• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    If it's one or the other, caliber aside as they all come in about anything, I'd go with the AR. Mostly because the stock position is more comfortable when using optics which are easily mounted without a side rail adapter. You can break it open without having to remove your optics, the mag can be dropped while you're reaching for a second, there's a bolt hold-open instead of reaching over to recharge it, the standard sights are far better than an AK's notch and post, adjustable length of pull with an M4 type stock, all kinds of options for magazines, and it looks way less stupid with a railed front. There's definitely less muzzle climb with an AR and it doesn't have that lopsided bolt group that forces it slightly to the right without a slant brake. Though the G2 double hook trigger is nice compared to import FCGs, there are a lot nicer trigger components for the AR if that's what you're after.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    there is just as much tacticooool gear for the ak now as there is for the ar-15. bottom line if you want dead nuts accurate rifle the ar it is, it can be made as reliable as an ak pretty easily. it can also be built around the same round as the ak. infact it can be build around almost any round these days (another pro for the ar) aks are cool i will have a few by the time i die. but my first choice is my ar, and the only reason is because its what i trust and what im used to. if you really want a 7.62x39 get an sks they are just as fun as an ak but more accurate.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    IMG_2040.jpg
    I don't have any of the problems with my optics mentioned. Not only do I have good cheek weld I also have lower 1/3 co-witness. Nor do I have to remove my Aimpoint to clean my rifle.

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    Trying to not get stuck in the mud here...

I like ARs, I like AKs. In Iraq I chose an AK over an AR because in combat it's quite obvious that the most important thing on a combat rifle is that it goes bang every time you pull the trigger. What I am seeing is a lot of conjecture and imagined "limitations".

Here are my observations:

An AR can never be "as reliable as an AK" in all environmental and field conditions.

An AR system should be more accurate than an AK given the same cartridge, however this in no way means the AK is "inaccurate" nor does it mean the AK isn't "accurate enough" for the kind of shooting described by the OP.

Many of the perceived ergonomic and handling "advantages" attributed in this thread to the AR are really disadvantages on a combat rifle, and likewise many of the suggested "disadvantages" of the AK are quite functional when the AK is run like an AK and not an AR.

Anything you can do with optics set-up on an AR you can do on an AK with some work, and this work is minor compared to installing a piston system on an AR.

We'll be doing another free AK clinic in October. Hope to see some of you there, and please bring an AR too if you need convincing. :)

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    I don't have any of the problems with my optics mentioned. Not only do I have good cheek weld I also have lower 1/3 co-witness. Nor do I have to remove my Aimpoint to clean my rifle.

A lovely riposte if you don't consider context at all. In context, however, it's much less valid. An optic on a side rail instead of far forward does complicate taking down the rifle while it's still in place. On the AR, however, you can have it mounted close to the shooter or forward; this flexibility of configuration allows a wider range of optics to choose from with different reliefs. That's a nice AK though.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Trying to not get stuck in the mud here...

I like ARs, I like AKs. In Iraq I chose an AK over an AR because in combat it's quite obvious that the most important thing on a combat rifle is that it goes bang every time you pull the trigger. What I am seeing is a lot of conjecture and imagined "limitations".

Here are my observations:

An AR can never be "as reliable as an AK" in all environmental and field conditions.

An AR system should be more accurate than an AK given the same cartridge, however this in no way means the AK is "inaccurate" nor does it mean the AK isn't "accurate enough" for the kind of shooting described by the OP.

Many of the perceived ergonomic and handling "advantages" attributed in this thread to the AR are really disadvantages on a combat rifle, and likewise many of the suggested "disadvantages" of the AK are quite functional when the AK is run like an AK and not an AR.

Anything you can do with optics set-up on an AR you can do on an AK with some work, and this work is minor compared to installing a piston system on an AR.

We'll be doing another free AK clinic in October. Hope to see some of you there, and please bring an AR too if you need convincing. :)

Alright, I'm not a professional or gunfighter and I don't play one on the internet. What do you mean by this? I don't own an AK (not yet in my life at least), but have to "rock" a magazine in vs. shoving a magazine in seems like the latter would be easier and faster under pressure. I'm curious. Thanks.

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    Alright, I'm not a professional or gunfighter and I don't play one on the internet. What do you mean by this? I don't own an AK (not yet in my life at least), but have to "rock" a magazine in vs. shoving a magazine in seems like the latter would be easier and faster under pressure. I'm curious. Thanks.
    Shoving a magazine straight in should be easier and faster. However, as I'm sure you realize, ARs suffer many functional failures due to unseated magazines, particularly when operators are under stress, because of this supposed "advantage". As anyone with US military AR experience knows, the first step in the SPORTS immediate action drill is "slap the magazine", because failures to fully seat the magazine are so common. AKs simply don't have this problem.

jr urbina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    CenTex

Mag changes on an AK can be done quick, fast and in a hurry with enough repetitions. What's important is to train doing them in a dynamic environment, on the move, under pressure. Anyone can look slick doing mag changes and malfunction drills while static on the line, but you add a little stress and people do all kinds of funny shit.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    I don't own an AK (not yet in my life at least), but have to "rock" a magazine in vs. shoving a magazine in seems like the latter would be easier and faster under pressure. I'm curious. Thanks.

This is where "training" comes in to the picture.

To some people "training" consists of "bringing the rifle home and sticking 5 lbs of woohah! crap on it"

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, no matter what platform you're going to run, training is paramount.

A lovely riposte if you don't consider context at all. In context, however, it's much less valid. An optic on a side rail instead of far forward does complicate taking down the rifle while it's still in place. On the AR, however, you can have it mounted close to the shooter or forward; this flexibility of configuration allows a wider range of optics to choose from with different reliefs. That's a nice AK though.

I ran a sight on a side rail mount for about a year and a half. Never had any problem taking the rifle down. The only problem I had was with the optics sitting a bit too high. Now I run a Comp M2 on an Ultimak. Zero issues with that setup, the sight sits lower and gives me a lower 1/3 cowitness. With sights like Aimpoints, there is practically unlimited eye relief.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Unless you've got at least $7,000 to play with, you'll not be getting an assault rifle.
    Not true I know of a few place's that will give you an assault rifle for as long as you want and even pay you for it.

To be clear, (some folks don't read smiley), those places only loan you the rifle, and don't let you run free with it (you shoot it when they say you shoot it). You've also got to leave it with them when you leave their employment.

I used to work for those folks - they're stingy with their training ammo.

JohnG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Texas
    Deja vu...
    I see this argument everywhere.
    I like to play with my AK's (47s/74s) but can shoot my ARs much better with no problems. Built a Mk12 mod0 that shoots better than I can. If SHTF, I'd probably grab a FAL to go with an AR. Really, anyone should go with what they are comfortable with (if they have proven this weapon to themselves).
    A miss does no good, any hit beats a miss. I am glad our military stays with the AR platform, it (or nothing) is perfect, but can be accurate and deadly. Mine are reliable and I have more faith in mine than in my AKs. To each their own, I just hope we are all on the same side.
    oops-edit typo

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Personally, i prefer rocking the mag in. sliding it in looks and feels cooler, but because I don't practice alot with either gun, I always miss when I use the AR and catch a mag lip on the side of the mag well lol. The AK was more noob friendly. The 1911 is easier, but that is not comparable hah

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The advantage I see to the AR mag is that I use almost exactly the same magazine grip and motion as I would to load my pistol.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What kind of pistol would that be?

Something like this, perhaps?
    ar15-pistol.jpg

LOL. Nah, I grip the AR mag by the bottom of the magazine with my index finger laid along the front of the mag, pointing at the top. The rifle is up high where I can see the mag well, and I bring the mag into the rear of it first, then push it home. Same way I do a pistol reload, except that I'm aiming further forward on the gun, I don't have to flatten my hand out as the mag inserts, and that I'm giving the mag a tug to make sure it seats.

Top Bottom