• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Newest figures Googly Moogly has for TX Leo numbers is from 2009. Says the Lone Star State has more than 73,000 Peace Officers. If there are 100 felons in Law Enforcement, of the 73K, I am OK with the number. I personally don't believe in the lifetime FEDERAL prohibition to firearms possession and the state of TX agrees. Not sure that LEOs should be felons, but if they continue their felonious/stupid activity, they won't be LEOs long. The state has seen the issue (Gypsy Cop), and will act on those as long as everyone in the chain of command does their job (due dilligence with the background checks and contacting previous employers).
    Anyone that feels it am wrong in my thought process, feel free to disagree.
    Lynx Defense

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Amen, although this is the one area where I am totally in favor of licensing. The licensing process should be showing you can put subsonic rounds in the 10 ring at up to 50 feet (probably maximum engagement distance in an airplane).

Kind of like the endorsements on your drivers license? (e.g. Class C, Motorcyle, etc.) I'd be all for that as an interim step.

You just couldn't fly outside of Texas or you'd be screwed. Can you imagine landing in LaGaurdia with a .45 on you?

mace

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Houson
    How does this affect the potential for passage? Here are some key deadlines and some seem pretty close.

Dates of Interest

Still looks good, I think. The conference committee has been appointed, and is made up almost entirely of authors and co-authors of the bill. I expect they'll get it back to the House and Senate in time for a vote.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Wow. You guys are in for a treat:

Also, numerous police officers in Texas have criminal convictions on their records because they were licensed when no law prevented it. For example, officers first hired in the 1980s could be employed in spite of a felony conviction. "We probably have over 100 felons working as peace officers in the state of Texas," Braaten said.

With legal loopholes, troubled pasts often not factor in hiring of Dallas County deputy constables

Plenty more where that came from if you want to spend some time searching DMN or google. Elected officials are a real problem too, like Sheriffs and Constables. I think one criminal was recently re-elected in Hidalgo.
    Elected positions are next to impossible to do anything about. It always amazes me when poeple elect felons, and it happens more than one would think, especially in deep south Texas.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    That's partly because voters in deep South Texas realize that sometimes people get thrown in jail over crap that doesn't really matter. Of course it's mostly because of bad judgement by the voters, LOL. Worse than the LEO felons down there, there's some JP's and Judges down there that have no business being in their positions. I think that's the bigger problem down there.

CAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Bexar County
    Which felonies do you consider "crap that doesn't really matter"?

That's partly because voters in deep South Texas realize that sometimes people get thrown in jail over crap that doesn't really matter. Of course it's mostly because of bad judgement by the voters, LOL. Worse than the LEO felons down there, there's some JP's and Judges down there that have no business being in their positions. I think that's the bigger problem down there.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Which felonies do you consider "crap that doesn't really matter"?

We could start with a long list of things that the state shouldn't consider illegal in the first place like drugs and NFA items. The problem is that because they're illegal the same people you catch for those are many times the ones who also murder and commit other serious crimes.

CAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Bexar County
    We could start with a long list of things that the state shouldn't consider illegal in the first place like drugs and NFA items. The problem is that because they're illegal the same people you catch for those are many times the ones who also murder and commit other serious crimes.
    Ok, you're one of those guys. I just wanted to make sure I understood where you were coming from.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Ok, you're one of those guys. I just wanted to make sure I understood where you were coming from.

Yep, I'm definitely one of those guys. I support personal responsibility and freedom. I'm pretty mild mannered, conservative and definitely not into anything illegal. I just think I should be this way because I choose to be and not because someone tells me to.

I hope this doesn't come off as flippant over the internet, just explaining.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Amen, although this is the one area where I am totally in favor of licensing. The licensing process should be showing you can put subsonic rounds in the 10 ring at up to 50 feet (probably maximum engagement distance in an airplane).

50 feet is inside 20 yards. If you can't manage the 10 ring on a CHL qual target...

BTW, .45 is subsonic. ;)

Top Bottom