Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    To lighten the mood a bit, does anyone remember before braces where a thing and AR pistols came out we were all discussing if it would be legal to put the rubber feet off a walker or cane on the ends of the buffer tubes? Are we coming back to that?
    I remember that quite clearly. Nowadays I think that will be interpreted as constructive possession of parts designed to increase shoulder-contact surface area, thus making your AR pattern pistol into an SBR.
    Hurley's Gold

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    No one’s “opinion” should ever be allowed to over-ride our clearly worded Constitutional RIGHTS.
    I feel ya. I agree.

Now, how well will our attitude stack up against the basic rule under which the USA has operated for ~2 centuries, namely "The words in the Constitution mean whatever the Supreme Court says they mean"?

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    No. The buffer tube alone makes it an SBR.
    The atf seems to contradict itself on that. They also say

An AR-type pistol with a standard 6 to 6-1/2 inch buffer tube may not be designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder even if the buffer tube provides surface area that allows the firearm to be shoulder fired because it is required for the cycle of operations of the
    weapon.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I feel ya. I agree.

Now, how well will our attitude stack up against the basic rule under which the USA has operated for ~2 centuries, namely "The words in the Constitution mean whatever the Supreme Court says they mean"?
    <>

Ben, you & I both know that politically-inspired judicial appointments have negated much of the protective intent of having a Third Branch. Our Senate has been notably negligent with its consents under McConnell.

A “Tyranny in Black Robes” is the absolute worst, as there may be no appeal except as armed citizens could force.

I have noted and commented, as have many others, that “Something is seriously wrong if we can reliably predict our Justices’ votes before any evidence is presented, and before arguments have been heard !”

Aren’t judicial opinions supposed to be based on Facts, Law, & Constitution?

Instead, we are clearly seeing them based on Justice’s preexisting politics!

leVieux

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    I wholeheartedly agree but I'm unable to see that many moves deep into the game.

If anyone has charted that path, they don't seem to be publishing their map for us to follow along. Or I've just missed it.
    Per the ATFs website as to why the NFA was necessary, or to the purpose of it:

This legislation is a direct response to gang violence, this act imposed criminal, regulatory and tax requirements on weapons favored by gangsters: machine guns, silencers and sawed-off shotguns.

So it seems that if that's the purpose, but there is now a clear 10 year history of short barreled rifles being commonly available and widely owned, yet not disproportionately used by criminals, that the Act can be shown to be unnecessary or overly applied or ineffective. And since it's an infringement on a stated, protected right, then it should be viewed with the strictest scrutiny. It's restrictive without purpose or effect and therefore should be abolished (the SBR portion being the most obvious and relevant).

We didn't have this 10 years of proof until ATF told us these are effectively SBRs. That's where I think we need to focus our energy via the NRA-ILA, GOA, NSSF, etc. For silencers and machine guns, they can still argue (falsely) that the reason more crimes aren't committed with silencers and mgs is because the NFA exists. They can't make that argument with the SBRs.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Oklahoma City.....

.....which is something I expect to see more of in the coming years as government refuses to be held accountable. And I'm not looking forward to it....
    If you're talking about McVeigh, that's not citizens coming together. I'm talking about when the militia comes together to take up arms and stand shoulder to shoulder.
    Having said that, I post in response to dipshit-in-chief comment about "you need an F-15", that no, you need a rifle, fertilizer, or a box cutter apparently. 4 presidents died. Small arms: 4; f-15s: 0. Reagan almost made 5. Buildings brought down by F-15s: 0. Fertilizer: 1. Box cutters: 4+.

While I'm not condoning domestic terrorism, I am fighting the creeping definition of that. Now that applies to every Tea Party rally, Jan 6 demonstration resulting in property damage, or NRA convention.

But still, as of right now, I hate to say that if the jack boot thugs come to your door and shoot your dog, your neighbors will just post it on TikTok. You are alone in this fight.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I am throwing a cigar and bourbon party when that mother ****ing piece of **** lon horiuchi deprives us of his company and departs for Hell.
    I recoil from interpersonal conflict and will do almost anything to avoid physical violence.

This, however, is an outcome I would be honored to facilitate.

Assuming I don't get that opportunity, I still want an invitation to your party. :)

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The atf seems to contradict itself on that. They also say

An AR-type pistol with a standard 6 to 6-1/2 inch buffer tube may not be designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder even if the buffer tube provides surface area that allows the firearm to be shoulder fired because it is required for the cycle of operations of the
    weapon.

They put that in there as a thinly veiled attempt at not re-writing the law. They later go on to show measurements take from AR-type pistols and rifles and show how closely things like weight, LOP, OAL are. And then the have the catchall of original design purpose, which for ALL ARs is Eugene Stoner’s rifle configuration.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    1674344928121.png

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Bombshell Hidden In Pistol Brace Rule!

Foreign made pistols were manufactured in violation of 18 U.S.C 922(r). Page 247 of the rule.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I have come to the conclusion that ANYONE that is even considering in complying with this outrageously illegal and unconstitutional action should do so and end up getting their firearms confiscated as they are way too stupid to own a firearm in the first place, which, as per the Form 4473 does in fact have an indication for NICS denial for "mental illness" on line 11f.

And during my research I found more reason to NOT let Californians relocate to Texas...

On the ATF form 4473 (11f), "...Have you ever been committed to a mental institution?", will yes automaticly disqualify you?​

I was committed in my past (last is 5 years ago) in California once as a juvinial and once as an adult. I will be applying in Texas to purchase a firearm (now residing in texas.) I think it was a 5150 but I honestly don't remember. I was commiited by my psychiatrist and not a court in both instances. What will happen?

"Committed" means ordered by a judge. i.e. a civil conviction resulting from a trial over your mental health and your inability to function at even a basic level outside of a mental health institution.

A police officer's emergency detention (as it is known in Texas) or you voluntarily checking into a hospital or treatment facility for mental health, even at your psychiatrists direction is not what this question is asking.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Bombshell Hidden In Pistol Brace Rule!…

Foreign made pistols were manufactured in violation of 18 U.S.C 922(r). Page 247 of the rule.
    So that’s part the RIA scenario 4 discussion that starts on p. 241.

ATF states in their commentary, “The Department disagrees that all the firearms at issue in this rulemaking were legal at the time of purchase and lawfully possessed. ATF became aware that many short-barreled rifles equipped with a “stabilizing brace” had been sold by various manufacturers as pistols without the submission or receipt of a voluntary classification request from ATF …These unregistered short-barreled rifles have been transferred in violation of the NFA, and further possession of any such unregistered firearm continues to be a violation of the NFA.

That’s on p. 242; the 922r part of the discussion is secondary, but ATF implies there’s no legal path forward on those except destruction or turn in.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Keep emailing and calling your legislators.
    Also join and support a gun rights organization. A few of the best right now:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    So that’s part the RIA scenario 4 discussion that starts on p. 241.

ATF states in their commentary, “The Department disagrees that all the firearms at issue in this rulemaking were legal at the time of purchase and lawfully possessed. ATF became aware that many short-barreled rifles equipped with a “stabilizing brace” had been sold by various manufacturers as pistols without the submission or receipt of a voluntary classification request from ATF …These unregistered short-barreled rifles have been transferred in violation of the NFA, and further possession of any such unregistered firearm continues to be a violation of the NFA.

That’s on p. 242; the 922r part of the discussion is secondary, but ATF implies there’s no legal path forward on those except destruction or turn in.
    The AP5 better not be part of this.

Top Bottom