• ...and so much more!
  • Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Is it better to run it say once a month for 15 minutes or run any fuel if any in it on arrival and leave it empty until first Emergency it is needed? I'd imagine it will be shipped empty of fluids due to Federal mailing regs? thoughts?

Once a month for 15 minutes is good. I do about 20 minutes. Make sure you put a load on it and test each outlet. I don't worry about fuel stabilizers, just put enough fuel in it to run it without running it dry.
    Gun Zone Deals

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    The way to have one that does not require much maintenance is one that has no engine.
    This one uses the engine that I use a few time a week. I welded some angle iron to frame it.
    It puts out 50 amps @240 volts. Diesels can sit for a long time and still start.

Propane or natural gas also works well for engines that sit a long time.

Gasoline engines with carbs are not reliable after the gasoline evaporates and clogs jets. My brother has one with a Subaru single cylinder engine that sat and clogged. I had to disassemble the carb and drill out the jets.

Not as portable as some but I can drive it to where I need it.
    And an old washing machine housing from a scrap yard fit the frame to keep the rain out.

bob

Last edited by a moderator:

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    A friend mentioned converting it with a tri-fuel kit. I checked and there are reasonable kits out there for it. My question is, how well/long does propane store in one of those BBQ bottles? I'd bet a heck of a lot longer than gas even with stabil in it...

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    I've had a Honda EU3000 for at least 15 years at this point. Changed the oil twice, air filter once, maybe. Spark plug once. Can't remember. Probably need to do all that again.

Make sure I run it dry everytime I use it before putting it away. It was only source of ranch power for many weekends, quieter than RV generator when I used to do track days and BIL used it after Rita when they had a newborn that needed AC and refrigeration. It ran solid for a week, then went to my dad's to keep a freezer cold.

Had to pull start maybe twice when the battery ran flat from disuse. Then ran like a top both times.

It's lived up to the Honda reputation.

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    A friend mentioned converting it with a tri-fuel kit. I checked and there are reasonable kits out there for it. My question is, how well/long does propane store in one of those BBQ bottles? I'd bet a heck of a lot longer than gas even with stabil in it...
    The propane will never go bad. If you keep the bottle dry and rust free it will too.

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    A lot longer than the one gallon gas tank it has. It really depends on the generator load. Propane has less BTUs than gas but is a more efficient fuel. I would guess it would run about as long a 5 gallons of gas.

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    The way to have one that does not require much maintenance is one that has no engine.
    This one uses the engine that I use a few time a week. I welded some angle iron to frame it.
    It puts out 50 amps @240 volts. Diesels can sit for a long time and still start.

Propane or natural gas also works well for engines that sit a long time.

Gasoline engines with carbs are not reliable after the gasoline evaporates and clogs jets. My brother has one with a Subaru single cylinder engine that sat and clogged. I had to disassemble the carb and drill out the jets.

Not as portable as some but I can drive it to where I need it.
    And an old washing machine housing from a scrap yard fit the frame to keep the rain out.

bob
    Thats a nice looking PTO generator. What RPM do you have to run your tractor engine at?

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    The tractor PTO runs at 540 and the GEN runs at 1800 through the gearbox. It takes 24 HP to run at FULL LOAD.

I bought it a year ago and it was a little cheaper then.

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Voltmaster-PTO15-12-PTO-Generator/p5390.html

I had to weld up the angle iron frame and hook-up a tumble bar.

I can run most things in the house or the shop. We live in a rural area so we have 2 wells and septic.
    Without electricity we would have to haul in water.

bob

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    The tractor PTO runs at 540 and the GEN runs at 1800 through the gearbox. It takes 24 HP to run at FULL LOAD.

I bought it a year ago and it was a little cheaper then.

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Voltmaster-PTO15-12-PTO-Generator/p5390.html

I had to weld up the angle iron frame and hook-up a tumble bar.

I can run most things in the house or the shop. We live in a rural area so we have 2 wells and septic.
    Without electricity we would have to haul in water.

bob

How long would one of these 2200 gennys run continuously on a BBQ size propane bottle?
    The 3400 watt Generac I have in my Toy Hauler use .7 gallons of propane an hour at 100% load, I would think yours would use something like a 1/2 gallon an hour, so a bbq tank 8 to 10 hours

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Top Bottom