• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    One of the best friends I've made here in Texas was VP of the HOA when we moved. He remained on the board, but stepped down from that VP slot. Another friend of ours got elected to that spot. The HOA is useless as tits on a hog. They charge dues depending on lot size, but the max is hit at 1.5 acres. Those that have 10 (rural community, mind you) pay what someone with 1.5 pays, which is, IIRC $175 a year. Most lots in the front are under 1 acre in size. There's something like 250 homes total in the community. Minimum dues is $90.

They have about 80% of owners current on dues.

Even if *everyone* paid - the annual revenue they get barely covers maintenance. They don't have the cash to even have the street lights turned on in front of people's houses - so the power company says "you want light, you pay for light" to the individual property owners. Supposedly the lights add about $25-30 a month to your bill, less if you have one of the new LED units.

They operate 100% on volunteer labor - and despite not being HOA members, my wife and I volunteer a lot because literally in the two years we've been here, there are six people who have volunteered for any improvement or clean up projects. That's our friend who was VP and his wife, our friend who is current VP and her husband, and our other friends who are good friends with the first two mentioned. Thats it. So my wife and I lend a hand when we can - from clearing brush around the lakes to helping install playground equipment at the park. I got roped into helping paint the damn bathrooms - which the HOA *could* have had done professionally two months ago when they had new siding put on the clubhouse, but elected not to do, then the VP lady changed her mind and decided the bathrooms needed to match.

I wound up painting half the bathroom by myself on a 90+ degree day and saying fuckit, and it stayed half-done until VP lady and her hubs decided to finish it. I had no help in that painting mess and wasn't about to kill myself from heat stroke for their club.

My buddy told me the inside baseball on how many delinquint properties were *years* behind in dues, but the legal fees to go thru the enforcement process are generally way higher than what they'd collect in back dues, so they just throw a lein on the property with the intent to collect if and when the property sells.

There's a house at the front of the neighborhood - one of the very first ones you see - hoarders live there, and their house is in bad disrepair. Neighbors have offered - for free - to help him clean the place up. Guy refuses, always has an excuse about liability or not wanting stuff stolen. HOA does nada but send him letters. He probably is negatively effecting property values of those around him, but ohwell. Keeps the damn tax rate down!

If an HOA *has* the money to enforce their bylaws and keep things in really nice condition, they're probably stroking people for a thousand bucks a year or more in HOA dues.
    Yes many hoa’s have made the news for collecting money and spending it on board members.

The idea is sound but it will nine out of ten times fall flat on its face because few people have self control.

I think this country is over populated and more people need the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    1653273977236.png

or.slacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    US
    Power was on and off throughout the night. It does that when we haven't had rain in a long time and there's all that dust and dirt on the power lines. At least that's what I think it is. Of course, those of you who sleep with the CPAP like I do will understand this, every time the power went off I woke up immediately. That made for a much interrupted sleep, so I'm still moving slow this morning.
    I lived in the country for many years where we lost power regularly. I use a little computer UPS from costco. It works amazing from power bumps or outages. Highly recommend.

Top Bottom