• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If it wasn't prohibitively expensive I'd buy the shot out of solar panels. Will last a lot longer than gas, diesel, or propane when the world ends.

But for short term needs, generators work fine and don't turn you gay after prolonged use. I knew a guy that went and used a bunch of solar panels experimenting and what not. When he came to 6 hours later he was in a back alley with Bruce Jenner. Seems even acute exposure can cause short term gay. Luckily he had enough sense to go home and smash every damned panel.

Dangerous stuff, that solar energy.

Sent from my HAL 9000
    Texas SOT

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    If it wasn't prohibitively expensive I'd buy the shot out of solar panels. Will last a lot longer than gas, diesel, or propane when the world ends.

But for short term needs, generators work fine and don't turn you gay after prolonged use. I knew a guy that went and used a bunch of solar panels experimenting and what not. When he came to 6 hours later he was in a back alley with Bruce Jenner. Seems even acute exposure can cause short term gay. Luckily he had enough sense to go home and smash every damned panel.

Dangerous stuff, that solar energy.

Sent from my HAL 9000

I can only assume you post is in good fun and jest but,I am at the point where my short term needs are covered. Hell my long term goals are in the near future. I want to be and intend to be self reliant before I die. I am so close I can taste it.

I am not a windmill generator, and when I fart in their general direction they don't seem to turn any faster, so I will continue to belive that windmills are at best a secondary source of power for people in Texas. I may partake in the energy they produce on my own land by my own hand, but only as a buffer for for the raw power produced from the PV panels developed here in the US of frackin A, and manufactured in all sorts of hell holes across the globe.

At this time the payoff point for an off-grid PV system for my homestead is ten years or less. Anything more is money and electricity in my pocket.

The payoff point for my investment properties is fifteen years or more. Sure they may bring in more FRN's in the long term but that won't make me anymore self-sufficient today, making my own electricity will.

God bless us all, we are all in need, hard times are ahead.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    PV panels are a pretty easy way to get energy from the sun, but the easy path leads to the dark side and gayness. I think a more robust system would use a mirror array to focus the sun into a spot, and using the intense heat from that to do work. If you had trouble using it to turn a generator or do some other work, then you could at least convert it into an Archimedes death ray.

If it wasn't prohibitively expensive I'd buy the shot out of solar panels.
    Could look at buying used. Sometimes used industrial panels come up for sale. Just keep in mind old panels can only produce about 80% of their rated wattage.

Here's another un-gay way to use solar energy:

Apparently I not lazy, I am just gay, what a frackin relief. lol
    Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Another fun part about solar is battery setup and management.

DMC, are you familiar with Backwoods Home?

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    BHM has done plenty of articles on solar setups over the years, from types of solar panels to batteries to charging setups to wiring, etc. Backwoods home also has a forum; folks have detailed descriptions and photos of their setups.

Definitely worth checking out.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I like the fact that it has wheels and is set up to pull around like a kid's toy. I have several generators and two of them were way too heavy to carry around, alone. I built a cart for each one with front axle steering. I pull it around like a toy and it saves my back!

Flash

Top Bottom