• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    It's a pretty sad day, when free men are arguing which is the best, and most appropriate way to exercise our rights.

I'm not an open carry guy, but when it's passed, I may open carry.

As far as I see it, some of these open carry rallies seem to be very calm and purposeful, and I thank those who attend. Others seem to be run by younger fellows, who lack a bit of respect and organization traits.

However, these rallies do not directly lead to guns being banned, consequently. In other words, the outcome of a rally does NOT HAVE TO be that companies ban guns on their premises. Although some seem immature and of poor taste, when a leftist organization calls for the banning of any kind of carry, "as a result of", blame the leftists and apathetic. When this happens, open carry rallies become a symptom. A symptom of how much control we have lost.

God bless those of you who donate. I do too, but many of you donate FAR more than I do, and I, we should all thank you. But I believe now is a time where we take our rights, as we do our lives, into our own hands. Action is what will keep what rights we have left. These days, paying people to act on behalf of your rights, is like waiting for cops to arrive, as your face is becoming part of the gravel. We need that aspect too, but going at each other's throats cause some of us aren't exercising our rights, right?

Makes me think of two homeless guys getting a kick out of another, cause he's trying to build himself a home, but he's doing it "wrong".

I could be wrong, God knows I am, a lot. But before some of you get TOO riled up about open carriers "ruining it for the rest of us", think about the possibility that it's just a symptom of the anti's, liberals, far left, GOT THEIR SHIT TOGETHER FAR MORE THAN WE DO.

There's some things that can be said about me. I barely have anything together, in my life right now. I've not TOOK ACTION, in quite a while. Aside from my NRA membership, I've not donated in a few months. Just remember guys, it's not about ME, or YOU, or these guys protesting wrong. It's about US. I love you guys. All of you. My kids, my wife, YOUR kids and loved ones. I want my country back. Let's focus on DOING THAT. How can we ACT? What is the best way to inform our neighbors?

When the hell am I going to shut up?! :P

God bless you all.

jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    I guess I’ll finally weigh in on this. I don’t like the open carry demonstrations because it gives fuel to the anti-gun jerks. They point to the rallies and say, I told you the gun folks are crazy. The liberal media picks it up and reports: “the guns crazies are at it again”. I view the rallies a fuel for the anti-gun folks to use against us.

Bloomberg and MDA have changed tactics. They’re bypassing the politicians and going for the hearts and minds of the people. They are doing everything they can to discredit gun owners and display us in a bad light. Now more than ever we need to show ourselves a rational, law abiding citizens. We also need to win hearts and minds. IMHO, The open carry rallies have done more harm than good..

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I guess I’ll finally weigh in on this. I don’t like the open carry demonstrations because it gives fuel to the anti-gun jerks. They point to the rallies and say, I told you the gun folks are crazy. The liberal media picks it up and reports: “the guns crazies are at it again”. I view the rallies a fuel for the anti-gun folks to use against us.

Bloomberg and MDA have changed tactics. They’re bypassing the politicians and going for the hearts and minds of the people. They are doing everything they can to discredit gun owners and display us in a bad light. Now more than ever we need to show ourselves a rational, law abiding citizens. We also need to win hearts and minds. IMHO, The open carry rallies have done more harm than good..

Profound.
    Lots of truth.

Thanks. Something just clicked.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX

Jon Stewart. Tonight.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    ZOMG! They had a raffle??? Bury them under the prison!

One is an OCT supporter the other is a cop killer. If you have not correctly decided who is who by end of this sentence, you are dead.
    Your pictures aren't working, but I'm guessing it was this one?

306445_2477514346714_1518163542_2711809_572073207_n.jpg

I'm sure a man of your courage and conviction will have no qualms about calling me a "jackass" to my face should we ever meet?
    lmao... and what would happen if someone calls you a jackass to your face?

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    If I'm not mistaken this is all about getting open carry of handguns. The best idea I've heard yet has been to wear an empty OWB holster. Maybe with a training (blue plastic) handgun or obvious toy gun in it. This would be much more likely to bring up the subject for polite conversion about the topic in a nonthreatening way with the general public at large. Anyone can do it anywhere they go. Showing their support and raising awareness without scaring the hell out of everybody and their kids. I don't recall who here bought up this idea but it sounds like the smartest way to go. We could all protest everywhere everyday all day. For some of us it would be good practice for real OC one day.

+1 but here's the problem that I see. How many non gun people know the difference between a blue gun and a blued gun ? Pardon me but really I am having a hard time believing that even if we try that, there wont be 911 calls with "I see someone carrying a firearm. Or I see couple of armed guys in a store" so we are back to square one and doing the same thing what OCT is doing right now. I dont support them at all with their instore tactics but I am just trying to think of a way to make regular people aware of the diffrence.

I just met a guy who really got interested in buying a gun, he wants an M16 from walmart toy section because it looks like a real M16 and he would probably paint the tip black or remove it. "double face palm"

without media support I dont see how we can fix stupid. And on the other hand we have the media portraying every gun in to glock, assualt rifle/ak47 or shotgun section.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    For those that think demonstrations are hurting us, that publicly voicing our beliefs is crazy, that in ANY way our hobby and way of life hurts us if displayed by what we would call unconventional methods, I say this:

This line of thought is what got us here in the first place. The mindset of those against us is not based upon fact, only emotion and the need to belong. It will NOT matter what we do, these wingnuts will hate us. The will always think that. No matter what we do, our guns are evil and so are we. STOP worrying what they think. I don't give a crap what they think! We shot our selves in the foot (pun intended) because we just wanted to be left alone in the shadows and WE idly watched and allowed this "guns are bad and the people who own them are, too" mentality to happen.

You cannot sit by and do nothing.

I ask to ALL the ones saying these OC guys are stupid: What are YOU doing to promote our protection of the 2nd amendment? What rallies are YOU running differently and or attending that are how you think they should be done? I ask those who personally attack and berate what makes you any better than those that would like to destroy us, bury us, and write us out of a history that Americans... AMERICANS! were ever able to freely defend themselves with a firearm? You seem so certain they're hurting us, but have you ever been to a rally? Have you seen the majority of the people run away? Or carry on their normal business? You seem so certain that they hurt us, but is it any worse than sitting and yelling at the TV as our country is ruined by those that VOICE their opinion?

Truly think about it. Short term, this may (strong emphasis on may) be hurtful, but longterm, probably not. Look at the homosexuality fight. Who do you think is winning? Whether you agree with their attempts to change things or not, I would say the more public they are, the more they further their agenda.

Why divide us? Wasn't there a great quote about a country divided? There's a reason this country's falling to shit. It's because it's an us vs them mindset we have all fallen into. Don't further divide our side. Work with them. Infiltrate the rallies and promote our beloved firearms the way you want to. I call you out to do something better. I call you out to join the fight against tyranny and our fellow countrymen who are blinded by emotion. Lead something greater. Lead something farther. Do not break down any movement forward!

Onward we must move. Forward we must fight. The cliffs are at our heals and the weight of the opposition pressing against is great. Don't let them send us over a rocky ledge that we could never climb back from.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Long Gun Open Carry:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

His reference to piloting a plane is irrelevant. That is based off of factual data that can be quantified. Emotion and opinion by humans cannot.

John Stewart was making fun of the long gun carriers into target last night.

I'm pro open carry legally, but against doing it personally in urban settings.

It still amazes me how much influence this guy has as a comedian and the Colbert guy too. I give them props for that alone, whether I usually disagree with them or not.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    John Stewart was making fun of the long gun carriers into target last night.

Note: OC'er in this post refers to radical-stupid OC folks, not everyday people that already OC handguns or even responsible OC'ers that safely and non-threateningly carry long guns.

And, surprisingly, came to the same conclusion we did: "Stand your Ground" (no, that's not the name and it's over-used, but for his point, appropriate) vs. Open Carry could result in some pretty horrific things if an OC'er's intent is misunderstood, especially if they're carrying forward-ready or with their hands near the action. OC may be justified, but stupid OC in stupid places where a CHL'er becomes (rightfully?) alarmed by stupid actions could result in serious injury or death, creating an incident the left would refer to for YEARS to come.

He also lambasted the NRA for first, appropriately coming out against stupid antics, then, under pressure, bowing in fear the same way the OC'ers want every one else to do. I thought that was poignant, too.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I keep hearing about how a CHL holder would be justified in claiming self defense, but I have to say I just don't see it and that situation would be one where the CHL holder was NOT acting responsibly.

Not saying this in support of all the OC rallies, but because it's not a factual argument IMO.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    On this particular subject yeah, you open carry guys are acting like attention starved jackasses.

I promise you I'm about the most pro-gun, small gov't person, you will ever find. Every single time you people pick a corporation to be your rallying cry it bites you in the ass. STOP before open carry of rifles is banned by default because every damn private company in the state is tired of the stupid. The carrying of long arms is legal here already, all you are doing is giving them reasons it should be banned. If you want to protest go do it in front of LEO offices and the legislatures and stop dragging private companies into this garbage. Go strap a hunting rifle on your back and go grocery shopping in pairs or trios might be a bit better than a dozen people posing for pictures with ARs and Bubba'd SKSs waving flags and being on the equivalent of a gay pride festival.

I still don't get wtf open carry of long guns which is legal has to do with open carry of pistols. If nothing else you are supplying the anti-gun people with pictures of stupid junk they can expect to see if open carry of pistols is legalized.

This isn't an opinion pulled out of thin air, if it was working you wouldn't have the rest of the gun community jumping down on the approach. In my opinion carrying an automatic Tavor & an Uzi while picking up some dynamite at the local hardware store to clear out the burrows of the endangered rodents that are eating your garden should be legal but look at the results so far of your approach vs the results gained by using the ballot box.

I'll refrain from throwing out names going forward and we're going to have to agree to disagree on this thing.
    Mosin, if you're capable of getting one little factoid straight, get this one right. I went to one OC event to see what it was all about, posted about, initially supported it, then changed my mind and agreed with most posting that it quite likely doing damage to our cause and stated that I would not attend any more. That hardly makes me an OC "Jackass". Get your facts straight or you and I are going to have serious Come to Jesus meetin' should we ever meet.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    for those folks against the OC rally tactics but for a change in Texas law for OC handguns:

What is the best course of action, in your opinion to get the law changed? I'm a little curious, because for well over 150 years, we have not been able to OC handguns here in Texas so others before us have not had any success trying other methods to get the law changed.

Top Bottom