One Year of Open Carry...

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by majormadmax, Dec 28, 2016.

1. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    ...and much like concealed carry, the claims of "blood flowing in the streets" have proven to be incorrect. In fact, it has pretty much been a "non-event."

I had to go buy some new wiper blades for the Toyota, and for the first time outside a gun store was asked what kind of pistol I was carrying. I was actually caught off-guard by the question, as it has gotten to where no one seems to notice; but the person asking went on to explain he wanted to get his LTC and only needed to find time to take the class (he was also a firefighter).

So that brings me to my query, as we approach the first anniversary of open carry in Texas, what have been your experiences? I don't OC a lot, as I cannot carry where I work (on a military base); but I try to do so as much as possible during my "off-duty" time. I've also asked a lot of police officers I know if there has been any issues because of OC, and I have yet to hear of any at all.

The greatest positive--outside of restoring rights we should have never lost in the fist place--is as we approach a new legislation in the coming year the lack of any problems with open carry means that Texans in general are not as fearful of firearms as a few may try to lead us to believe. There is finally real "hope" for our future in that we have leadership not only at the state but also the Federal level that truly supports the Constitution. I don't know how well President Trump will do, but at least he is a firm supporter of the Second Amendment; and there is no questioning where Texas Governor Greg Abbott is on the issue.

So I am optimistic, and while I do believe efforts to advance the rights of gun owners need to be prioritized (I believe a reduction in areas automatically restricted by law from carrying is more critical than Constitutional carry, although both are very important), I honestly believe we are heading down the right path and will continue to do so!

Cheers! M2

2. Brains

Brains Well-Known

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    Doesn't matter, we all died long ago in a huge gunfight at the OK Corral, exactly as the lefties predicted.

In all seriousness, I don't ever see folks openly carrying. Well, unless I'm at Brooks BBQ :)

3. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I open carry quite a bit. I have yet to have a negative experience.
    The 3 most common things people say;
    1. What model pistol do I carry?
    2. Where did you get your holster?
    3. How do I get my license?
    No shootouts. Not even an altercation.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

4. Coiled

Coiled Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Ifartistan
    I haven't OCd yet.
    I have seen exactly two do so. One Feb or Mar inside a grocery store the other last week in a big box hardware.

Yup, the blood will run, people will be slaughtered like cattle and morgues will be full. :D

5. Thegomezclan

Thegomezclan Well-Known

Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    I had an issue with a Walmart employee once, asked to show ID because she said she had to because of the TABC. I didn't have my Go Pro with me so I opted to leave a cart full of groceries instead of show ID. Been back to the store several times and hadn't been asked again. One thing that chaps my ass is that people we elected think we are to stupid to take care of ourselves so they stand in the way of restoring our God given rights.

6. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have not and do not plan to OC. I have only seen it once besides at the gun range.

It really seems to be the non issue that we figured it would be.

7. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I've seen a total of one person open carrying. That was back in February. He was outside of Walmart, loading the Coke machine or something. Well, I don't get out too often.

8. karlac

karlac TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    [TABLE="width: 680"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]If it's not already, HB 466 needs to be on your radar for 2017:

85R2327 JSC-F[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 3"]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 65"]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 450"]By: Anchia[/TD]
    [TD="width: 165"]H.B. No. 466[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [TABLE="width: 680"]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]A BILL TO BE ENTITLED[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]AN ACT[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]relating to limiting the locations in which a license holder may[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]openly carry a handgun; restricting an exception to a criminal[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]offense.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"] BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"] SECTION 1. Subchapter A, Chapter 229, Local Government[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]Code, is amended by adding Section 229.005 to read as follows:[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"] Sec.229.005.MUNICIPAL REGULATION OF OPENLY CARRYING[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]HANDGUN. (a) Subject to Subsection (b), the governing body of a[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]municipality with a population of more than 750,000 may adopt an[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]ordinance prohibiting a person who holds a license to carry a[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, from[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]carrying a partially or wholly visible handgun within the corporate[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]boundaries of the municipality.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"] (b)The governing body of a municipality may adopt an[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]ordinance under Subsection (a) only if a majority of the[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]municipality's voters voting at an election held for that purpose[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]approve a proposition to authorize the governing body to adopt the[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]ordinance.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"] SECTION 2. Section 46.035, Penal Code, is amended by adding[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]Subsection (m) to read as follows:[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"] (m)The exception provided by Subsection (a) is not[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]available to a license holder who is carrying a partially or wholly[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]visible handgun in a municipality with an ordinance that was[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]adopted under Section 229.005, Local Government Code, and is in[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]effect at the time of the offense.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"] SECTION 3. The change in law made by this Act in adding[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]Section 46.035(m), Penal Code, applies only to an offense committed[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]on or after the effective date of this Act. An offense committed[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]before the effective date of this Act is governed by the law in[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]effect on the date the offense was committed, and the former law is[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]continued in effect for that purpose. For purposes of this section,[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]an offense was committed before the effective date of this Act if[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"]any element of the offense occurred before that date.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 615, colspan: 2"] SECTION 4. This Act takes effect September 1, 2017.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

9. BRD@66

BRD@66 Well-Known

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I OC'd & saw about 6 or 8 people OCing - at the same time, at the same place, last new years day.
    We gunned each other down & that was that.:clown:

10. Nightwatch

Nightwatch Active Member

Jan 9, 2014
    I've seen two in one year...gotta get around to doing it...one of these days.