• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinlifter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    DFW
    I transferred my Florida DL to a Texas one in a matter of an hour. The only thing I needed was a vehicle registered in Texas. It's not that tough.

And since I was AD military, my Florida DL was accepted because it had my Texas address on it.

Here is the DPS site with info for new residents: TxDPS - Moving to Texas

Being AD military is different.

Read that link. It spells out everything as I have stated here. This isn't my opinion. I literally went through this just a couple weeks ago.

FFL's require a Texas DL as proof of residency, or a military ID. So getting one at a dealer is not an option. You may be able to prove your residency, but since your address on your ID is different than that on the background check, it will fail.
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

moshow9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    El Paso
    I transferred my Iowa license not three weeks ago, and I was required to submit proof of 30days of residency. If you read the DPS website, you DO have to prove 30 days of residency.

You are applying for a new Texas DL, and are treated as such. You essentially are applying as an "original applicant". The only thing that your out of state ID is good for is bypassing the actual testing requirements.

I had to make 4 trips to get all of the documentation I listed above correct. The number of hoops that you must jump through to transfer an existing license to Texas is really quite absurd.

From the link in your post the TXDPS website states the following:

To verify Texas residency, an individual must present two documents from the drop down menu below. Both documents must contain the individual’s name and residential address. One of the documents must verify that the individual has lived in Texas for at least 30 days. This 30 day requirement is waived for individuals who are surrendering a valid, unexpired driver license from another state.

Pinlifter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    DFW
    From the link in your post the TXDPS website states the following:

They didn't waive it when I surrendered my Iowa license. I had to go back after the time was up.

I have found that TxDPS does whatever the hell they want to do, rules and regulations be damned... And there was nothing I could do about it.

I called Austin. They told me something different, and I asked if they would call the DPS office to clarify, and they told me that they would defer to the discretion of the people at the DPS office.

Last edited:

moshow9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    El Paso
    Wow, well that sucks. If it states one thing on their website and you receive an answer from DPS over the phone, but then they tell you something different in person does not make sense. I would file a complaint.

Langenator

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    College Station
    If it states one thing on their website and you receive an answer from DPS over the phone, but then they tell you something different in person does not make sense. I would file a complaint.

Sounds about like the IRS. Except there you get fined and/or sent to jail for tax evasion if you follow the wrong guidance.

TheBaldOne

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Round Rock(1431/IH35)
    I have only been here 6 months. But have established residency and went thru all the stuff required to get our dr lic and vehicles/plates when we arrived. It was not that difficult, but they are very specific and seem to follow the rules to the letter. I have not gone thru the br checks yet to purchase but will be right shortly. I hope it goes smoothly.

24DONE

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    kerr
    Texas rocks. Got mine a year ago upon arriving in TX. Only took half hour for both my wife and myself. Laughed our heads off as we walked out how polite and simple it was. Of course this is after a life time of waiting for hours and hours in the peoples communist republic of Kalifornia for anything you need with DMV. It once took me 4 trips to straighten out Kali's screw up on a vehicle registration. Each of those trips were 2-3 hours of wait time. Play by the rules in getting your TX lic or buying a firearm. The Feds are going to have a hard time banning outright, but they are going to make laws for "Public Safety" that are gonna hurt.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Never move to Texas without lawful arms in hand!

We don't register, and we welcome law abiding folk who move to our State with arms legally acquired.

alexVT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Austin
    I just got back from the DPS and I've got my TX license. I brought my passport, a copy of my rental lease, my renters insurance contract, my W-2, and handed over my valid Vermont license. I don't have a car registered in my name so the registration was a non-issue. Now I have a paper license, and the actual card should come in the mail within 2 weeks. If I don't scratch the gun-buying itch by tomorrow I may go crazy!

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Congrat's Alex! How long did it take? A few years ago I sat in line with what seemed to be the dregs of society for 3 hours to get my license swapped over.

Last edited:

alexVT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Austin
    I went to the one in South Austin and it took about an hour from the time my girlfriend and I walked in to the time we both had our new DL in hand. It was so fast, I almost forgot I was in a big city and thought I was back in VT :rolleyes:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    My personal experience last month in dealing with TxDPS is nonsense?

Whatever you say...

These statements you made are nonsense:

Post #6: An FFL cannot run your background check without a Texas ID card.

Post #21: FFL's require a Texas DL as proof of residency, or a military ID.

Post #21: You may be able to prove your residency, but since your address on your ID is different than that on the background check, it will fail.

Pinlifter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    DFW
    Re: out of state ID questionout of state ID question

These statements you made are nonsense:

Post #6: An FFL cannot run your background check without a Texas ID card.

Post #21: FFL's require a Texas DL as proof of residency, or a military ID.

Post #21: You may be able to prove your residency, but since your address on your ID is different than that on the background check, it will fail.

All things that I was told at one of various places I tried to purchase a handgun.

Top Bottom