ARJ Defense ad

NRA Annual Meeting - Post your impressions, pics, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    That's the problem. Who?

Yes, others do color case hardening, sometimes quite well. Turnbull, though, is pretty much acknowledged as the only place to get *the* color case hardening you want. For example, if you want period-correct color case hardening for the restoration of an old gun, Turnbull is the only place I know of that can be reasonably sure of turning out a finish that actually looks like it would have come from the original factory at the time of original manufacture.

Start a thread on how you decide who to use. If there are other folks out there doing color case hardening as competently as Turnbull, I really want to know about them.

This project has fallen down the list, still in the top 10, but not near the top. May take a while. Heck may end up with them doing just the two halves with me doing the rest.
    Venture Surplus ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ... may end up with them doing just the two halves with me doing the rest.
    If I was a betting man, that's the way I'd guess you'll wind up doing it...if it ever rises to the top of the project list. I know how these things can keep getting put off. ;)

Trueno

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    Golden Triangle
    And now we get to the "WTF?" part of the SIG display. These are pistols.

DSC_0026_zps84447612.jpg

Those are not collapsed buttstocks mounted to SBRs. Note the round hollow center and the strap with velcro for adjustment. Your forearm goes through the middle of the thing that looks like a buttstock and you tighten it with the strap. The demos looked strange.

My first thought was that this couldn't be right. Under federal law, a pistol is supposed to be designed to be held with one hand. That's why you can't put a vertical foregrip on a pistol. However, I started thinking about it and realized this still meets the definition of a one-hand gun. It's no different, conceptually, from the old Bushmaster arm gun which was stabilized by contact with the forearm. So was the Merrill Sportsman in it's original format when it came equipped with a wrist bracket. SIG has found a neat way to make the forearm stabilization more, well, stable than on any pistol I've seen before. In the process, they've come up with a very interesting concept.

I like it. I think I'm in the minority. Everyone I talked to just thought it was weird.

Believe it or not, Century had those armstocks at their booth and are marketing them seperately.

t

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Saturday, cont.

Parts and Services

Apex rocks. I picked up a couple of show special kits ($20 and thanks to whoever mentioned it Friday night) for J-frames. The guy from Apex was super-knowledgeable and even helped me with some ideas about how to bring my PPC revolver back to reliable ignition.

DSC_0067_zps8b5eedd8.jpg

I didn't bother taking names but there were a bunch of vendors who wanted to paint, camo, refinish, or otherwise molest the surface of any firearm you're willing to send them. I hope everybody found the right person for the job if you need a job done.

The guy at this booth was funny. If you walked by, he'd ask "Is there anything you want us to make disappear?"

DSC_0029_zps55c7d2af.jpg

Geissele had many, many lovely AR triggers. I'm not an AR guy but I am a "good trigger" guy. I took the time to look them over carefully then had to back away when I started drooling.

DSC_0028_zps7fffb8a2.jpg

Help! Does anybody remember who this stock maker was? I think I need all three of the stocks in this picture.

DSC_0054_zps25b04b52.jpg

Reloading

Unfortunately, all those bottles were empty.

DSC_0061_zps4611f111.jpg

The Redding UltraMag may cost over $300 but if you need a high-force press and don't want to move up to the very expensive world of .50-cal-specific tools, it's the ticket. I want one.

DSC_0020_zps44abce4e.jpg

I saw two other presses I want. One is by RCBS and it's a large-section fixed tube with a die holder on top. The case holder is on a fixed platform at the bottom of the press and the entire die platform comes down with a pull of either handle. (There are two handles, a long one for heavy work and a short one for sensitive work.) Basically, it's like a compound-linkage arbor press. It's quite neat and I want one.

I think I irritated the RCBS rep when I pointed out that it was an almost exact replica of a press in common use in the 1930s. Oops. Oops, too, for forgetting to take a picture.

The third press I saw and wanted was a Sinclair. Isn't it gorgeous?

DSC_0051_zps8e93e70e.jpg

Here's the entire Sinclair booth.

DSC_0050_zpsfcf5387c.jpg

If you don't mind a personal note here - My mom has been dead for just a few years. For the last couple of decades of her life, she had problems buying me presents for Christmas. Most years, she solved the problem fairly simply. She called Sinclair, told them what kind of shooting I was doing, and told them how much she wanted to spend. Then she bought whatever they suggested.

They never led her wrong. They never ripped her off. They always advised her with the utmost competence.

I think highly of people who treated my mom well. Sinclair is in that group of honorable folks.

Highly recommended, in case you couldn't tell.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Saturday, cont.

Collections

Most people were at the GRB to look at new stuff but there's always plenty of room set aside for items of historical significance. Gun collection exhibits draw me like a moth to flame. I won't bore you with many, maybe just two.

This wheel of Colts was stunning. All were factory engraved, if I understood correctly.

DSC_0012_zps98e24e5d.jpg

There was a guy there with (it appeared) every first-iteration High Standard extant. Given my love of ISSF disciplines, this rapid-fire model caught my eye.

DSC_0013_zpsd96605e0.jpg

Training

You can get training from many sources but there are some venues that are superior to others. The Whittington Center is at the top of the heap when it comes to outdoor shooting experiences. I hope everybody got a chance to stop by.

DSC_0059_zpsa8b22549.jpg

Project Appleseed does good work, both in fostering marksmanship and helping people appreciate our history and heritage. I sorta figure we all already know that but I took a picture, anyway.

DSC_0033_zpsdcb2af43.jpg

Oddly enough, the guy at FTW was one of the only people to glare at me when I took a picture. I think the idea of advanced hunter training is a good one. There were dozens of outfitters at the show who were perfectly willing to take your money to lead you around whether you knew what you were doing (in any sense) or not. These guys actually seemed concerned that you'd be able to go through the entire experience competently and then make the shot when the time comes. Seems like a good idea to me and I hope they're actually providing what they're advertising.

DSC_0036_zpsafab7fc1.jpg

People

Brian Zins gets two pictures because he's a good guy and he's made me a better shot. I owe him.

The Cabot guns he was helping show off were too pretty for me to photograph. We covet what we see and I don't need to covet no multi-kilobuck 1911s.

DSC_0008_zps3bb0ca77.jpg

DSC_0021_zps466accdb.jpg

See those people on the far side of this picture, on the other side of the booth, like the lady with the pink top and the yellow bag? Know what they're doing? They're waiting in line for an autograph, a line that starts over there, winds to the back of that giant booth, across it, and back to the middle.

What's the longest wait anyone had to get his signature, anyway?

DSC_0040_zpsaef8d7c8.jpg

Yeah, I put her picture in here twice. So what?

DSC_0075_zps056b53ac.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Saturday, cont.

Last Post - Dinner

I had a great time. I hope everybody else did, too.

DSC_0090_zps9024d36e.jpg

DSC_0091_zps45307ab0.jpg

DSC_0088_zps97f11fdf.jpg

DSC_0087_zps19fa1ff4.jpg

DSC_0086_zps368ad8c0.jpg

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    With regards to the new brace/mount for the pistol AR's....spoke at length with one of the Sig rep's. He said that the ATF was actually VERY supportive of it, because it would allow those with limited upper body strength or missing an arm (read: wounded Vets) be able to shoot an AR pistol one-handed. He said that they encountered no resistance to design acceptance from 'em.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    A lot of you guys had the right idea, by going more than one day. This was my first time to the NRA meeting. It was great, but I wish I had planned better. One of my friends talked about going Saturday as well, but with the great weather, I had already planned a family get to gether. this NRA convention really requires more than one day. Lesson learned on my part.

Great to see faces matched to usernames.

Last edited:

dtownmj

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Houston, TX
    A lot of you guys had the right idea, by going more than one day. This was my first time to the NRA meeting. It was great, but I wish I had planned better. One of my friends talked about going Saturday as well, but with the great weather, I had already planned a family get to gether. this NRA convention really requires more than one day. Lesson learned on my part.

Great to see faces matched to usernames.

You did pick up a brick of .22 which im sure 99% of those attending thr convention wish they had a chance to get! Haha

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    You did pick up a brick of .22 which im sure 99% of those attending thr convention wish they had a chance to get! Haha

You have a point there, Mike. thanks again for the heads up. did you make the NRA meeting this weekend?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Crap. Sorry, but I need to make one more post before I hit the sack. I've got two last pics I meant to put up.

First, there's this carbon fiber case from TKL. It was featherlight but (my opinion, only) it poorly implements those eccentric twisting lug-type latches. I have a couple of cases like that and in my experience they're great when they're thick and sturdy. The ones on this case were very thin. In fact, all the hardware was lightweight to the point that I can't imagine ever checking this on a plane. Too bad; I'll bet it didn't weigh three pounds and it was soooo purty.

DSC_0083_zps4e43a83d.jpg

Finally, this was at the Coonan booth. I despair for our collective intelligence.

DSC_0071_zps402b0905.jpg

I feel like I lose IQ points every time I see something for killing zombies (and, in this case, werewolves and vampires, too).

Could we please STOP with all these aggressively stupid, zombie-centric marketing gimmicks?

OK, I'm obviously tired and cranky. Off to bed.

Top Bottom