• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I was meeting a guy at a Valero, he was doing some computer work for me. I arrived a little early and was waiting outside of my car. The manager came out of the store and asked me what I was doing. I had my 45 Shield iwb, evidently someone going into the store saw me and complained. Manager asked if I wouldn't mind waiting in my car. I didn't want any trouble and agreed. That was the only time I've been approached, I always carry, never got questioned in Wally World.

retired deputy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2022
    the big country
    I do not OC.

And frankly in the past year i have seen only three folks practice OC.

One shopper at the dollar store owb with a 1911.
    One at the truck stop/coffee shop/convenience store owb with what appeared to be a Taurus Judge.
    and the last one about 3 months ago in the grocery store the next town over....iwb with what appeared to be a NAA Black Widow based on the distinctive grips above the belt line. That actually looked purty comfortable and I doubt the vast majority of the public would associate those grips with a gun.

I live in a rural county. Biggest city population 4,000. My town has a population of 2000. So my pond is purty small.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    ...and much like concealed carry, the claims of "blood flowing in the streets" have proven to be incorrect. In fact, it has pretty much been a "non-event."

I had to go buy some new wiper blades for the Toyota, and for the first time outside a gun store was asked what kind of pistol I was carrying. I was actually caught off-guard by the question, as it has gotten to where no one seems to notice; but the person asking went on to explain he wanted to get his LTC and only needed to find time to take the class (he was also a firefighter).

So that brings me to my query, as we approach the first anniversary of open carry in Texas, what have been your experiences? I don't OC a lot, as I cannot carry where I work (on a military base); but I try to do so as much as possible during my "off-duty" time. I've also asked a lot of police officers I know if there has been any issues because of OC, and I have yet to hear of any at all.

The greatest positive--outside of restoring rights we should have never lost in the fist place--is as we approach a new legislation in the coming year the lack of any problems with open carry means that Texans in general are not as fearful of firearms as a few may try to lead us to believe. There is finally real "hope" for our future in that we have leadership not only at the state but also the Federal level that truly supports the Constitution. I don't know how well President Trump will do, but at least he is a firm supporter of the Second Amendment; and there is no questioning where Texas Governor Greg Abbott is on the issue.

So I am optimistic, and while I do believe efforts to advance the rights of gun owners need to be prioritized (I believe a reduction in areas automatically restricted by law from carrying is more critical than Constitutional carry, although both are very important), I honestly believe we are heading down the right path and will continue to do so!

Cheers! M2
    From the Wilson Combat channel;

Concealed Carry vs Open Carry is a hot button topic among the firearms community. As President of the 2nd Amendment Foundation, Massad Ayoob has given much thought to the topic. He looks at advantages and disadvantages of each approach.

I am very used to concealed carry with my choices of gun/belt, covering garments since getting a CHL (1996). But since Texas passed the constitutional carry law in 2021 not so concerned the someone might see my gun.

Last edited:

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    From the Wilson Combat channel;

Concealed Carry vs Open Carry is a hot button topic among the firearms community. As President of the 2nd Amendment Foundation, Massad Ayoob has given much thought to the topic. He looks at advantages and disadvantages of each approach.

I am very use to concealed carry with my choices of gun/belt, covering garments. But since Texas passed the constitutional carry law in 2021 not so concerned the someone might see my printing.

It still wouldn't have been a problem open carry made it a nonissue.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    "Printing" was never illegal even before open carry...

Tex. Penal Code §42.01(a)(8).

“in a manner calculated to alarm.”

If anyone still disagrees, show me one conviction for a CHL holder for "printing!"
    I guess I should have pointed that out in my post.

ldaniel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2022
    Humble
    "Printing" was never illegal even before open carry...

Tex. Penal Code §42.01(a)(8).

“in a manner calculated to alarm.”

If anyone still disagrees, show me one conviction for a CHL holder for "printing!"
    All I know is the original Texas def. of concealed carry was

"Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence
    1-19 of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a
    1-20 reasonable person.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    There was always a way to ensure you didn't get in trouble for "printing" even back in 1996. You just had to make sure you had gotten a Bill of Sale for any handguns that you bought in a private transaction AND make sure you had an official CHL Badge on your belt or in your wallet. That and whenever posting on an Internet gun forum you have to end your post with the abbreviation IANAL (I am not a lawyer) or be subject to felony conviction for practicing law without a license.

Did I say I was a lawyer? OK then! :popcorn:

george b

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2023
    Texas
    Well yeah - College Station. But don't be tryin' that sh-, er, stuff in Austin.
    Try that stuff in Austin if you wan't, It is part of Texas and anyone can open carry in Austin without any kind of permit anywhere that it is legal to carry a gun.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    All I know is the original Texas def. of concealed carry was

"Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence
    1-19 of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a
    1-20 reasonable person.

Show me where anyone was convicted by a definition.

In case you weren't paying attention, I posted a state statute.

Maybe you should have looked up what the definition of what a statute is!

stat·ute
    /ˈstaCHo͞ot/
    noun
    a written law passed by a legislative body.

Now you know more than "all I know!"

ldaniel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2022
    Humble
    Show me where anyone was convicted by a definition.

In case you weren't paying attention, I posted a state statute.

Maybe you should have looked up what the definition of what a statute is!

stat·ute
    /ˈstaCHo͞ot/
    noun
    a written law passed by a legislative body.

Now you know more than "all I know!"
    Let us look at---oh, how about the 2005 Texas Penal Code.

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. <----(hint--a statute)
    (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

Now back in 2005 , one way to fail in concealing a handgun is, lets look again at the Definition

"Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person. So if someone sees the firearm or the outline of a firearm, it isn't concealed.

And definitions are important in deciphering the Penal Code, like this one -"License holder" means a person licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code. or
    "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building, or "Handgun" means any firearm that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand.

I didn't keep up with CCH or LTC arrests and I still don't to this day.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    That math stuff is not my good point, by a long shot, but when you post about something from 2005 in 2024, it seems there is a long way between and things may have changed.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Sorry, missed the date on that....

and, why aren't we a
    Most people confuse the technicality of the Bill that makes us a permitless carry state and not a Constitutional Carry State. Not a big deal to call us Constitutional Carry...but incorrect.

No one but me really cares about the distinction......lol...

george b

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2023
    Texas
    Most people confuse the technicality of the Bill that makes us a permitless carry state and not a Constitutional Carry State. Not a big deal to call us Constitutional Carry...but incorrect.

No one but me really cares about the distinction......lol...
    Well I can't find anything that tells the distinction, I just wanted to be correct.

Top Bottom