• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Would the utility equipment grounding being sub par change that logic? Or sandy conditions?
    Being as Karlac is on a lake shore, he's most likely not at the highest elevation in his area. That's a plus for his utility to be struck at a distance far enough away that the lightning is dissipated by system grounding and equipment before reaching his service entrance. However, that body of water is pure 100% earth ground. Period. I'd be really cautious creating a ground bed at his location.

If utility grounding is sub par, it will increas the chances of the spike coming to his grounds. Copper thieves are a leading cause of this. Sandy conditions can cause high resistance grounding issues, but it's still best left to the utility to address that. Grounding wells at substations are common just west of you. Drill into the aquifer and lower a few ground rods welded to 300' of 4/0 7 strand copper into the water table. All that figured for available fault current. Wire sizes vary accordingly.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Being as Karlac is on a lake shore, he's most likely not at the highest elevation in his area. That's a plus for his utility to be struck at a distance far enough away that the lightning is dissipated by system grounding and equipment before reaching his service entrance. However, that body of water is pure 100% earth ground. Period. I'd be really cautious creating a ground bed at his location.

If utility grounding is sub par, it will increas the chances of the spike coming to his grounds. Copper thieves are a leading cause of this. Sandy conditions can cause high resistance grounding issues, but it's still best left to the utility to address that. Grounding wells at substations are common just west of you. Drill into the aquifer and lower a few ground rods welded to 300' of 4/0 7 strand copper into the water table. All that figured for available fault current. Wire sizes vary accordingly.
    Appreciate the knowledge V

We need to sit down and talk over a beer. I'd like to hear more.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Transient voltage something something......
    Yep. Same thing.

This is AR, and they're proudly behind times ... ;)

Being a lake house, and until I retired a sometime rental property with the attendant liability issues, I've always insisted on code compliant trim out installations here (that get the pope's blessing from a licensed tradesman) even though being in the county it may not be required.

The SPD (or TVSS) was part of the ATS installation which I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole due to disclosure requirements in the likely event of a future sale.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    This is AR, and they're proudly behind times ... ;)

Being a lake house, and until I retired a sometime rental property with the attendant liability issues, I've always insisted on code compliant trim out installations here (that get the pope's blessing from a licensed tradesman) even though being in the county it may not be required.

The SPD (or TVSS) was part of the ATS installation which I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole due to disclosure requirements in the likely event of a future sale.

I never undestood the mentality of.... "its in the country, we dont need to worry about inspections"

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I never undestood the mentality of.... "its in the country, we dont need to worry about inspections"

As a builder, and although built-to-code is only built to minimum standards, I always embraced permits and their required inspections for a number of reasons ... the least of which is that the process places the blame for not passing an inspection due to shoddy work squarely on the tradesman, and they can't wiggle out of that fact.

Important when you consider the retribution/revenge based culture of those who do construction work these days.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    As a builder, and although built-to-code is only built to minimum standards, I always embraced permits and their required inspections for a number of reasons ... the least of which is that the process places the blame for not passing an inspection due to shoddy work squarely on the tradesman, and they can't wiggle out of that fact.

Important when you consider the retribution/revenge based culture of those who do construction work these days.
    My house I built in Mason County, Washington, still had code inspections and permits, just not as expensive or stringent as the cities.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    m seriously considering going to a Chromebook laptop to replace it.
    After a few hours looking at parts, I'm considering doing the same just to tide me over until the parts-from-China problem shakes out. The RAM, SSD, and processor I want are all either out of stock or selling for a 25-50% premium over their prices of a few weeks ago.

Phooey.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    After a few hours looking at parts, I'm considering doing the same just to tide me over until the parts-from-China problem shakes out. The RAM, SSD, and processor I want are all either out of stock or selling for a 25-50% premium over their prices of a few weeks ago.

Phooey.

A gentleman on another forum, that I started a thread about buying a used laptop, recommended the Chromebook. He has three of them, that he has replaced his other computers with.

They have their own virusware protection built in, just like a smart phone. They can be reverted back to factory settings very easily. Plus you can load any Android apps onto them.

My main concern was being able to use a full size computer keyboard and mouse with it. It does support using them.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    How about why does the city exert so much control over your life?
    Its a little about control from the governing city, but more about shitty work done by trades. Ive been in construction long enough to know...if they can cover it before you know theres a mistake they will do it. Ive seen & heard of enough horror stories from homeowners getting the cheapest bid & getting what they pay for.
    Theres to many Chucks in a truck running around that dont know anything about construction & rely on the trade doing the job right.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    .....if they can cover it before you know theres a mistake they will do it.
    Heard stories of folks that tried that on a commercial job. Dustin used to be an alarm system installer. Said the sheetrockers came through and covered stuff up. The Fire Marshall came by on a friday to inspect and told the super to have all that shit torn out and he would be back by on monday. :facepalm:

Dont know how much it was but it was a hospital job so it was a lot.

Top Bottom