• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am new here, I searched for the DPMS LRT SASS, this and one other thread cam up. I do not see any references made to the gun I SASS, I was wondering if anyone here has any direct experience with one? I have one and have only put five rounds through it. It has a sightron scope on it for the time being, I am really only looking to be accurate to about 500 to 600 yards. Thanks
    It depends on what you consider accurate. Man sized target? No problem if you do your part.

I believe most guys going for a SASS type rifle just build their own. That is usually cheaper and you can go for exactly the parts you want.

SASS seem like nice rifles though. That being said, my rifle is an off the shelf DPMS with a free floated tube and will shoot under MOA easily.
    Guns International

Mac7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2015
    South of Dallas
    It depends on what you consider accurate. Man sized target? No problem if you do your part.

I believe most guys going for a SASS type rifle just build their own. That is usually cheaper and you can go for exactly the parts you want.

SASS seem like nice rifles though. That being said, my rifle is an off the shelf DPMS with a free floated tube and will shoot under MOA easily.

Well then I will be looking to make some changes.

KiloKilo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013

+1......what Dawico sez..........
    KK

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    You already have one, is that correct? Then what's your question? The SASS is just a different configuration of parts for the most part compared to the other DPMS rifles. The factory SASS should be sub MOA out of the box.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Well then I will be looking to make some changes.
    What are you going to change?

If you bought it new and have only five rounds through it you have no clue what it can do. If you got it used and it isn't impressing you, clean it.

If you just don't like some of the parts then I get it.

Mac7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2015
    South of Dallas
    What are you going to change?

If you bought it new and have only five rounds through it you have no clue what it can do. If you got it used and it isn't impressing you, clean it.

If you just don't like some of the parts then I get it.

I did buy it new and really have no idea what it will do, I am having a hard time with finding somewhere I can shoot at that range. This next time off I will open it up and see what it'll do. I just bought "Accuracy and Precision for longrange shooting," hoping to get some pointers on doing it right. My favorite gun to shot is my little 10/22, its accurate and cheap to play with. I would like to be able to have the same amount of fun with this one, it won't be as cheap though.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Few thought here.

1. You haven't shot it enough to know much about it at all. Making changes now would be like trying to fix an engine without knowing the symptoms.

2. We don't know anything about it. Was it shooting 8" groups at 50 yards or 2" groups at 100?

3. What ammo were you shooting?

4. How old are you? (You seem impatient, which makes me think young, not that it matters, I just got curious and figured it was time for a run on sentence)

5. My first thought is that you tried to buy accuracy before learning to shoot accurately. A full custom benchrest rifle won't shoot any better than a deer rifle without some skill behind the stock.

6. Accurate to 500 yards isn't much of an qualifier. What your really looking for is precision. That's what keeps the groups small. Accuracy just means hitting the target, precision means every round hits the same spot on the target.

Put about 100 rounds of quality ammunition through the gun. That will give you a chance to see what it likes but only scratched the surface in the precision game. If you haven't done much precision shooting start a thread and get some tips. I've found this part of the sport to be one of the most challenging because you are never good enough. Always trying to beat the last group. There are a million ways to screw up a shot and only one way to get it just right.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Oh yeah, almost forgot.

You light it be looking through the scope right as well. Changing sight picture, even a little bit and sometimes Un noticeably as it appears through the scope can open your groups quite a bit.

Should probably start a thread with more detailed info on the issue, which you can get buy putting more rounds through the rifle and documenting your results. Post pictures of the targets, take note of shooting positions, rests, wind so we know what's going on. Making blind changes to the rifle at this point will have you running in circles.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Younggun pretty much nailed it. Unless it just doesn't fit you, it is too early to start changing parts. You have a good platform to begin with and throwing money at it won't make you a better shooter.

Trigger time and good habits are the key. Even dry fire will help.

Mac7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2015
    South of Dallas
    Few thought here.

1. You haven't shot it enough to know much about it at all. Making changes now would be like trying to fix an engine without knowing the symptoms.

2. We don't know anything about it. Was it shooting 8" groups at 50 yards or 2" groups at 100?

3. What ammo were you shooting?

4. How old are you? (You seem impatient, which makes me think young, not that it matters, I just got curious and figured it was time for a run on sentence)

5. My first thought is that you tried to buy accuracy before learning to shoot accurately. A full custom benchrest rifle won't shoot any better than a deer rifle without some skill behind the stock.

6. Accurate to 500 yards isn't much of an qualifier. What your really looking for is precision. That's what keeps the groups small. Accuracy just means hitting the target, precision means every round hits the same spot on the target.

Put about 100 rounds of quality ammunition through the gun. That will give you a chance to see what it likes but only scratched the surface in the precision game. If you haven't done much precision shooting start a thread and get some tips. I've found this part of the sport to be one of the most challenging because you are never good enough. Always trying to beat the last group. There are a million ways to screw up a shot and only one way to get it just right.

I am 31, and I work offshore. Being rushed is a understatement, I spend half my life away from the family. When I come in its like being pulled in a million different directions.
    I haven't honed any skills shooting long range, we shoot pistols and AR's all the time at the house. Just no where to really laydown and spend a good amount of time. I shy away from starting threads unless its chit chat, almost everything that could be done has been addressed in one form or another. I can start one, I'll wait till I am home and going to go shoot first though. I really want to reload at one point or another, so quality ammo isn't a issue. I did buy the gun thinking that it would shoot well out of the box, I haven't even sighted it in right yet.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I am 31, and I work offshore. Being rushed is a understatement, I spend half my life away from the family. When I come in its like being pulled in a million different directions.
    I haven't honed any skills shooting long range, we shoot pistols and AR's all the time at the house. Just no where to really laydown and spend a good amount of time. I shy away from starting threads unless its chit chat, almost everything that could be done has been addressed in one form or another. I can start one, I'll wait till I am home and going to go shoot first though. I really want to reload at one point or another, so quality ammo isn't a issue. I did buy the gun thinking that it would shoot well out of the box, I haven't even sighted it in right yet.

Give it some time before you make any changes. Maybe get with an experienced long range shooter and let them put some rounds down range.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Get a SIG716 if you don't want to break the bank to hard. I bought one a few years ago and it's a fantastic rifle, doesn't beat out the M1A but I still love it.

Top Bottom