• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alexVT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Austin
    This is my first apartment with my girlfriend and compromise is important. I've made 2 Costco trips and spent enough time inside Target to drive a man crazy. Tomorrow the deal is that if I get groceries and look at furniture at ikea (which I'm actually looking forward to as I've bever been to one), I can go on a little gun buying adventure. My only concern is that since I only arrived in Texas last night, I don't have a Texas ID yet. I still have a Vermont ID. I'm hoping that it won't be an issue considering that VTs laws are pretty much anything goes, and I didn't have an issue buying a gun at an FFL in New Hampshire. However, can anybody think of any potential hang ups I may encounter? If I'm in the clear, what are some gun shops I should check out? I'm looking for a 9mm now...maybe I can negotiate a shotgun in exchange for a trip to bed bath and beyond

On a side note, I absolutely love it here. The people are hands down the nicest people. As my girlfriend put it "nobody is a dick". So thank you people of Austin for being so nice and welcoming (and for building a krispy kreme-I used to have to go to Canada to get those).
    Guns International

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    No one should sell to you w/o a Texas ID. Sorry - but that's Federal Law. Be kind to your fellow gun owners - don't ask them to do so. An FFL won't even consider doing so....

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You need to establish residency. Go to the DMV (you have to get your vehicles registered before you can get a Texas license), and don't forget voter registration.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    New Hampshire touches Vermont so it would have been legal for you to purchase a long gun or shotgun there while being a resident of Vermont. It would have been illegal under Federal law for you to purchase a hand gun.

It is legal to purchase long guns and shotguns in states that border (actually touch) your state of residence. Handguns would have to be acquired through FFL in your state.

Because Texas does not touch Vermont (Thank God for obvious reasons although I love Vermont) it is not legal for you to purchase any firearm here until you have established this as your state of residence.

Don't spend too much time in Ikea. It will for your brain.

Last edited:

Pinlifter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    DFW
    I just dealt with this.

An FFL cannot run your background check without a Texas ID card.

Prepare for a nightmare in getting a Texas DL.

You will need
    Birth Certificate
    Social Security Card
    Current registration
    Proof of insurance
    Out of state DL
    Two utility bills with your name on them (no cell phone)
    Current Medical Cert (if you have a CDL)
    Three Hours
    And way more patience than any man should be required.
    Also, you have to have been in the state for 30 days to qualify for a Texas ID

Last edited:

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Legally an FFL can sell to someone from out of state but they must follow all the laws of both states so most wont do it because they dont want to go through the hassle.

alexVT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Austin
    Do private sales have the same laws about out of state IDs as FFL? I was thinking about checking out the gun show this weekend. People seem to be saying it'll be small, but I'm sure it'll be huge compared to what I've seen back up north. And yes, after driving for 4 days I'm very aware that Texas does not border Vermont ;)

Pinlifter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    DFW
    Do private sales have the same laws about out of state IDs as FFL? I was thinking about checking out the gun show this weekend. People seem to be saying it'll be small, but I'm sure it'll be huge compared to what I've seen back up north. And yes, after driving for 4 days I'm very aware that Texas does not border Vermont ;)

It you are from out of state, it is not legal for you to purchase a handgun from a private party in Texas.

Gather the items above, and in a few weeks, you can transfer your DL to Texas.

Pinlifter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    DFW

alexVT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Austin
    I'd much rather play it safe with these kinds of things. On Monday I'll take a trip to the DMV and take it from there. Thanks for the advice

Pinlifter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    DFW
    Make sure you take the items listed above, or they will turn you awaymm. I just went through all of this a couple weeks ago.

moshow9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    El Paso

Pinlifter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    DFW
    Transferring a valid out of state driver license does not require the applicant (OP in this case if he does have a valid OOS DL) to establish 30 days residency. However, applying as an original applicant (without a valid OOS DL) for a DL/ID does.

I transferred my Iowa license not three weeks ago, and I was required to submit proof of 30days of residency. If you read the DPS website, you DO have to prove 30 days of residency.

You are applying for a new Texas DL, and are treated as such. You essentially are applying as an "original applicant". The only thing that your out of state ID is good for is bypassing the actual testing requirements.

I had to make 4 trips to get all of the documentation I listed above correct. The number of hoops that you must jump through to transfer an existing license to Texas is really quite absurd.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I transferred my Florida DL to a Texas one in a matter of an hour. The only thing I needed was a vehicle registered in Texas. It's not that tough.

And since I was AD military, my Florida DL was accepted because it had my Texas address on it.

Here is the DPS site with info for new residents: TxDPS - Moving to Texas

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Most everything posted above is wrong.

1) even if you were not a Texas resident, You can easily buy rifles and shotguns from any FFL legally since 1986.

2)However since you are now a Texas resident, you buy anything. The problem you have is showing residency. You VT ID shows who you are, you will need other docs to show where you live. Instructions to do this are on the 4473. You are also free to buy FTF without ID.

Form4473-ID.gif

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Two issues most of the incorrect answers missed:

1) Since FOPA86, folks can buy rifles or shotguns in any state where it is legal in both states. The old GCA68 bordering state rule is now long gone.

2) BATFE says you are a resident the day you arrive with intent to stay.

Top Bottom