• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I guess I am kind of a slob, but I never tuck in my shirt, so my G20 is covered regardless of what holster I am using.

Time On Target

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2016
    I am a alumni of the Pearland Citizens Police Academy which I originally attended because it was the only way to start up a Citizens on Patrol group for our new neighborhood then I got hooked on helping out. They also have some wonderful guest lecturers and just before open carry went into effect they brought in one of the experts from the DPS to speak on it and answer questions.

Number one question was about what was required on your own property or on private property where you were allowed to carry. Basically the rules on the holster, having to be licensed, etc. don't matter, I was one of the one interested because I keep mine in my car at work since it isn't allowed inside and go back and forth to home with it in a permanent holster in the middle console. Apparently walking around with it in your pocket or hand at your property may get the police called but it is not illegal. Very few restrictions outside of the Federal ones on felons not having guns apply in the State of Texas on your own property. Which makes me wonder when someone will get hassled in one of the major cities where there are conflicting laws and it will have to go to the Texas Supreme Court to get the city laws struck down. One of the major reasons I don't live in Houston do not need the hassle.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Well, I had a couple of run ins with laborers at my house. The first one stated that he did not like those things. I told him he would not have to worry as it would not be leaving my holster.

The second worked quip “nice piece” and I almost decked him before I figured out he was talking about my SW 642 with walnut grips. We had a nice talk about guns after that.

Carrying on your own property does not require a LTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CptnRn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Wyoming
    Having worked as a land surveyor for several years, I feel I should point out that many homeowners do not realize that their front yard property does not extend all of the way to the street. On my property the actual property line & street ROW is set back about 9' behind the curb. So when you are mowing that stretch of yard you are actually out in the public ROW, not on your own property.

Y'all be careful out there.

OldCurlyWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    Tulia
    Having worked as a land surveyor for several years, I feel I should point out that many homeowners do not realize that their front yard property does not extend all of the way to the street. On my property the actual property line & street ROW is set back about 9' behind the curb. So when you are mowing that stretch of yard you are actually out in the public ROW, not on your own property.

But you are required by one of several entities to maintain that strip of the R.O.W. to the edge of paving because even though they own it(sometimes) they won't mow it. Exception being Highways outside of towns.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Had a bonfire on my property a few years ago and someone called the deputies. Deputy showed up at the road and asked about my fire and water hose. I informed him I was carrying my sidearm and he only said to keep it holstered, adult beverage was in other hand in Yeti cup.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    A few posts in this thread which mention open carry and having contractors, delivery people, etc. at the house.

Personally, I never allow anyone but family or close friends know I have firearms. Figure that minimizes the risk of some stranger coming back when I am not home to steal some of my guns.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County

It was my understanding from the survey I recently had done that the ROW was my property that the county used for a road. Same for the power line ROW across my property. It's mine but they have the right to use it for a specific purpose.

???????

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    It was my understanding from the survey I recently had done that the ROW was my property that the county used for a road. Same for the power line ROW across my property. It's mine but they have the right to use it for a specific purpose.

???????

I believe you are correct.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX

???????
    The short answer is... it depends.

The correct answer lies in your legal property description. In general- if it's a private road, then it's your property with a ROW on it... if it's county or city maintained, then it may belong to them... but it may belong to you with a ROW... even checking the plot plans at the county website may help.

It's a sad state when you need a license to open carry a handgun on publicly owned land.

CptnRn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Wyoming
    ???????

That is often the case in larger tracts of land especially in rural areas and older developments. What I'm talking about is more commonly the case in large subdivisions and in municipalities. As I wrote "many homeowners" don't realize that is not the case for their property.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    That is often the case in larger tracts of land especially in rural areas and older developments. What I'm talking about is more commonly the case in large subdivisions and in municipalities. As I wrote "many homeowners" don't realize that is not the case for their property.
    When read this, all I saw was:

"She's got HUUUUUUGE.......

Tracts of land"

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    When ever I'm carrying, and I have Honey-do's around the house,I leave my piece on, even when i take off my outer shirt/vest/whatever

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom