• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Yep. In CO, heated seats and steering wheel was the same way. Part of why I went with the Kr package on my current truck. Heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheel.

I thought heated seats were stupid and just one more way to get people to fork over money for a worthless feature. Then I got a car that had them. I miss those heated seats now...at least four months out of the year, anyway.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I remember as a kid being fascinated by the research Dr. Amar Bose did in acoustics. Right up until I heard what his work sounded like.

Granted, he was a pioneer in making compact folded waveguides to get small enclosures to sound "bigger," but they didn't necessarily sound "good." It's basically a tube with the driver mounted 25% of the way down. Adjust the length to match the driver diameter and away you go. For the pro sound reinforcement (clubs, theaters, and outdoor venues) market, Bose at one time marketed the "Acoustic Wave Cannon" aka. the iraqi thud launcher. Sure it was loud, but it was basically an organ pipe. Hope you like your bass in the one note variety.

Cool 'Horn Luke

Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2022
    Corsicana, TX
    I thought heated seats were stupid and just one more way to get people to fork over money for a worthless feature. Then I got a car that had them. I miss those heated seats now...at least four months out of the year, anyway.
    I'd use 'em even in the summer. On long trips, helps keep the back loose.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I remember as a kid being fascinated by the research Dr. Amar Bose did in acoustics. Right up until I heard what his work sounded like.

Granted, he was a pioneer in making compact folded waveguides to get small enclosures to sound "bigger," but they didn't necessarily sound "good." It's basically a tube with the driver mounted 25% of the way down. Adjust the length to match the driver diameter and away you go. For the pro sound reinforcement (clubs, theaters, and outdoor venues) market, Bose at one time marketed the "Acoustic Wave Cannon" aka. the iraqi thud launcher. Sure it was loud, but it was basically an organ pipe. Hope you like your bass in the one note variety.

Yeah they do a lot of research and publicize their science…but at the end of the day, they target “pleasing” sound quality that doesn’t really equate to accuracy.

For example, they tend to over-emphasize upper-bass and upper-midrange, so people think they’re hearing a lot of bass and treble and that equates to “good” but obviously isn’t accurate. In my opinion it’s a band-aid for low-quality components.

They did do some very interesting research into active suspension technology in the early 2000’s.

I’m pretty sure Mercedes-Benz either uses it or licenses it, but in very small volumes and it’s very expensive to buy, much less maintain.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    So, how are you getting the Family Truckster back to Texas when it's fixed, or did I miss that post?
    So I’ve been in the phone with the warranty company all morning. It’s a CPO car and when the CPO warranty runs out, Ally Financial (formerly GMAC) coverage steps in.

They’re covering the rentals, but not the actual transportation of my vehicle. They said typically people wait until repairs are done, but it’s been a week and they still haven’t looked at the car, and with the tranny being on backorder, I told them they were crazy if they think I’m gonna spend a month in CA waiting for repairs…and I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t pony-up for that even if I wanted to go that route.

I’ve got business in Palm Springs in about a month, if all goes well I’ll get a one-way flight and drive it home…they said they would cover my fuel and lodging for the drive.

So I’m 100% sure that one way or another, I’ll be driving it home.

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    The dealership diagnosed it as a blown tranny, said they verified that it would slam into gear and the pan was full of metal. The only fix is a new tranny. And of course they’re on backorder because they all fail around 90k - 120k miles.

They’re just waiting for the regional manager to approve the fix, hopefully by tomorrow but who knows…

The only thing certain at this point, is that I’ve got a suburban at Avis with my name on it and we will be heading home late tomorrow morning.
    He said "blown tranny"! LOLz

Joe

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    But Bose is super legit - look, they even used to have stores at the mall...

download (64).jpg

...and look how packed it is...

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Radar? If not, you've got massive balls.
    No radar.

I am very cognizant of small towns and I drop to 5 over when I see the signs.
    And I’ll stick with 5 over until I’m a few miles out of town.

On the highway I try to stay 10-15 over the limit.
    So if the limit is 75 I’m gonna do 90 as traffic and conditions allow.

And in Mew Mexico i stuck with 10 over, they’ve got a lot of troopers on the highway, even in the middle of the night. If I get passed, then I’ll up my speed a bit.

Within a few miles of crossing into NM, and it was really late, maybe 1 or 2 am, I blew by a trooper at 90 on the median…I shit a brick but he didn’t pursue.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I blew by a trooper at 90 on the median…I shit a brick but he didn’t pursue.

Been there, done that. When I was in high school I topped 85 coming off a hill toward home out in Hays County. Looked in my rearview and saw a DPS Mustang that hadn't been there when I was topping the hill. The trooper pulled into the oncoming lane, paced me, looked over and grinned as he pointed at me and mouthed "Got you", then downshifted, floored it, pulled in front of me and left me standing still. I drove 55 the rest of the way home.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Yeah they do a lot of research and publicize their science…but at the end of the day, they target “pleasing” sound quality that doesn’t really equate to accuracy.

For example, they tend to over-emphasize upper-bass and upper-midrange, so people think they’re hearing a lot of bass and treble and that equates to “good” but obviously isn’t accurate. In my opinion it’s a band-aid for low-quality components.

They did do some very interesting research into active suspension technology in the early 2000’s.

I’m pretty sure Mercedes-Benz either uses it or licenses it, but in very small volumes and it’s very expensive to buy, much less maintain.
    It may not be the best out there, but I'm pleased with the JBL sound system that Toyota uses.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No radar.

I am very cognizant of small towns and I drop to 5 over when I see the signs.
    And I’ll stick with 5 over until I’m a few miles out of town.

On the highway I try to stay 10-15 over the limit.
    So if the limit is 75 I’m gonna do 90 as traffic and conditions allow.

And in Mew Mexico i stuck with 10 over, they’ve got a lot of troopers on the highway, even in the middle of the night. If I get passed, then I’ll up my speed a bit.

Within a few miles of crossing into NM, and it was really late, maybe 1 or 2 am, I blew by a trooper at 90 on the median…I shit a brick but he didn’t pursue.
    Funny how some just don't wanna go after you. I've had a couple of those when I was young and had my Camaro. I've had a few that was ready to rumble. lol

Top Bottom