• Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ok, good Shorts.

If/when we do pass open carry, and if/when I carry openly, I will have a totally different attitude towards officers and questions. These guys started the whole situation on the defensive.

I have been disarmed twice by officers during routine traffic stops, and I have no problem with that. I showed them my CHL and DL, told them I was carrying, and let them hold my gun during our "visit". No problem, no arguement, no "its legal and I can do it", and no video cameras (besides theirs). Complied, called them sir, answered their questions, and showed them the respect they deserved. I try to look at it from their point of view. That attitude just seems to make the process go so much smoother.
    Lynx Defense

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    While those guys could have been a bit less rude or abrasive in the way they were dealing with those officers, at the same time when someone's civil rights are being violated, it is important to stand up and try to make it known instead of simply conceding and not saying anything about it. Being polite goes a long way towards getting what you want, though sometimes others will leave you few other options except to be belligerent.

You know, in the gun community I've seen sort of a veiled animosity towards open carry. I myself can't think of many situations I would ever do so as I personally feel it is a tactical advantage carrying concealed and maintaining the element of surprise. All of that aside, lets remember that according to the Constitution every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms. As simple as that. Everyone can and should be armed, and everyone can and should carry however they see fit. As far as I'm concerned, ALL laws and regulations on firearms are unconstitutional, though it is hard for many to fully understand or agree with such a position since we as a society have become so complacent in regulating the ever living hell out of every aspect of our lives. Concealed carry was not mentioned in the second amendment, simply bearing arms in every sense of the word. Technically speaking, any regulation against any form of carry is unconstitutional even though no SC judge has the balls to say it. Give this some honest thought before you all fall into the liberal mentality of "just because it's not what I'd do and I don't like it, no one else should be able to either". There is no legitimate basis by which anyone can claim open carry should not be legal. The whole premise behind denying it boils down entirely to, "we can't trust citizens to handle this, so they shouldn't be able to". This is big brother mentality and totally contrary to the basis of our country. Whether anyone likes it or not, that is the truth. We need to get out of this mentality of worrying about everyone else and whether they can be trusted, and instead stand up for people's rights and leave their life decisions in their own hands. Nowhere in The Constitution did it say anything like "Civil rights subject to change where citizen determined untrustworthy."

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    While those guys could have been a bit less rude or abrasive in the way they were dealing with those officers, at the same time when someone's civil rights are being violated, it is important to stand up and try to make it known instead of simply conceding and not saying anything about it. Being polite goes a long way towards getting what you want, though sometimes others will leave you few other options except to be belligerent.

You know, in the gun community I've seen sort of a veiled animosity towards open carry. I myself can't think of many situations I would ever do so as I personally feel it is a tactical advantage carrying concealed and maintaining the element of surprise. All of that aside, lets remember that according to the Constitution every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms. As simple as that. Everyone can and should be armed, and everyone can and should carry however they see fit. As far as I'm concerned, ALL laws and regulations on firearms are unconstitutional, though it is hard for many to fully understand or agree with such a position since we as a society have become so complacent in regulating the ever living hell out of every aspect of our lives. Concealed carry was not mentioned in the second amendment, simply bearing arms in every sense of the word. Technically speaking, any regulation against any form of carry is unconstitutional even though no SC judge has the balls to say it. Give this some honest thought before you all fall into the liberal mentality of "just because it's not what I'd do and I don't like it, no one else should be able to either". There is no legitimate basis by which anyone can claim open carry should not be legal. The whole premise behind denying it boils down entirely to, "we can't trust citizens to handle this, so they shouldn't be able to". This is big brother mentality and totally contrary to the basis of our country. Whether anyone likes it or not, that is the truth. We need to get out of this mentality of worrying about everyone else and whether they can be trusted, and instead stand up for people's rights and leave their life decisions in their own hands. Nowhere in The Constitution did it say anything like "Civil rights subject to change where citizen determined untrustworthy."

Absolutely. Correct. That's a fact. Nuff said. No butts about it. True story. Sho nuff. Right on. Word. I couldn't have said it better. Etc, etc, etc...

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008

Buy this man a beer.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I'd like to see Open Carry pass because I think it will bring back the stylish option of the leather shoulder holster with dual mag pouch... Old school needs to make the comeback...

Exile Machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    I'd like to see Open Carry pass because I think it will bring back the stylish option of the leather shoulder holster with dual mag pouch... Old school needs to make the comeback...

^^^This.

I would OC in a heartbeat if it were legal. I like the permit idea then do away with the permit and we join Vermont and Alaska in carrying whatever the hell we like, as we like, without asking for permission from the state.

-Mark

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Okay I'm going to play devils advocate real quick. So every regulatory law should be repealed? So what you're saying that you want convicted sex offenders, convicted felons, and other convicts to be LEGALY able to obtain and carry a fire arm? If no, then how do you determine, or more importantly, how can an officer determine who is legally able to possess a firearm? So all this aside I do think that open carry should be legal but at the same time I don't see why one would want to, when concealment is as some have pointed out a tactical advantage. Now back to abolishing all the gun laws. I do think that more than half should be done away with but I also think that there are a few that need to stay in place. Like no guns to convicted felons for example.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Felons already have civil disabilities that go along with the crime. If you are a felon, you have no rights, and shouldn’t in my opinion. If you don’t want to be a functioning member of society, I don’t care about your right to vote, own firearms, or get certain jobs.

Scarlet letter 'em.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Okay I'm going to play devils advocate real quick. So every regulatory law should be repealed? So what you're saying that you want convicted sex offenders, convicted felons, and other convicts to be LEGALY able to obtain and carry a fire arm? If no, then how do you determine, or more importantly, how can an officer determine who is legally able to possess a firearm? So all this aside I do think that open carry should be legal but at the same time I don't see why one would want to, when concealment is as some have pointed out a tactical advantage. Now back to abolishing all the gun laws. I do think that more than half should be done away with but I also think that there are a few that need to stay in place. Like no guns to convicted felons for example.

I'm conflicted on the felon bit.

I don't think that if you have "paid your debt to society" you should be a 2nd class citizen. If haven't earned the right to be a part of society, then you shouldn't be part of society.

I'm also conflicted about open carry. I like the idea. I don't think I'd do it for tacticle and practicle reasons. I don't want to advertise I have a gun, and I don't want to deal with mis-informed persons. I do think that bearing arms is a part of the constitution, and I also believe in the right of private property.

Does it bother me that I'll never be able to afford a select fire rifle? a little. Is it an infringment of my rights? probably, but is it enough to throw the whole system away? I don't think so.

Some people say that the "weapons" have changed. Others say that the "times" have changed. I think the people have changed. The reality is that most Americans want some kind of gun control. They don't want "the people" to be able to buy full auto rifles or "cop killer" ammo. You mention "armor piercing ammo" and their eyes light up. They see a gun, they expect to see a uniform. It is almost funny to hear the words they make up.

Most Americans don't know squat about guns or ammo. Hollywood, the news, and video games are the ones that are teaching the current and next generation about arms.

I really didn't mean to get this phylisophical, but I really do believe in open carry. I think we have lost the initiative (at least until maybe recently) in the whole political battle. We need to teach the next generation about guns and gun rights if we really want to have the 2nd amendment for ourselves and our children.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R

That's easy. If they're caught, then they're in trouble. Same as when buying a gun now. Ex-cons aren't supposed to even own guns so naturally they're not supposed to carry them either. Why is it that the law abiding always have to pay for someone elses behavior. I say make them pay. Edited. I have a neighbor who has been to prison and I think after all these years, he's an ok guy and should be able to go hunting if he wants. He can't but he's paid his debt and it's been a lot of years. It should be on a case by case basis. But I shouldn't have to get a permit just because of others mistakes.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    My friend,

I would answer question but it has already been answered way back when this thread started. I will just touch on the fact that it is my CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to keep and BEAR arms. Some people can't afford to take a CHL class. Those are just a couple of reasons. There are lots more.

You let the left keep eating away at your rights and we will end up like Commiefornia or the peoples republic of Illinois. Heck. Cali even allows open carry. Just can't be loaded....:banghead: DOH !

I have examined this thread and I have yet to see a strong argument for open carry. The fact that California allows open carry "unloaded" is laughable.

I can be convinced, but yet I have read nothing to support open carry other than "constitutional right", which I would welcome a "constitutional" explanation.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I have examined this thread and I have yet to see a strong argument for open carry. The fact that California allows open carry "unloaded" is laughable.

I can be convinced, but yet I have read nothing to support open carry other than "constitutional right", which I would welcome a "constitutional" explanation.

CA's major burden on open carry, IIRC, is the required distance from schools, which effectively prohibit OC in towns.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I think what I said might be getting misconstrued. I want to know how will take away all regulatory gun laws and still tell a convicted felon that they can't own a gun. If you take all the laws away there will be no law that says otherwise.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I think what I said might be getting misconstrued. I want to know how will take away all regulatory gun laws and still tell a convicted felon that they can't own a gun. If you take all the laws away there will be no law that says otherwise.

I got an answer, but that might be a bigger argument Besides, I've grown fond of some of you guys

Top Bottom