Join TexasGunTalk

Optics and Triggers

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by LittleBear8me, Jul 9, 2018.

1. LittleBear8me

LittleBear8me New Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Corpus Christi
    So I didn't find a thread on these two subjects so I made one. So let me explain, I am in the middle building my own Ar-15 and now I am doing research on aftermarket triggers ( I have a Mil-Spec trigger but plan on upgrading) so does anyone have a certain type of trigger that they feel is very good? The same question goes with a sight, except for the fact that I do not have any type of sight yet.
    Thanks

2. LittleBear8me

LittleBear8me New Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Corpus Christi
    you know I probably should have looked out of the rifle category. I just found the optics thread...

toddnjoyce and grasshopperglock like this.
  3. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Vroom

Jan 5, 2012
    HH
    I use Geissele triggers. Two stage. It's like nothing you've ever felt. You always hear the description, 'Breaks like glass'.

You'll never fully understand that feel with a turd, gritty, factory, mil-spec trigger. It's night and day between the two.

Optics. I'm an Aim point fan for red dots. Trijicon for scopes. I prefer American made glass on anything.

4. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire Keeping the wolves away TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    I run flat CMC's in my AR's. I'd sure like to try a Geissele....

Don't even get me started on optics... But right now really liking the Sig tango's or romeo's in red-dot. Trijicon is excellent.

5. LittleBear8me

LittleBear8me New Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Corpus Christi
    The geissele two stage trigger is what was recommended to me by my uncle, and then between a red dot and a holographic sight which one would you recommend

6. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Vroom

Jan 5, 2012
    HH
    Red dots do better in the rain. Holographic sights can catch water interfering with the admitter. It messes with the beam being projected on the TV screen. Enclosed red dots don't have that problem.

LittleBear8me likes this.
  7. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Vroom

Jan 5, 2012
    HH
    Red-red dots are designed to excite the shooter. Red is for quick shots.

Green dots are for longer viewing. The color green calms you down. Allowing for a better, longer, eyeball scan of the area.

LittleBear8me likes this.
  8. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce Well-Known

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’m experimenting with a PSA EPT trigger combined with the JP 3.5lb spring kit. All in for <$50. For the trigger.

I’m running a Bushnell TRS-25 right now.

On my list for next month is the PA 1x-6x X 30 gen III scope with ACSS Raptor reticle. It’s an FFP reticle that’s very intuitive and similar to the ACOG TA-31F reticle.

I’ve been putting together what I hope will be an excellent all-around shooter for about $750 all in. It’s taken patience to find the products I wanted at the price I wanted, but I’m happy so far.

9. LittleBear8me

LittleBear8me New Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Corpus Christi
    definitely need the red dot here then, it's either raining here or its humid as hell

10. EZ-E

EZ-E Infidel Patriot

May 4, 2017
    Cypress
    Depends on your budget. You can polish a stock mil spec trigger, change the springs & makes it a little better but still not close to a $200 + Geissele or ELF. I'm pretty cheap so just polished the mil spec & changed springs ... $15.

I'm running Magpul MBUS's & a Bushnell T25 on one my builds ...its not bad for not being magnified & under $100. Hitting 40 a few years ago my vision has been going & anything past 50 yards i need a magnification optic mounted so i have a different build with a Vortex 4x12 Diamondback Tactical.

Over the last few years several companies have come out with BINARY triggers ... they fire on the pull & the release of the trigger....basically 2 shots with one trigger pull.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018