• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Same here probably for ten minutes, didn't even puddle. Gutter in front of my house was just wet. Better chance for tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I went to church this morning in Huntington, about 20 miles from me. Standing water in the parking lot. Church members told me they got about 3 inches over a period of two hours yesterday. Not a drop at my place 20 miles southwest of there. I heard the thunder, saw the lightning, but it missed me by about 10 miles.

Lord, in your mercy, please sustain this earth with your life-giving rain

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    .03" in July for me. It started sprinkling Saturday but not enough to get everything wet nor even measure .01" in my weatherstation. Small shower to the south early this morning but I felt about 6 drops while riding my bicycle 10 miles. I could handle sitting on the porch and just watching it rain for 1 or 2 hours.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Got about 25 drops on the driveway just now. I don’t think that really classifies as rain.

I remember my grandfather telling me that during the drought of 1948-49, he and a neighbor had a bet going about when it would rain. They decided they needed a metric to determine whether or not it was an actual “rain”. They decided it was not “rain” unless it dripped off the edges of a tin roof. That was near Hallettsville, TX.

He usually ended the story noting the “drought of ‘48-‘49” ended with the “Flood of ‘49”, which was classified as a 500 year flood.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    It's pretty predictable out here.
    1998 was awful dry. 1999 ended a 7 year drought.
    2011 was awful. 2012 ended the drought.
    2022 is awful. You fellers on the southern gulf coast better keep your insurance paid up next year.

That's just in the last 20 some odd years.
    Dad and Papaw talked of the 1930s up to the 1960s.
    Pretty much the same.
    The same cycles keep repeating. A few really wet years that drown crops and stall harvesting followed by the few years of prosperity. Then the few years of drought.

I figure next year is going to flip the switch.
    I'd recommend planting something for cattle and wildlife grazing. Wouldn't count on a big harvest.
    Hail or too much rain, or rain too late will mess that up.

The '24-27 will be the bumper crop years.
    Harvest and sell.
    After that, business as usual. When 2030 rolls around, lay all you can in store.
    It'll dry up again for a few years.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Got about 25 drops on the driveway just now. I don’t think that really classifies as rain.

I remember my grandfather telling me that during the drought of 1948-49, he and a neighbor had a bet going about when it would rain. They decided they needed a metric to determine whether or not it was an actual “rain”. They decided it was not “rain” unless it dripped off the edges of a tin roof. That was near Hallettsville, TX.

He usually ended the story noting the “drought of ‘48-‘49” ended with the “Flood of ‘49”, which was classified as a 500 year flood.
    Hallettsville? That’s the area my roots are from. Shiner actually

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    It's pretty predictable out here.
    1998 was awful dry. 1999 ended a 7 year drought.
    2011 was awful. 2012 ended the drought.
    2022 is awful. You fellers on the southern gulf coast better keep your insurance paid up next year.

That's just in the last 20 some odd years.
    Dad and Papaw talked of the 1930s up to the 1960s.
    Pretty much the same.
    The same cycles keep repeating. A few really wet years that drown crops and stall harvesting followed by the few years of prosperity. Then the few years of drought.

I figure next year is going to flip the switch.
    I'd recommend planting something for cattle and wildlife grazing. Wouldn't count on a big harvest.
    Hail or too much rain, or rain too late will mess that up.

The '24-27 will be the bumper crop years.
    Harvest and sell.
    After that, business as usual. When 2030 rolls around, lay all you can in store.
    It'll dry up again for a few years.
    There is wisdom in what you say.

I remember the droughts of ‘98 and 2010-11. Definitely cyclical and quite predictable. I’m glad I’ve moved away from the Houston area. The hurricanes were scary, but what was even scarier was the way people behave after a hurricane.

Retired Spook

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Texas - the Douchebag State
    I have been praying daily for rain. Not just in the state of Texas, but throughout the south and southwest where drought conditions have existed, in some places, for years. I happened upon this prayer, and invite all of you so inclined to use it as a reference. If you are like me, you sometimes know what you want to pray for, but have trouble finding the words.

“Dear God, we cry to You to send rains to the parched lands of Texas. Lord, the rains have been withheld and our fields are becoming like a dust bowl and Lord. there is not a single cloud in the sky. And yet, You are God and You are the one who poured out rain on the land, when Elijah prayed. Like Elijah, we come to You Lord, and pray that You would send clouds with an abundance of rain, for the land is dying and we are in great need.

Lord, our hope is in You and our trust is in You. Without You Lord, we could not survive in this land and we know and acknowledge this fact, and so we cry out together for You to hear our prayers for rains to drench the earth and bring new life to a land that is thirsty and arid.

Forgive us Lord, for the times that we have not thanked You for Your ongoing provision, but do not hold that to our account, for You have promised to send water to the earth in due season and so we look to You Lord, we look to You, for our hope is in You alone, for we have no one to help us apart from You. In Jesus' name,

Amen.”

Source: https://prayer.knowing-jesus.com/Prayers-for-Rain#1033
    Amen

Top Bottom