• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bart Star

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016

I watched this video today and think one of these may be the gun I want. I'm mostly a rifle/shotgun guy but I need to start walking more for my heart problems and would like a small handgun. Both of these two seem real nice especially the one with the big magazine.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    "Overall best handgun?!?"

Sorry, he lost me when the first was a Glock...

Don't let anyone tell you what the "overall best handgun" is. Do some research, handle a few pistols to see what feels right and shoot a couple of 'em if you can; then determine which one works best for you!

One way to accomplish the above is to make friends with folks who own guns and are willing to go shooting with you. I've shot more cool firearms that way!

Oh, and when you get the chance, drop by the 'Introductions' section of the forum and tell us a little about yourself. Also read the Forum Rules and How-Tos, so you won't accidentally do something you shouldn't.

Last and most importantly, welcome!

Cheers! M2

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Have to agree with Charlie. I love my 1911s. But I usually carry an LC9s Pro or an XDs 9mm.
    The best gun is the one you shoot the best. If you can't shoot it accurately, it ain't worth much.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

Bart Star

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    This ^^

But I vote 1911. It's pretty, it's classic, it's thin, it shoots (originally) a big caliber, it's easy to conceal, etc. Other opinions may vary.

I've held them and they are nice but a little bigger than I prefer for walking on warm days wearing light shirts.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    Kinda like declaring the best footwear. I have a Glock 19 in the get home bag. I don't really care for the thing, but it is a functional, if soulless, appliance that would be handy if I needed to get home on foot. I carry a P938 because it's small, light and 1911ish. I want to be holding my Colt Defender when things go sideways because it's an old friend that shoots better than I do and God intended men to carry a .45ACP. I have an M9 beside the bed because it has light rail and a 20rd mag. And lastly, I have an AR pistol in the truck because the truck doesn't like being unarmed since it saw video of 288 being shut down by 'activists.'

I have been meaning to pick up an LCR for yardwork and farting around the neighborhood.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Best is a four letter word.

The "best" handgun is the one you carry.

best is such a vague term for this topic

Best gun for self defense
    Best gun for target shooting
    Best Gun for open carry
    Best Gun for concealed carry
    Best gun for small game
    Best gun for big game
    Best gun for snakes and rhodents

and on and on...

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Why limit yourself to one handgun? For me, there is a favorite pistol for each type of shooting.

Bullseye shooting..........Nothing beats the crisp, 4 pound trigger and tactical sights of a 1911 in .45 ACP.

Concealed Carry............ The Glocks are my choice. In serious shxt, the G21 in 45 with two extra magazines will handle almost anything. There's no mechanism to fool with. Draw, point and shoot a lot!

Rapid fire competition.............S&W 41 or High Standard Supermatic Citation, Ruger Mark 2.

Hand Cannon......... Ruger Red Hawk 44 mag or S&W 29 .44 mag.

Pocket Sized Destroyers............ S&W 640, Ruger LCR in .357 magnum.

Why choose one? Pick the type of shooting skills that you want to emphasize and get a gun appropriate for that service.

Flash

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The term "best" to me is: "The handgun I feel most comfortable with". I have to agree with majormadmax, find out what feels "best" to you. Also many gun ranges rent guns, try 'em out, and do research, the internet is your friend when it comes to finding out the good and bad of most any handgun. (reviews, videos and forums)

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Concealed Carry............ The Glocks are my choice. In serious shxt, the G21 in 45 with two extra magazines will handle almost anything. There's no mechanism to fool with. Draw, point and shoot a lot!

Damn straight. Love my big ugly functional Glock 21. :)

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Why limit yourself to one handgun? For me, there is a favorite pistol for each type of shooting.

Bullseye shooting..........Nothing beats the crisp, 4 pound trigger and tactical sights of a 1911 in .45 ACP.

Rapid fire competition.............S&W 41 or High Standard Supermatic Citation, Ruger Mark 2.

Why choose one? Pick the type of shooting skills that you want to emphasize and get a gun appropriate for that service.

Flash
    I like the way you think.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

Flash

Good point, but as far as limit goes, I always have to refer to my account limit.... If I were to buy every gun that I like I would either have a "0" account or I'd be in serious debt.

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    This is why I have been building my collection for almost 40 years. I got over the thinking that I could replace something I had previously sold when none of them ever got replaced.

Since then, I simply do not sell my hard won treasures, including my weapons, unless there is simply no other alternative.

I have gotten quite adept at finding creative alternatives.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    best is such a vague term for this topic,
    Best gun for self defense
    Best gun for target shooting
    Best Gun for open carry
    Best Gun for concealed carry
    Best gun for small game
    Best gun for big game
    Best gun for snakes and rhodents

and on and on...

YUP!

Our readyness to continue discussing this reflects our infinite passion for the topic of handguns.

Best for introducing a newbie to firearms is my Ruger Single Six .22
    Best pistol if I want to shoot 2 hogs at 100 feet is my suppressed 12" 300 Blackout with a Sis-Tac brace.
    Best if I were in the terror of being shot at is maybe my Colt Python.
    Best for the front pocket of hiking shorts when I'm in a t-shirt is my Rohrbaugh or Sig p938.

See the massive latitude we take with employing the concept of "best".

So, what is common to the posts in this thread is best for "what"?

Presuming a "best" carry gun is your quest in the OP.....either the Glock or the S&W wheel gun.
    Both marvelous choices.
    Personally I like wheel guns best though I own more semi-autos.

Get both.
    Shoot lots.
    Decide then.

BTW welcome to the forum

Last edited:

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'll say something to invite the wrath of some 1911 lovers.

If you have a female around you that could need to use the gun in a defensive situation the 1911 just might be a terrible choice.

For very many (ya, y,a ya, not all) females the 1911 is hard too chamber, dangerous to de-cock and intimidating to fire.

For my wife and a good number of female shooters I've been around it is thoroughly disliked.
    Worst of all it's hard on their manicured nails.

You guys with a wife/girlfriend/both that carry a S&W .500 mag revolvers in their garter and can shoot their 1911s with accurate delight can flame me but I know I'm right.

IMO wheelguns are best for both sexes unless you shoot it monthly at a very minimum.

Top Bottom