• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    After 93 days, I decided to email the ATF about my application.

To my surprise, I got a reply less than 12 hours later...

"Your background is in a delayed status with the FBI"

No further info. I don't know if there is an issue with me, or they are just behind on processing applications.

Anyone who knows my background will know it's not me. I have been vetted by the FBI on several occasions without issues. I've had other Federal, state and municipal agencies also run background checks on me without a problem. If there was something of significance, I wouldn't have a job!

Of course, they could be reading my posts on here! ;););)
    Can't clearances cause background checks to get manually reviewed?

I used to get delayed all the time when mine were still active. Thought it might have something to do with my birthplace, but after the clearances expired I never got a delay again.
    Capitol Armory ad

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    After 93 days, I decided to email the ATF about my application.

To my surprise, I got a reply less than 12 hours later...

"Your background is in a delayed status with the FBI"

No further info. I don't know if there is an issue with me, or they are just behind on processing applications.

Anyone who knows my background will know it's not me. I have been vetted by the FBI on several occasions without issues. I've had other Federal, state and municipal agencies also run background checks on me without a problem. If there was something of significance, I wouldn't have a job!

Of course, they could be reading my posts on here! ;););)
    Where do you email

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Can't clearances cause background checks to get manually reviewed?

I used to get delayed all the time when mine were still active. Thought it might have something to do with my birthplace, but after the clearances expired I never got a delay again.

I haven't experienced that in the past, and I don't see how an agency which has done background checks on me in the past would suddenly have a problem with my Form 1 application.

I was also born overseas but that too hasn't been an issue.

The ATF essentially has washed their hands over the delay, as they don't do the background checks. They did add the fact I have very common first and last names may be the cause, but again this is not the first time the FBI has run a background check on me!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …They did add the fact I have very common first and last names may be the cause, but again this is not the first time the FBI has run a background check on me!
    With prints and PII, no less. I think FBI has decided to let the 88 day clock run out as a matter of policy. Then, instead of closing the check, they deny it.

Bureaucratic evil at work.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    All’s I can say is if you go out and register anything, you deserve whatever happens to you.

source.gif

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Good video out from Washington Gun Law on the brace rule.

He is saying that Mock V Garland will prevail and we will likely be rid of this bullshit in the next few weeks.

Of particular interest is 5th Circuit Justice Don Willets remarks.
    He pretty much nails ATFs ass to the barn door.
    You can hear his remarks by jumping to about 6:00 mark

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …He is saying that Mock V Garland will prevail and we will likely be rid of this bullshit in the next few weeks…
    There’s a little finessing of that statement required.

In Mock v Garland, the district court denied FPC’s request for an injunction; FPC appealed that denial to the Fifth Circuit who then granted and later expanded the injunction back in May pending the Fifth Circuit’s ruling on the injunction.

On August 1st, that ruling was issued and directed the district court to go back and reconsider the original injunction that was denied in light of the Fifth Circuit’s decision.

So, by the end of October, the district court is going to release a new ruling on FPC’s injunction. That injunction again deny injunctive relief, but that is unlikely. It could also narrowly apply to Mock, Lewis, Maxim Industries, and FPC, Inc or it it could be widely applied to everybody in the nation.

The Fifth Circuit directed the district court to understand that nationwide injunctions are rare, so I don’t think a nationwide injunction is coming. Instead, I expect we will see a narrower class get injunctive relief.

FPC has until Aug 18th to file their arguments for injunctive relief with . ATF/DOJ must respond by September 1st, and then FPC has until September 9th to respond to ATF’s defense. Judge O’Connor then has until September 30th to rule (again)on the motion for injunctive relief.

No trial date on the merits if FPC’s case has been set; we are likely 12-18 months out for that and I expect either side will appeal no matter the outcome.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    There’s a little finessing of that statement required.

In Mock v Garland, the district court denied FPC’s request for an injunction; FPC appealed that denial to the Fifth Circuit who then granted and later expanded the injunction back in May pending the Fifth Circuit’s ruling on the injunction.

On August 1st, that ruling was issued and directed the district court to go back and reconsider the original injunction that was denied in light of the Fifth Circuit’s decision.

So, by the end of October, the district court is going to release a new ruling on FPC’s injunction. That injunction again deny injunctive relief, but that is unlikely. It could also narrowly apply to Mock, Lewis, Maxim Industries, and FPC, Inc or it it could be widely applied to everybody in the nation.

The Fifth Circuit directed the district court to understand that nationwide injunctions are rare, so I don’t think a nationwide injunction is coming. Instead, I expect we will see a narrower class get injunctive relief.

FPC has until Aug 18th to file their arguments for injunctive relief with . ATF/DOJ must respond by September 1st, and then FPC has until September 9th to respond to ATF’s defense. Judge O’Connor then has until September 30th to rule (again)on the motion for injunctive relief.

No trial date on the merits if FPC’s case has been set; we are likely 12-18 months out for that and I expect either side will appeal no matter the outcome.
    Ignorance is bliss. It must be a curse to be that smart and understand the ins/outs. Thanks Todd for being out interpreter.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Ignorance is bliss. It must be a curse to be that smart and understand the ins/outs. Thanks Todd for being out interpreter.

Eh, it’s a time suck.

I was in ROTC when the Air Force was drawing down post-Desert Storm. Three years in a row a lot of my upperclassmen were given the “opportunity” to walk away free and clear or defer commissioning to pursue a grad degree, so I did the pre-law track with the plan of deferring and going to Texas Tech Law School if that option was presented, which it wasn’t.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I almost LOL’d at this Reuters quote:

“ Short barrel rifles are subject to special registration, longer waiting periods for purchase, and higher taxes because they are potentially more dangerous than handguns.”

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    I finally got the last of mine in approved. All in it took roughly 3 months for each one. One was taking a really long time and I withdrew it and re submitted it. It is too late to do that now but 3 months afterwards it arrived as a approved in my email box.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I've received 2 out of 3 approvals that were all submitted on May 9th. The first one on 14 July, the second one on 31 July. Still waiting on the third.

Top Bottom