• ...and so much more!
  • Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Powder Valley has:

Servicio Aventuras Small Pistol Primers

For $55 a thousand. I've never used them. Made in Argentina. Anybody ever use these?
    Gun Zone Deals

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Powder Valley has:

For $55 a thousand. I've never used them. Made in Argentina. Anybody ever use these?
    Have not bought them. Reports are they work fine, but cup is a little harder than most primers. Have not heard of any misfire issues. Have bought quite a bit of components from Powder Valley, they are great people to work with. You can actually talk to a human if you need to. They ship promptly. They are reported to be the largest distributor of canister gun powder in the USA.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Haven't used them personally, but a few of the guys I compete with have used them. They go bang, and can be a bit more difficult to seat for some, so make sure you're putting in the effort to seat them all the way

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Powder Valley has:

I've loaded with them and haven't had too many issues overall. Between us and a few guys I know running them, that is probably close to 40 million rounds this year without any major issues. They had a hiccup earlier this year with some lots produced where the anvil wasn't seated completely and so you would get separation in feed bowls for the priming machines. They corrected that and the recent lots have been much, much better in terms of that issue. Now they are no worse than any other import primer in terms of finding "spare" anvils in your feed bowl. The camera catches them for us and you'd catch it loading your sticks or feeding in a RF100. Otherwise, compared to American brands they are slightly dusty in volume (nothing that a handloader would care about) and they have a slight flash to them. The latter isn't noticeable unless you are shooting in low light and doesn't affect performance. Overall, they work well and have been a good primer.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I've loaded with them and haven't had too many issues overall. Between us and a few guys I know running them, that is probably close to 40 million rounds this year without any major issues. They had a hiccup earlier this year with some lots produced where the anvil wasn't seated completely and so you would get separation in feed bowls for the priming machines. They corrected that and the recent lots have been much, much better in terms of that issue. Now they are no worse than any other import primer in terms of finding "spare" anvils in your feed bowl. The camera catches them for us and you'd catch it loading your sticks or feeding in a RF100. Otherwise, compared to American brands they are slightly dusty in volume (nothing that a handloader would care about) and they have a slight flash to them. The latter isn't noticeable unless you are shooting in low light and doesn't affect performance. Overall, they work well and have been a good primer.

Thank you. At first I was gonna say you guys sure do shoot a lot but I take it from the context of the rest of your reply that you're a commercial manufacturer. You probably have a better feel than the rest of us for what's happening with the US primer manufacturers. Any signs of supply coming back?

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Thank you. At first I was gonna say you guys sure do shoot a lot but I take it from the context of the rest of your reply that you're a commercial manufacturer. You probably have a better feel than the rest of us for what's happening with the US primer manufacturers. Any signs of supply coming back?

US manufacturers don't seem to be in a hurry to start lowering their pricing even though they have been well above market price for other brokered brands for about a year and a half. I doubt we'll see any relief anytime soon from US manufacturers but new OEM pricing comes out around SHOT show and I'll be pleasantly surprised if it goes down. Import brands have made good inroads since COVID and have proven themselves to be reliable enough for use in the US market so they have compeition.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Well I'm going to try them! Powder Valley has free Hazmat today only for Cyber Monday on a $99 order so I ordered 2,000. $136.33 delivered with shipping (that wasn't free, just the hazmat) and of course sales tax which is hard to avoid anymore. Still better than the $79.70+tax Academy wants for CCI.

I don't really need them that bad, but I thought I'd try them in case they ever turn up real cheap. Plus as I have learned over the past few years you can't have too many small pistol primers! I was lucky I put in a large order just before the Sandy Hook shortage and resupplied in the lull between that and the Covid Shortage. I went into the current one with 20,000 primers and still have 7,000.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    Well I'm going to try them! Powder Valley has free Hazmat today only for Cyber Monday on a $99 order so I ordered 2,000. $136.33 delivered with shipping (that wasn't free, just the hazmat) and of course sales tax which is hard to avoid anymore. Still better than the $79.70+tax Academy wants for CCI.

I don't really need them that bad, but I thought I'd try them in case they ever turn up real cheap. Plus as I have learned over the past few years you can't have too many small pistol primers! I was lucky I put in a large order just before the Sandy Hook shortage and resupplied in the lull between that and the Covid Shortage. I went into the current one with 20,000 primers and still have 7,000.
    So you saved about $37. Let us know how you like them.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Failed. I had about 30% failure-to-fire shooting single action in a S&W model 66 that never misfires. Second and third attempts to fire the original misfires worked about 50%of the time. I'm going to try my Ruger Blackhawk....

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Failed. I had about 30% failure-to-fire shooting single action in a S&W model 66 that never misfires. Second and third attempts to fire the original misfires worked about 50%of the time. I'm going to try my Ruger Blackhawk....

I had a similar issue with the military primers. I run light springs in my AR, But the REM BR primers work fine.

Curious to hear how these primers work in the Ruger.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    I've read and others here commented that fully seating the primer was a possible issue. I've never bought them or fired bullets loaded with them. It must not be a common problem, lots of people buy them from Powder Valley, especially when nothing else is available. I've been told, they require quite a bit of seating pressure to fully seat. I've used CCI, Winchester, Remington, and Federal. Never had a single misfire. I too shoot a revolver, Uberti 357mag/38spec.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I've read and others here commented that fully seating the primer was a possible issue. I've never bought them or fired bullets loaded with them. It must not be a common problem, lots of people buy them from Powder Valley, especially when nothing else is available. I've been told, they require quite a bit of seating pressure to fully seat. I've used CCI, Winchester, Remington, and Federal. Never had a single misfire. I too shoot a revolver, Uberti 357mag/38spec.
    I'll try seeing what I can do about seating them. I loaded these with the priming system on my Lee Classic Cast single stage and it normally has no problem seating primers. There's no "stop" on it like my Dillon. I might get out the Lee Ram Prime I never use but keep as a back-up. That gives you the full-force of the press on a downstroke. I'm going to hand-clean some primer pockets and try it again. As long as I can get them to work in something at least I can get through this thousand. I have a fair amount of Winchesters on hand in the meantime.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    I'll try seeing what I can do about seating them. I loaded these with the priming system on my Lee Classic Cast single stage and it normally has no problem seating primers. There's no "stop" on it like my Dillon. I might get out the Lee Ram Prime I never use but keep as a back-up. That gives you the full-force of the press on a downstroke. I'm going to hand-clean some primer pockets and try it again. As long as I can get them to work in something at least I can get through this thousand. I have a fair amount of Winchesters on hand in the meantime.

I have a Lee Hand Press with the Ram Prime. My primary press is a Redding.

I have a Lee RAM Swage. for pockets. Bought it for military brass. I had an issue with it, it applies pressure on the top of the brass. My default in brass with pocket issues is a Hornady primer pocket reamer, you have to be careful not to over apply it, but it is an incredible tool.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Well I loaded a box with cleaned primer pockets and used the Ram Prime. I crushed the first couple a little. I don't think I've ever used the Ram Prime on my Classic Cast before. It did feel like there was a little more to go after the "release" which fools you into stopping. It's kind of hard to feel. We'll see.

Top Bottom