• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should we open up the Politics section?

• Yes - Bring Back Politics

Votes: 63 69.2%
    • No - We Don't Need It

Votes: 28 30.8%

• Total voters

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    A number of people asked that we reinstate the politics section. I'd like to start a discussion about what you guys want and ideas on how we can manage the section. There's been a few reasons why we removed it in the past:

1) People form vigilante groups and attack anyone outside of their views.
    2) People with thin skin lose it when someone disagrees with them.
    3) People cannot argue their point respectfully, they often resort to name calling and mockery.

FWIW, I'll put my money where my mouth is: Since I've always been one of the biggest proponents of political discussion on these forums, I'd be glad to volunteer my services as a Moderator for a political section. I'm an Admin on two different forums, and I think my participation here supports that I can be fair and objective. Anyway, it's a sincere offer, and thanks for reconsidering politics!
    Capitol Armory ad

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    I wouldn't care. It's not hard to not go to that section if I don't want to participate in the discussion. That simple.

Sent via iPhone using Tapatalk v2.Immabadass.1

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Personally, it was my favorite section. I learned a lot and hopefully helped others learn a few things. It was always satisfying to get someone to admit they were going to rethink their positions on a given issue, especially when they were against controversial gun freedoms like open carry or unlicensed carry.

For all the PITA it may have been, it also seemed to me to be a good place to help win people over. I saw it happen more than a few times.

I agree with others that banning disruptive people from certain sections may help keep it more civil; but my opinion is totally unqualified as I have never had the PITA job of moderating a forum. In the end I respect your decision to regulate your property how you want.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    And there is no way it can be objectively moderated. Sorry, but any attempt to quell one person's opinion is going to be censorship; no matter how many people it pisses off.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with this. The moderators here have always been quite fair. I've even seen them play Devil's advocate for issues they disagree with just to present both sides of an argument.

96fordsix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    conroe
    I vote yes, but then I was trying to get my post count high enough to get in. Usally can't anything more to most of discussions

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    How can we truely discuss guns and rights without discussing politics?

ChunkyMonkey's right (except for misspelling "truly")

I also agree with just_jk's "from personal experience, 1911 is as fair as they come if you have an issue with a moderator.."

And I like matefrio's idea: "
    If there was a form for this I think it should be members only view and not indexed as it'd distract from the sights image."

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I wasn't around when politics were an open topic around here but will admit that I don't follow most of it and think that a civil discourse would likely help me learn and understand certain aspects better. Expanding your mind and exploring other perspectives are rarely bad things as long as (most) people can refrain from losing it.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    I like the idea of having a political section, if people don't like it, they don't have to click on it.
    Exactly!! I say bring it back. I found it amusing and it always made me laugh. I've been known to tow the line testing the "Vacation Hammer"waters, imagine that? but if someone truly gets out of hand give em a lil vacation. 2nd time nuke em for good. and to all the naysayers.........if ya dont like a political section, well then just stay the .... out. actually rule #1 should read- "Crybabies stay the hell out!!" it"s as simple as that......

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    There is already a gun legislation section here and politics seeps into it. Maybe make that section more open to politics surrounding 2A and other gun legislation?

If you brings back a general politics section, I would separate it from the rest. It will be a PITA to moderate and I hope that if one was banned from that section, you would not get banned from the rest of the forum.

Overall, I vote no.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    My problem with politics is it creates personal animosity that extends beyond that particular forum. What starts there doesn't stay there.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Not sure how you separate the political system out. Together, the Federal and State regulations are so onerous and intrusive that they affect almost every decision about how we acquire, build, use and sell/gift guns. Here's just a few that are impacted. I'm sure I've left a ton out.

Point being, with something as heavily regulated as firearms it's impossible to separate.

Acquire: CHL vs ATF form 4473, "straw purchases", NFA, bans on certain imports, who should be able to have ...., BradyBunch, Bloomberg, etc.
    Build: NFA, 922R
    Use: Concealed carry restrictions, open carry restrictions, land size/shooting restrictions, Castle Doctrine, etc.
    Sell/Gift: Taxes, NFA implications, Bills of Sale vs. not, family in other states, shipping regulations/USPS, enthusiast vs dealer (ATF), etc.

Maybe limit political discussion to only those related to firearms? e.g. Rant all day about Constitutional Carry but disallow discussions about Obamacare?

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    We are now entering a very critical time in the political arena. One that will have extraordinary impact on us no matter which way things turn out. Gun rights related, economic, defense, immigration, education, you name it. It seems to me that sticking our heads in the sand, and not discussing important issues is counter productive.

That said, my sense of it is, most who belong and post here on a regular basis share similar political views. What I don't like in some political forums with the same demographic make up is it turns into "preaching to the choir" with members simply posting links to the latest Faux pas made by the candidate they don't like, and other members then posting +1. Although that sort of thing usually doesn't cause problems, it simply gets old.

So I guess what I'm saying is I don't feel strongly if politics is allowed or not. If it is, I may engage in it. If it's not, there are plenty of places on Al Gore's Internet where I can get my fill of politics.

Thank you for asking.

Domineaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Houston
    As a couple people have mentioned that previous political discussions helped them to understand or opened their eyes to the importance of politics, I think it would be a service to our country to encourage such discussions.
    Think about it this way, most of the members on a forum like this are for personal responsibility, liberty and constitutional government yet many (likely a great many) don't pay any attention to politics or even vote. Wouldn't it be good to get them aware of why they should be participating in our governmental process which is supposed to be "of the people, by the people and for the people"?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have always hated political subjects and refused to discuss anything to do with politicians, issues and the law making process. TGT is absolutely responsible for changing of my ways. I see now, that I can still detest the process but participate in the discussion of issues, make informed decisions and vote the thieving bastards out of office! I recognize that people like me who don't give a shxt about politics are the the root cause of our government running out of control and our participation is the ONLY way to get it back on track.

On the last day of early voting, I took my sample ballot to the polling place. I had completely researched the candidates and their positions prior to the vote, met some of the candidates over the previous weeks and quizzed them on their Second Amendment views. I cast my vote for people who respect me and my way of living. TGT and our political "intercourse" is totally responsible for that change in me. I never did any of that crap before and although I didn't especially like doing it, knew that it had to be done.

I am a changed man.

Our TGT political threads damn sure did some good but anything worth having is bound to cause SOME pain! Freedom is NOT free.

Politics at TGT.............Bring 'em back!

Flash

Top Bottom