• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brotherhawk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Local Taco Cabana put up an unofficial sign requesting no open carry. No official signs for any type of carry.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Local Taco Cabana put up an unofficial sign requesting no open carry. No official signs for any type of carry.
    Yep, we saw that in Houston. I don't mind untucking my shirt as long as it's convenient to do so. But now we know so we can make an informed decision about what to do there.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Open carried after church today at a local Subway. An older couple walked in and was in line behind us. When I turned around the woman was staring at my handgun with an almost terrified look. When she noticed I was looking at her she quickly turned and started whispering to her husband. Only thing I could make out was talk about asking if I have a license to carry. I could tell for sure by facial expressions and body language that they were not happy. I just smiled and said have a nice day when we went to sit down. This is the first time I have had a somewhat negative experience.

sealy99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2017
    Huntsville, TX
    I'm curious, other than the physical comfort of open carry vs concealed, what other benefits do you see from it? I haven't carried openly, mostly because I feel that if I ever am in a situation where I need to draw my weapon, I would also want the element of surprise. I feel that many situations where it might be necessary (i.e.. active shooter, robbery, etc...), there's a strong likelihood that the offending party will do a threat assessment prior and target any resistance first. I see another downside being the occasional jackass with something to prove looking to... well, prove something.

sealy99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2017
    Huntsville, TX
    I Recently posted this on another forum (so some of you may have already read it) but I guess it is appropriate here:

I went open carry for the first time last night. It was our wedding anniversary, so my wife and I along with her parents went to have dinner at The Republic Steakhouse in College Station. It was too warm and humid for a jacket or sweater and the wife did not want me to go untucked casual, so I ended up wearing my baby eagle on my right hip in plain view.

The meal was great best porterhouse I have ever eaten. As for the carry it was a total non-event. Even though our table was in the middle of the dining room so that anyone could clearly see what I was wearing. I saw no surprised or shocked looks or furtive glances, no comments from guests or staff, my gun could have been completely invisible for all that anyone seemed to care.

Great restaurant. Took my wife there on a recommendation (live in Huntsville) and wasn't disappointed.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'm curious, other than the physical comfort of open carry vs concealed, what other benefits do you see from it? I haven't carried openly, mostly because I feel that if I ever am in a situation where I need to draw my weapon, I would also want the element of surprise. I feel that many situations where it might be necessary (i.e.. active shooter, robbery, etc...), there's a strong likelihood that the offending party will do a threat assessment prior and target any resistance first. I see another downside being the occasional jackass with something to prove looking to... well, prove something.

I use an OWB holster, but keep shirt tails out, best of both worlds....

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Have you ever thought that a threat assessment by a bad guy seeing someone armed may deter him from doing something bad in the first place? Nobody is telling you that you need to open carry, it's a personal choice. I haven't seen or heard of anyone being targeted by a bad guy because he was open carrying, so that is just conjecture.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Considering how few have noticed me OC'ing over the past 18 months (I do so regularly, and could count on one hand the number of people who have reacted to it), the theory that it makes you a target has been debunked. Plus, given the number of states that allow OC now, there has been little to no reporting of someone being targeted because they OC'd.

Put the whole "I prefer to retrain the element of surprise" in the same urban myths and legends category as "there will be blood flowing in the streets if we allow concealed and/or open carry."

However, it has been proven that criminals prefer easy targets; and will avoid an armed individual; so it serves more of a deterrent if they were to notice (which, like I said, is unlikely).

But my primary reason for OC'ing is simply easier/quicker access to my weapon if needed, especially in a vehicle.

Top Bottom