Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Most incorporated cities have code enforcement.
    I live in an unincorporated part of the county. I guess I got lucky because I wasn't thinking about this criteria when I bought the house. I have an HOA but they're not insane and I can deal with them.

But paying people to drive around and look for minor violations just so they can call the cops - that's weird. It irritates the people who aren't doing anything wrong (just technically illegal) and diverts police resources to lower priority work.

I'm just trying to figure out the motivation. Do cities do this for the ticket revenue?
    Target Sports

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    They're not that bad around here. They usually drive a two door Chevy truck with a city sticker on the door. Has, "Caution makes frequent stops" along the bottom of the tail gate. Glorified metermaids with no administrative powers. They find a code violation and have call the police to enforce it.

It's similar to a bunch of city hired snitches driving around town with nothing better to do. The police officer was irritated she got called out for a parked car. Made the comment, "They couldn't call me for a burglary?", "You can move it 5 feet". She told me she'd notify dispatch I was given a 48 notice and cleared the call to go do something productive.

Our town sends letter. If you don't respond or comply they send you a bill for the "violation."

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I live in an unincorporated part of the county. I guess I got lucky because I wasn't thinking about this criteria when I bought the house. I have an HOA but they're not insane and I can deal with them.

But paying people to drive around and look for minor violations just so they can call the cops - that's weird. It irritates the people who aren't doing anything wrong (just technically illegal) and diverts police resources to lower priority work.

I'm just trying to figure out the motivation. Do cities do this for the ticket revenue?

I think they do it to make sure the neighborhood looks good. Some is safety related. I think its less about revenue than making sure places don't turn into a trashy place. Its a nice neighborhood, and the higher the tax values are, the more the city gets.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I got ticketed for littering in my own yard after hurricane ike. I caught a great deal on treated 2x12's (16' for $11 each). I stacked them neatly beside my house (as in all you could see were the ends of the boards). while I was building a deck (14' x 36') in the back, working on it in the evenings and on weekends. They were there for about 2 weeks. They said mailed me a letter that I didnt get, then sent me a certified letter while I was working out of town for 2 weeks and I wasnt there to get it either. According to the code, they were supposed to have someone serve me the citation in person but never did. I didnt find out about it till I recieved a letter that a warrant had been issued for my arrest! My sister was working for a lawyer at the time and he called the DA and got the warrant dropped and a date in court. I was #43 of 234 to see him that day for "code violations". The man and woman sitting next to me in court had been divorced for 5 years and both got a citation for the same property! She got the property in the divorce and they still sent him a citation as well! They dropped my fine from $250 to $75 but wouldnt budge off that and I had to pay it. I sold the house and moved 6 months later. It was nothing but a money generator for the city. This all happened in 2011, 3 years after Ike. Screw the city of Beaumont!!

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    What they don't take in taxes, they'll take in fines.

Our town sends letter. If you don't respond or comply they send you a bill for the "violation."

They'll hang a placard on the garage door. Especially if the trash is over the limit. I once got one saying to fix "my" fence because of a huge gabbing hole. Fix it or get a fine. Guess what?...wasn't even my Damn fence. I had the girlfriend call the number because if I had. I would have went off on the person answering the phone.

Metermaid dummy. It really was an astonishment the person couldn't tell it wasn't my fence. Guess what again. The fence didn't get fixed for another ~year. The guy never showed back up.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    735b856d756d9ae3ac592573b9fa321a.gif

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Morning...Coffee; Camp house only had Half-Caff so I guess I’m halfway up!

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Top Bottom