Police not happy about relaxation of TX CHL law

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by ml1209, Sep 7, 2009.

1. ml1209

ml1209 Active Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Not sure if this is a dupe, but it was new to me.

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou090907_tnt_concealed-handgun-law.157ad644c.html

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't see the big deal, if you conceal the gun in the car without a license it's not like they'd ever know it was there since you don't have to tell them. Hell, you can leave a loaded long-gun in the car too, in plain sight.

I guess it's OK for cops to have a firearm, but they are evidently scared of a CHL holder having one. It's OK for a cop to point his firearm at me, for his safety, but somehow I have no obligation to the same thing.

This sounds like a pile of crap if you ask me, and moreso like a few cops are getting mad at losing out on some power over the people. I don't know of a single cop locally that I've known or talked to that is concerned with CHL holders. Hell, half of them are CHL holders. I smell politics.

3. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Most of the cops I know don't care, one way or the other. Most of them prefer more CHL'rs out there

4. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I know a few cops who aren't pleased with it, but quite frankly, tuff shibit! They are charged with enforcing the laws, not interpreting them.

5. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Exactly, I know all of my cop friends aren't concerned at all with CHL holders. Hell, one of them is a CHL instructor, LOL.

6. Texas Solo

Texas Solo Active Member

May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    Gary Blankinship, president of the Houston Police Officers’ Union, said the new rules could put officers at risk.

I have a problem with this....he's one man, and does NOT necessarily speak for all the Officers.

“We feel like the way it was was much safer,” Blankinship said.

Who is "We" ??? Did he poll the entire union??

7. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    And it's legal to have a concealed weapon in your vehicle in TX without a CHL anyway.

It does stink of politics.

8. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth

9. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

+1

Closet Democrats

10. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Only law enforcement person I ever had the opportunity to show my CHL card to wasn't in the least interested. His advice was "Slow down" & a warning ticket. He was a middle aged Texas Highway Patrolman. I know, we call them by the yankee term "State Troopers" now, or y'all do. I don't.