• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Your statement above is circular in nature, but I would argue if there is no tactical advantage to open carry, why is open carry even an issue?

Because it should be a choice. I've open carried and it was fine because I didn't open carry in an area of town where I would get the looks and the rig I strapped on was more comfortable than concealing. The rest of the time I concealed. Open carry isn't for all situations. It was my choice. My informed choice.

If a person doesn't want to open carry, then they shouldn't have to. Goes both ways.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Once again, I am not necessarily opposed to open carry. I merely believe that concealed carry provides a tactical advantage. Moreover, I believe open carry can be interpreted as overly provocative, and would negatively hurt our gun rights and protections.

In other words, concealed carry provides for our personal protection and right to bear arms.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Once again, I am not necessarily opposed to open carry. I merely believe that concealed carry provides a tactical advantage. Moreover, I believe open carry can be interpreted as overly provocative, and would negatively hurt our gun rights and protections.

In other words, concealed carry provides for our personal protection and right to bear arms.

I think we have beat this dog to death ! MOST people get it and some .........ahhhhhh, forget it.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I think we have beat this dog to death ! MOST people get it and some .........ahhhhhh, forget it.

Wait there's a dead dog? Somebody get out the redundancy stick and beat it somemore...

I think there is a distinct tactical advantage to concealed carry... Therefore I'm a f*cking moron and will oppose open carry because I don't want to have the possibility of seeing the shit that's coming at me...

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    My friend,

Wait there's a dead dog? Somebody get out the redundancy stick and beat it somemore...

I think there is a distinct tactical advantage to concealed carry... Therefore I'm a f*cking moron and will oppose open carry because I don't want to have the possibility of seeing the shit that's coming at me...

Real classy response. I think you are representative of why I have not yet bought into the open carry scenario. Please tell me you are not a CHL holder, and that you are restricted only to BB guns....LOL

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    What's the tactical advantage?

What's the difference in seeing the trouble while CC or seeing it while OC? When you don't carry at all, does your situational awareness change? When you carry with a knife only, does your situational awareness levels change from when you are carrying a gun?

What's the specific tactical advantage a person has if they are watching the situation?

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    I am beginning to conclude that the mere advocation of open carry has more to do with self esteem and "wanting to be a cowboy" showing others "what you have" rather than being simply satisfied with personal protection.

Again, why advertise you are armed and dangerous? Could it be some get a "kick" to their self esteem when others know you can carry a weapon like "a police officer"...LOL

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am for open carry as a right, but would probably never do it. It makes you a target. If a BG robs the convenient store you are in, he will probably go after you not the clerk. Not much of a tactical advantage in that. That is the point of concealed carry, who is armed and who isn't?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I am beginning to conclude that the mere advocation of open carry has more to do with self esteem and "wanting to be a cowboy" showing others "what you have" rather than being simply satisfied with personal protection.

Again, why advertise you are armed and dangerous? Could it be some get a "kick" to their self esteem when others know you can carry a weapon like "a police officer"...LOL

Or you simply refuse to accept that others are able to prioritize their risk and rewards different than you.

I'd still like to see the definition of "effective". What is "effective" carry? Why is effective? And How have you determined the difference?
    Until I see those answers, the arguments against OC are those of personal preference.

I'm starting to conclude antiOCers are just of opinion "I don't like it so it shouldn't be allowed".

Edit: I take that back not "..it shouldn't be allowed" but rather "I won't support it when the time comes to support it"

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso

That "dog" is sooooo dead that there isn't anything left to beat !

You know, you're a funny guy. People say all the time that someone owes them a keyboard cuz they spit their drink on it, laughing so hard.......well, I really did spooge on my laptop from reading your comment. Good stuff ! Thanks

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    I have yet to read a supportive argument, besides the constitutional issue. I am open to reading such arguments for open carry.

There shouldn't have to be any argument aside from it's our inalienable right (only the Feds have Constitutional rights). But here are a couple things for your consideration:

1.) Good guys shouldn't have to skulk around, concealing their weapons. They are in the right and should have no issues whatsoever wearing a gun on their hip. In times past, it was the bad guys that hid their guns, just as they hid their intentions.

2.)Think about this - when you are on your own private property, you can carry openly or any way you so desire. Now, that seems intuitive enough, but when you really dissect it, all it really means is that you get to decide who the good guys and bad guys are, and you take responsibility for your own safety. So denial of that right when you're in public really only means that the government is taking that decision from you and deciding themselves who is a bad guy and who isn't. So first of all, when has the government ever decided jack correctly? Second, the mere act of stepping off your property with a pistol on your hip makes you a bad guy in the eyes of the government, despite what the Founders laid out as your inalienable right to keep and bear arms. Taking away my rights "for my own good" has a weird way of pissing me off in a special kind of way. It has nothing to do with being a cowboy and everything to do with being a responsible adult that fiercely defends my independence and responsibility to secure my own person. Finally, your willing abdication of that right doesn't do much more than inconvenience the bad guys, while absolutely prohibiting the good guys, which is point #3 ....

3.) Attempting to regulate anything in this country has never done anything but inconvenience the bad guys and prohibit the good guys. Instead of trying to prohibit things, make the consequences prohibitive. Preying upon an armed populace has prohibitive consequences. Preying upon a disarmed populace is just easy pickin'.

JMO, YMMV.

sv6er

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    I would like to have the right to open carry. I would still hide my weapon to an extent, but I wouldn't have to worry about printing or get paranoid when I bend over or put my arms over my head.

I have a full size handgun, and the only way I've found to conceal it well is to where it at about 5 o'clock. I don't like having my gun in the small of my back, it's a lot harder to draw, but I keep it there to properly conceal it.

If we could open carry, I'd probably wear, at 3 o'clock, a comfortable OWB holster with retention. I'd still cover it up with an untucked t-shirt, but I wouldn't have to worry about someone getting a quick glance at it and it'd be a much better way to carry.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I would like to have the right to open carry. I would still hide my weapon to an extent, but I wouldn't have to worry about printing or get paranoid when I bend over or put my arms over my head.

I have a full size handgun, and the only way I've found to conceal it well is to where it at about 5 o'clock. I don't like having my gun in the small of my back, it's a lot harder to draw, but I keep it there to properly conceal it.

If we could open carry, I'd probably wear, at 3 o'clock, a comfortable OWB holster with retention. I'd still cover it up with an untucked t-shirt, but I wouldn't have to worry about someone getting a quick glance at it and it'd be a much better way to carry.

It is the wearer's choice as to how it is worn with open carry... If you are passionately against open carry because you like concealed then shut up because nobody is saying that you still can't conceal it...

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Or you simply refuse to accept that others are able to prioritize their risk and rewards different than you.

I'd still like to see the definition of "effective". What is "effective" carry? Why is effective? And How have you determined the difference?
    Until I see those answers, the arguments against OC are those of personal preference.

I'm starting to conclude antiOCers are just of opinion "I don't like it so it shouldn't be allowed".

Edit: I take that back not "..it shouldn't be allowed" but rather "I won't support it when the time comes to support it"

Amen Shorts.. There doesn't need to be an argument past the damn constitution, that is the end all be all argument. I have seen plenty of other good arguments for OC and not one really good argument against... I have seen plenty of people say they would still CC and that would be their right...

sv6er

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    It is the wearer's choice as to how it is worn with open carry... If you are passionately against open carry because you like concealed then shut up because nobody is saying that you still can't conceal it...

Uhhh. Please read my post again. I said I would LIKE to have the right to open carry. Don't talk down to me when you're the one being ignorant.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom