Saturday, cont.

Big Iron

Everybody loves the big stuff. Ohio Ordnance Works was there with semi-auto versions of various machine guns...

DSC_0081_zps44f6b224.jpg

including, yes, an M2.

DSC_0082_zps4424d8fe.jpg

What I liked best (maybe because it's closest to affordable) were the BARs. They're offering 30-round magazines for them, too. Cool.

DSC_0080_zpsd078d2a1.jpg

Maybe this is the spot to slip in a note that besides the BAR above, other WWII-era weapons are available in new production versions, such as this Stg-44 from...somebody whose name I neglected to get.

DSC_0055_zps74d899db.jpg

I did remember to get the name of DSA...

DSC_0043_zpsb9e0cf46.jpg

who had semi-auto RPDs and variations on offer.

DSC_0042_zps3e9792bc.jpg

"Big Iron" is not a new concept. Look at the "chunk gun" (I think that's what they're colloquially called; someone correct me if I'm wrong.) on display at the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association booth. It's nearly the length of a table and that barrel is thicker than your wrist. There's a small but enthusiastic group of target shooters in this country that use those rifles in competition resembling F-class (i.e., prone with a front rest for the barrel) and do some amazing shooting with rifles sometimes so heavy they can't be easily lifted. This rifle is actually a small version; I've seen them with barrels 4 inches or more in cross-section diameter.

DSC_0048_zps3e028f93.jpg

Here's a Bushmaster in .50 Browning. The kid isn't full-grown, obviously, but when the rifle you're totin' is half-again taller and weighs more than a small boy, isn't that enough?

DSC_0053_zpsf31a3597.jpg

Perhaps not. I'll close out this section with the Barrett 107A1. 'Nuff said.

DSC_0002_zps5228b119.jpg

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks for that video, Glockster.

Not sure that products reports are really appropriate for this thread any more but I'll post 'em, anyway, after a bit.
    Trust me, I debated on posting here but it does fit the "impressions, etc." extension of the thread title. It is part of the 2A/NRA big picture and I hope it doesn't stop others from posting here too.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Post impressions? Im wore out, my buddys dad pulled something in his hip so we took it slow. The whole time. Side note: MAGPUL AK MAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a free hornady hat pre bent too. Well time to take a nap and mow the lawn. And yes my allergies(sinus infection) were killing me once I was in the building, whats up with that?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Saturday, cont.

Defense Firearms

Personal protection firearms, both familiar and new, were legion. There's no way to take account of all of them, so I chose just a few that caught my eye.

I have a Beretta Nano. I like it since it's just big enough to hang on to and, being mostly steel, heavy enough that it doesn't kick too hard. Beretta apparently felt that too much isn't enough and decided to push the concept further with the Pico. It didn't look bad in the ad copy.

DSC_0045_zps184634c5.jpg

However, when I picked one up it was nearly small enough to swallow. For me, it's unshootably tiny. These days it seems that anyone who makes a pistol so small and light that it hurts to shoot can sell them by the boatload, so look for the Pico to be super-popular.

DSC_0044_zps05795762.jpg

I was glad to see Boberg show up...

DSC_0038_zps2a4335c1.jpg

with their SR9. Note that the chamber is directly over the magazine; it's impossible for a round to be pushed from the magazine into the chamber. Instead, in recoil when the slide moves rearward a sort of claw-type mechanism pulls each round from the magazine to the rear, positioning it behind the barrel. When the slide runs home, the next round is chambered. With this design, it's possible to make the overall length more than an inch shorter without changing the barrel length.

AFAIK, these have thus far been turned out only in short production runs. I wish them success since I really like short, muzzle-light pistols.

DSC_0037_zps46f78b54.jpg

From compact and light to big and bulky, it turns out that Kel-Tec isn't the only company that makes a dual magazine tube, hi-cap defensive bullpup shotgun. These guys do, too. I don't know where I've been but a little research shows these have been out long enough for comparison tests (vs. Kel-Tec) to be posted to Youtube.

DSC_0014_zpsc98f9450.jpg

And on to the "I just don't understand" department - the Kriss. I've started seeing these things fairly regularly. The recoil-mitigating operating system is interesting but it's still an insanely expensive .45ACP carbine. As an SMG, perhaps the tech and expense are justified but I just don't get why anyone actually buys them. Kriss owners, please enlighten me; I'd really like to know.

DSC_0035_zpsd188340c.jpg

Heizer

Speaking of "Why?" guns, there's the Heizer DoubleTap. They were all over the place, being displayed in two different booths and on the second floor as a part of a short-lived table display.

Here's the main booth.

DSC_0079_zpsa320ed34.jpg

Here's a display in another booth where they were asking passers-by to compare trigger pulls.

DSC_0010_zps4b5dc510.jpg

So DoubleTaps are all over this big show. I'm glad they have investor money to do all this promotion. Now, if they'll just put some of that money into shipping product we might be able to figure out if the hype has anything to back it up.

IWI

The best thing about the IWI booth, where they were showing off the Tavor bullpup, was the salesman. The guy knew the rifle and knew how to put on a demo. He made it sound like the ultimate evolution of the semi-auto rifle and I would have pulled out cash if they were on sale. He was that good. Of course, many of the reports from the field have been a bit less stellar. Still, it looks like a functional, practical design. Anybody here had any experience with them?

DSC_0057_zpsd4ad36f1.jpg

Then IWI managed to screw it up by showcasing this thing, leading me back to "Why? Just...why?"

DSC_0058_zps3e67a0d2.jpg

Last edited:

dashnamp

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Sugar Land
    This was my first NRA meeting. My hat is off to everyone involved; the NRA, the volunteers, the vendors, the attendees. Everyone. And I especially enjoyed the Wall of Guns.

dashnamp

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Sugar Land
    If I tell you, then you tell ten friends, etc., suddenly me joking about being at the meeting with 100,000 of my closest friend won't seem like a joke anymore. :) Picked out the Remington 1911 R1 and the Auto Ordinance 1911A1.

Top Bottom