APOD Firearms

NRA Annual Meeting - Post your impressions, pics, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I also took advantage of the Aimpoint rebate. I bought an optic at the EuroOptic booth for $530; most retailers charge a bit over $600 for it. No tax and no shipping means I also saved an additional $40 or so compared to a local purchase. Or I saved the shipping.

Then I walked the receipt to the Aimpoint booth and they're sending me a $50 rebate.

Depending on circumstances (local, mailorder, shipping costs) it's impossible to say just how much I saved but I'd guess at least $100. That's a good thing.

I was offered that same deal but they didn't have the micro t-1 in stock so I had to pass. Great deal though.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I was offered that same deal but they didn't have the micro t-1 in stock so I had to pass. Great deal though.
    The T-1 is slightly smaller, slightly lighter, is night vision compatible, and is waterproof to a greater depth. I don't need any of those things so I went with the H-1 and I'm tickled.

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Glad you mentioned M1 carbine, forgot to post some information I found out there.

Got the opportunity to talk with one of the head guys in the design department at Citadel about their M1 Carbine reproductions. We are particularly interested in the 9mm reproduction they were supposed to market later this summer. (I have posted pictures of it in threads on here a couple of times.) Cool idea a faithful reproduction of the WWII era carbine that shoots easy to find and cheap 9x19 ammo.

Well it's back in design, and we may not see it for well over a year now. The design department has now been directed to make it take Uzi magazines instead of a .30 carbine reproduction adapted for 9mm. They are thinking they may have a prototype by the end of the year. It will not be a short piston gas operated gun like the original, but a blow-back. I like the proven reliability, inexpensiveness and ease of purchase of Uzi magazines. While this is farther and farther away from a lot of the neat features of the original, it may not be a as much a deal breaker as one might imagine. I will be very interested to see how the fatter Uzi magazine fits and what it does to the slimness and general ergonomics of the original design.

------------------------------------------------------------

Guys at Charter Arms were zero help in telling us when we could find one of their 9mm Pitbull revolvers, all they would say is they are back ordered for years.........

Looked at the 9mm Taurus revolver that takes a star clip, might be an option if we can find one of those, but prefer just being able to drop in the rounds. (yeah, finally get to say 9mm clip without getting my balls busted :cool: )

Crimson trace did not know if any of their grips would fit either of the two revolvers mentioned above.

Possible purchase to replace a 9mm Sig that the owner can not operate the slide on anymore..........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wish that sword cane in with the carbon fiber shaft and chrome ball on the top by Cold Steel was legal to carry in Texas :(
    Nicely made piece of hardware.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discovered and liked the fact that CMMG makes the left-handed .22 LR conversion kits that Stag sells for their ARs. More comfortable buying that as a CMMG made product.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ted Nugent store should have brought more shirts. Sold out some of the ones and sizes we wanted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That Red Jacket booth (or guys selling Red Jacket stuff) was a waste of time to stop at and talk to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NRA store needs a full length, zippered beer bottle koozie to sell.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The laser firing, slide recoiling pistols that you could fire at the Beretta booth were cool, would love to be able to justify the expense for one at the house.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liked the shelf that opened with a magnet on the top revealing a hidden compartment where you could store a gun.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will probably build a sliding mirror hidden compartment like the one on display there. However mine will fit flusher to the wall, not having the noticeable gap that was there for the manual latch. (magnetic lock like on shelf above maybe???) Nor do I anticipate a need for a finger print activated latch for the rifle and handgun on the inside.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Herself searched on her phone for the SHOT show dates, may have to suck up to some FFLs I know for tickets next year. Surprised she had such a good time and wanted to go back all three days.

TexasSmiley.jpg

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    It runs almost concurrently with the AVN Show at the Hard Rock on the 15th through the 18th. That sounds to me like another good reason to go. ;)

Yeah, and I bet one does not get going real good until the other is wrapped up for the day:)
    Was in LA when that was going on once, what a party.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Was in LA when that was going on once, what a party.
    The LA versions were always weak tea, imo, compared to the Las Vegas versions. I am convinced that the big hit CES has taken in relevance is due to the fact that AVN struck out on their own with their own concurrent conference. Then they even changed dates so that CES and AVN don't take place at the same time.

As a result, CES lost their biggest "anchor" exhibitor. I know very well that many people with business at CES would have been happy to do their business via email but that the opportunity to go downstairs and visit the adult area was what convinced them a trip to Vegas was worthwhile. Back in the mid- to late-90s, before the split, that used to be the only exhibit area where the fire marshal kept someone on-station, there was a huge line to get in, and people were let in only when someone left. (Of course, in those days I didn't have to wait in the lines...but that's another story.) CES isn't what it once was in any sense.

AVN, otoh, is no longer jam-packed with the lookie-loos who made the aisles impassible in decades past. Now it's been over a decade since I've been there and I doubt anyone would know me. I've been reduced to lookie-loo status, too. Phooey. :(

PS - ^^^^This is the definition of "Thread drift." My apologies; I kinda think this thread is done. It was a great ride and thanks to all who contributed.

5 Screw Smith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Atascosa Co.
    I asked a rep from Kimber at the NRA show in Houston a burning question I've been wanting to know for some time. I asked if they have a custom shop or not and if all their 1911s marked "Custom Shop" on the slide are actually made there. (Because the info on their web site does not suggest that.) She danced around my question for a while but said the extras they add to their 1911s like carry melt treatment, frame serrations, etc. are produced separately but in the same general area where all their 1911 production takes place. She said that all their 1911s start from the same slide and frame as their Custom II gun. So from her description the only difference from their entry model and highest priced model is based on the cuts they make on the frame and slide, plus night sights and grips. There is no additional accuracy or reliability work done to the gun. I asked if the higher priced 1911s like the Gold Combat II had work done like polishing the feed ramps and she said no.

So based on her description it appears that no, Kimber does not have a custom shop even though they inscribe it on some of their guns.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    I asked a rep from Kimber at the NRA show in Houston a burning question I've been wanting to know for some time. I asked if they have a custom shop or not and if all their 1911s marked "Custom Shop" on the slide are actually made there. (Because the info on their web site does not suggest that.) She danced around my question for a while but said the extras they add to their 1911s like carry melt treatment, frame serrations, etc. are produced separately but in the same general area where all their 1911 production takes place. She said that all their 1911s start from the same slide and frame as their Custom II gun. So from her description the only difference from their entry model and highest priced model is based on the cuts they make on the frame and slide, plus night sights and grips. There is no additional accuracy or reliability work done to the gun. I asked if the higher priced 1911s like the Gold Combat II had work done like polishing the feed ramps and she said no.

So based on her description it appears that no, Kimber does not have a custom shop even though they inscribe it on some of their guns.

Ding ding ding. And this is why i will never own a kimber

sent from my dishwasher

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Ding ding ding. And this is why i will never own a kimber

So, based on a 2nd-hand comment on an internet forum you'll base a purchasing decision. Dude, I own a number of Kimbers, any one of which I'll rely on - both at the range, and on my hip to defend me and mine. There are certainly other options out there, some better....and others much worse. But to say that they're not worthy of consideration is just wrong, IMO.

Those of ya that know me, know I own a fairly broad range of .45's - and there's very few of 'em that I'd say weren't worth owning. Kimber is, IMO, a solid, reliable gun. STI DOES, IMO, offer a better value for the money - but like anything else, I'm sure there's some out there that will disagree w/STI's build quality. Frankly, it doesn't matter to me - I own what I own based on my personal observations, not because of what someone else claims.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    So, based on a 2nd-hand comment on an internet forum you'll base a purchasing decision. Dude, I own a number of Kimbers, any one of which I'll rely on - both at the range, and on my hip to defend me and mine. There are certainly other options out there, some better....and others much worse. But to say that they're not worthy of consideration is just wrong, IMO.

Those of ya that know me, know I own a fairly broad range of .45's - and there's very few of 'em that I'd say weren't worth owning. Kimber is, IMO, a solid, reliable gun. STI DOES, IMO, offer a better value for the money - but like anything else, I'm sure there's some out there that will disagree w/STI's build quality. Frankly, it doesn't matter to me - I own what I own based on my personal observations, not because of what someone else claims.

No not based on that. I have handled and shot all sorts of kimbers. I have YET to feel one that is tighter than a ria, but doesnt cost 3 times the price. Then, stamping custom shop on them? Very dishonorable to me. A lot of their older guns are fine guns, there is no arguing that at all. I am not happy with the direction the company took when the son took over. It went from quality>quantity to quantity>quality. Not to mention, the $10,000 cost to become a dealer for them. Add all of that together, and those are my reasons why i will never buy any of their product. Ok, i MIGHT consider owning some of their OLD stuff, but thats where i will draw the line. And that is how i feel on the matter.

sent from my dishwasher

5 Screw Smith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Atascosa Co.
    No not based on that. I have handled and shot all sorts of kimbers. I have YET to feel one that is tighter than a ria, but doesnt cost 3 times the price. Then, stamping custom shop on them? Very dishonorable to me. A lot of their older guns are fine guns, there is no arguing that at all. I am not happy with the direction the company took when the son took over. It went from quality>quantity to quantity>quality. Not to mention, the $10,000 cost to become a dealer for them. Add all of that together, and those are my reasons why i will never buy any of their product. Ok, i MIGHT consider owning some of their OLD stuff, but thats where i will draw the line. And that is how i feel on the matter.

sent from my dishwasher

I don't like the deceptive practice of labeling something Custom Shop when Kimber apparently doesn't even have one. That's the point of my post.

As far as quality goes, I have owned Kimbers and liked them. I'm with you though and prefer their first generation 1911s as compared to later guns. However, for the same money I would go with Dan Wesson compared to current production Kimbers.

At the NRA annual meeting I stopped by the Remington display and picked up their R1 Carry government and commander sizes 1911s. I was very impressed with what I saw. I would love to be able to shoot both before deciding if I should purchase one. WTF, I might even purchase one before shooting it. I'm leaning toward the commander model.

Top Bottom