Hurley's Gold

Open Handgun Carry in Texas? If not, WHY not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Btw i watched the open carry rally in Arlington on the news, the manager called 911, and several patrons were scared. Think those people were now sympathetic to our cause or did we look like nuts? We love guns but the majority of sheep out there are easily swayed and open carry makes them easy pickins for the scumbag gun grabbers..

So, if we go hide they'll forget about us and leave us alone?
    Im not following.
    Gun Zone Deals

Wbaumer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    In this era of mass shootings, the last thing the public wants to see is a bunch of guys walking around with ar 15s strapped to their backs. You can make very powerful arguments for ccw and the 2nd amendment. I would liken it to a pro abortion supporter. Which i am not btw. They believe in unfettered access to abortion even in the third trimester. Well that is disgusting to the public because a fetus looks a lot more human and killing it is revolting. Now abortion in the first trimester they get away with because there are no pictures of a fully formed fetus to blare all over the news so it is not so politically charged. Same w open carry, it is an overreach that our enemies will capitalize on. Gun nuts want right to carry assault rifles openly anywhere blares cnn, huffington post etc. not worth the fight IMO. Obviously others think it is, i dont.

Wbaumer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    I think open carry is premature. We barely beat back an assault weapons ban and the gungrabbers are looking for victories. Maybe in a few years. Btw just because i oppose open carry now does not make us enemies, just friends who disagree....

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    I think open carry is premature. We barely beat back an assault weapons ban and the gungrabbers are looking for victories. Maybe in a few years. Btw just because i oppose open carry now does not make us enemies, just friends who disagree....

I don't care what the gungrabbers think. They want our guns, they are not getting them. Nothing we do will change their minds. So to hell with them. If someone wants to open carry, let them. If you don't, then don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Wbaumer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    I don't care what the gungrabbers think. They want our guns, they are not getting them. Nothing we do will change their minds. So to hell with them. If someone wants to open carry, let them. If you don't, then don't.

You are missing the point. The gun grabbers will always oppose gun rights, so screw them. What i want are the voters sitting in that restaurant on our side for gun rights and walking around with ar-15s strapped to your back outside their restaurant at lunch is not going to make them sympathetic.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    You are missing the point. The gun grabbers will always oppose gun rights, so screw them. What i want are the voters sitting in that restaurant on our side for gun rights and walking around with ar-15s strapped to your back outside their restaurant at lunch is not going to make them sympathetic.

We have the gun rights. It is called the 2nd amendment. No matter what you believe, some won't change. I am opposed to abortion. Nothing anybody can say or do will change my opinion. Its the same way with guns.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The idea that OC will spur the antis is ridiculous. Your point are a mirror if the arguments against CC. As I mentioned, other states are already doing this and it's not causing any of the things you claim it will.

You say it "premature" yet you also admit that the antis will always be after the 2A. When would be the right time?

So lets say we give up on OC for the sake of appeasing the antis. Do we do the same when they turn their sights on CC for the sake of saving out standard capacity magazines? They will not stop because we give, that has been proven time and time again. Their idea of compromise means we give up only some of the rights they want us to and then they come back for a little more 6 months later.

Your abortion comparison is flawed. It is not possible to have an abortion without taking an innocent life. It is perfectly normal to carry a gun daily without endangering any innocent lives.

You have repeated your opinion several times now. I'm hoping that you will choose to support it with some kind of evidence that any of your fears are grounded in reality. With out that you begin to look like a troll.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Arizona, Arkansas, Oklahoma — just a few nearby states with high praise to open carry. You don't see the public crying about open carry, don't see bad guys disarming open carriers. For the most part, it's a non-issue. Texas would be no different.

And if we scared the weak, crybaby, gun-grabbing liberals out of our state, I'm sorry, I just don't see a problem.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

What was premature was banning OC in the first place. There was no evidence the big bad newly freed slave was going to do anything malicious with an handgun.

OC of handguns was outlawed 142 years ago. We are just trying to get our gun rights back. How much longer should we wait?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You are missing the point.
    I get your point, but you are missing everyone else's... It's a shame that you think a person's right to choose how they bear arms is subject to political whims. Should the 1st amendment be subject to the same political whims? How about the 4th?

RobbieH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Temple, TX
    My only worry is the jackoff that starts shooting because he never operated a firearm before purchasing one so he could simply be on the OC bandwagon. That would ABSOLUTELY happen.

Will the bad guys open carry as well? I'm an immense backer of our Bill of Rights, but I really don't see the point of OC, other than quicker, easier access. I personally don't necessarily want strangers in public to know I'm carrying, or what I have at home, or my beliefs, etc...

Now if its a matter of OC or don't carry at all, I'm OC all the way.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    My only worry is the jackoff that starts shooting because he never operated a firearm before purchasing one so he could simply be on the OC bandwagon. That would ABSOLUTELY happen.

If it will ABSOLUTELY happen, then you should have no problem documenting where it has already ABSOLUTELY happened, in current OC states like OK, AZ,AK, VT, VA, etc.

RobbieH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Temple, TX
    I have a big problem documenting that as I haven't performed a google search for those statistics. Now I'm curious..

I'll rephrase- It's my opinion it will ABSOLUTELY happen. 9 out of 10 doofuses I encounter every day I wouldn't trust with a toilet brush, much less a firearm. However, if they're legally allowed to own a firearm and an OC is in effect, then it is what it is..

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Doesn't/hasn't happened in open carry states yet. And the constitution doesn't protect the right of people RobbieH trusts. Your basic human rights are protected by the BOR, regardless of how deficient you are in the common sense department. I wouldn't carry openly in public, just as I also wouldn't walk down MLK wearing a "f--- 'n-word's" sign or go to gay parade and scream "F------!" but it's not my place or the governments' to stop somebody else from doing it.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    FBI studies have show that as gun ownership has increased since 1984 by over 100 million violent crime rates have fallen by half. This, of course, includes all guns in home, concealed & open carry so it won't answer any questions directly regarding open carry but:

From Arizona (probably the best example given it's diverse demographic and geography):
    The Effect Of Open Carry On Violent Crime Rates | Extrano's Alley, a gun blog

ETA: El Paso mayor contributes low crime rates to gun ownership, despite bordering Mexico's most dangerous city
    http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_19496681 (saw it on Drugs, Inc.)

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom