• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    That is fantastic news!!! Not that I will be leaving the gun in my car at work.

Texas finialy came through on something!!!
    Venture Surplus ad

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Licensed peace officers in Texas must carry a weapon 24/7 on or off duty. There are thousands of former law enforcement officers who have other jobs now who let Texas sponsor their peace officers license. I think it some sort of homeland security thing. It gives Texas a larger list of potential LEO to turn to in the event of some sort of critical emergency I think.

Everything highlighted in red, blue or green is completely incorrect.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Your vehicle is considered your castle (house) in Texas. It is legal to have a weapon in your house (vehicle) and what the legislation is making clear is that an employer does not have the right to tell you what you can have in your house (vehicle) if you can legally own a weapon. You don't need a CHL to own or keep a weapon in your house or vehicle. This was made clear by the castle doctrine two years ago.
    Also, this is nonsense.

Kyreb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Houston TX
    So, once it goes through and it goes into affect, what do you think the likelihood of large companies changing their policies is? Think they'll.....

Modify policy and announce it.
    Modify policy and keep it low key.
    Leave policy unless somebody brings it up.
    Leave policy but not enforce it.

I'd like to see them modify the policy, but I will not bring it up. I'll just "start" keeping mine in my truck at work since it'll be okay :)

I work for one of the larger oil & gas companies here in Houston. Last year when this passed in a couple other states and we thought this would passin TX, our HR folks said they would modify the rules on a state by state basis to comply.

Bearbacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    DFW
    We see what the bill states. My next question is, what happens to the employer if he decides he does not want to comply and fires an employee? In practical terms, my guess is nothing, since Texas is an employment at will state. Any employer can fire an employee for a valid reason or for no reason at all; they just cannot do it for a forbidden reason. My point is an employer can always find a reason to terminate employment if they really want to.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    What if they search your car? This bill is a turd.

I guess if they do random searches, yeah you're right. I was thinking they only search people who they think may have guns.

The better bill would have been to disallow searches of private employee property such as cars, purses, etc.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Most companies have these rules because they fear lawsuits. So they are unlikely to fire you from fear of a lawsuit.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Driller
    Licensed peace officers in Texas must carry a weapon 24/7 on or off duty. There are thousands of former law enforcement officers who have other jobs now who let Texas sponsor their peace officers license. I think it some sort of homeland security thing. It gives Texas a larger list of potential LEO to turn to in the event of some sort of critical emergency I think

Everything highlighted in red, blue or green is completely incorrect.

I'm sorry, but .

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    Licensed peace officers in Texas must carry a weapon 24/7 on or off duty. There are thousands of former law enforcement officers who have other jobs now who let Texas sponsor their peace officers license. I think it some sort of homeland security thing. It gives Texas a larger list of potential LEO to turn to in the event of some sort of critical emergency I think.

Please elaborate....nobody told me I was "required" to carry.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I know lots of SAPD officers that don't carry off duty. Isn't Peace Officer certification required, or is that separate from academy completion?

Not sure I get the question but you can graduate an academy and not ever get to be a Peace Officer....you need two things to be a PO
    1. to complete an academy 2. to get commisioned by an agency.

nowhere have I ever heard of an officer who is required to carry off duty.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Not sure I get the question but you can graduate an academy and not ever get to be a Peace Officer....you need two things to be a PO
    1. to complete an academy 2. to get commisioned by an agency.

nowhere have I ever heard of an officer who is required to carry off duty.
    So if they are working SAPD officers they are Peace Officers?
    Back to the original question brought up by Cal's reply, are Peace Officers REQUIRED to carry 24/7?

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    So if they are working SAPD officers they are Peace Officers?
    Back to the original question brought up by Cal's reply, are Peace Officers REQUIRED to carry 24/7?
    I have no knowledge on this whatsoever, but I'm gonna make an educated guess and say that it might be something dictated from individual departments and jurisdictions, rather than set by the state.

Top Bottom