Hurley's Gold

NRA Annual Meeting - Post your impressions, pics, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    The les Baer people were great. Talked with one of their employees about how I loved the job they do on their blued models, turns out he is the one who handles the finishing/polishing.

Yeah we talked to him also. Did not understand what we were looking for in a handgun. Eventually told him he needed to check the finish on Cabots guns, did not think he liked that. Les was nice enough and the other guy was pretty good also.
    Venture Surplus ad

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Haha low blow! I liked the finish on both offerings. Cabots high end blue (not their standard) was so shiny it looked like a high polished nickel. Baer bluing looks great new and when it wears it looks incredible.

Trueno

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    Golden Triangle
    Random observations. Wayne Lapierre is probably a good guy and a sincere supporter of gun rights, as well as a great family man. However, when he speaks, he hurts the NRA and the community of gun owners generally. NRA desperately needs a new spokesman! I heard the same from many others.

How so?

t

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I didn't put together in my head the idea of putting a tube around it. Thanks for the info.
    Hate to reply to myself, but anyone who picked up the MPX brochure can look inside it on the right side of the foldout. The available accessories are pictured and, right there in living color, is the tube and end cap to convert the compensator to a muffler.

The accessory I'd want first would be the side-folding stock that makes the whole thing 2" shorter when collapsed.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Because he's a lousy public speaker. His FQ...wait, strike that...LQ (likeability quotient) is bottom of the scale. People hear him and it's like nails on chalkboard.

It doesn't matter how right the words coming out of his mouth are. When he says them, people get turned off. There's no charisma. Zero. Zip. Nada.

That seems shallow but it's just the way human nature is. It's not enough to be right in this fight. We need great communicators, people who can make other people like them and their positions. Wayne is incapable of that.

PS - FQ is from a whole 'nother industry, not suitably explained in this thread. ;)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ben, many thanks...
    Happy to do it.

However, read over the thread again. There's more meat here from people other than me; I just loaded up more pictures. That's the way I am - flashy and beautiful but no substance.

Or is that my girlfriends? I dunno...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Any more good buys?

As always, there were some folks dumping merchandise that they didn't want to pack up and take home. At the Blue Book booth, they were offering the book for $40 and the book on CD for $35. Normal prices are $5 higher for each, plus shipping or tax if bought locally.

I bought both the book and the CD and the lady at the booth said "Ya know, I'm heavy on CDs, anyway. How about $50 for both?"

She knocked off $25 without me even asking. I love it.

I also took advantage of the Aimpoint rebate. I bought an optic at the EuroOptic booth for $530; most retailers charge a bit over $600 for it. No tax and no shipping means I also saved an additional $40 or so compared to a local purchase. Or I saved the shipping.

Then I walked the receipt to the Aimpoint booth and they're sending me a $50 rebate.

Depending on circumstances (local, mailorder, shipping costs) it's impossible to say just how much I saved but I'd guess at least $100. That's a good thing.

I was a little disappointed that USA Shooting wasn't offering any membership discounts but it seems they never do; I shouldn't have been surprised. :(

Some other folks have mentioned good buys they got. Surely there are more stories to be told, right?

Last edited:

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    Because he's a lousy public speaker. His FQ...wait, strike that...LQ (likeability quotient) is bottom of the scale. People hear him and it's like nails on chalkboard.

It doesn't matter how right the words coming out of his mouth are. When he says them, people get turned off. There's no charisma. Zero. Zip. Nada.

That seems shallow but it's just the way human nature is. It's not enough to be right in this fight. We need great communicators, people who can make other people like them and their positions. Wayne is incapable of that.

PS - FQ is from a whole 'nother industry, not suitably explained in this thread. ;)
    We need Charlton Heston back.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I was a little disappointed that USA Shooting wasn't offering any membership discounts but it seems they never do; I shouldn't have been surprised. :(

Shooting USA is at the mercy of the USOC who are a bunch of dicks. If you saw that poster of Kim Rhode, it had her Olympic medals pixilated out so as to not incur the wrath of the that organization (it was somewhere near the Magpul booth). Spent 30 minutes talking to S. Fjestad, the author and publisher of the Blue Book. He mentioned that he had permission from Kim and the team to use her as the cover picture on this years book. The USOC shot it down and would not allow her to be on the cover displaying her medals. He had to scramble to find that 4 shot pocket gun right before it went to press to replace her photo. USOC is run by 'corporate America rules' now and it's lawyers. Damn shame.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    It was a record breaker. 86K in attendance

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

And from all the people I came across, it was the nicest large crowd I've ever been in. Everyone was polite. If they bumped into you, they said "excuse me", etc. Can't say that about anywhere else I've been, and can't say I've ever felt as safe as I did in there with that many people.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Ah forgot, new lifetime member,

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      67.7 KB · Views: 178
    Top Bottom