Lynx Defense

Pros and Cons of Handguns: Which is best?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • giwplay1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Austin
    So I have a Ruger 9MM. Great gun. Nice to have a gun that holds 16 (or is it 15) in the clip. Question however, I hear about the SIG and other guns. What is a good gun that would go with a concealed weapon license that would be best for protecting your loved ones?
    ARJ Defense ad

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    So I have a Ruger 9MM. Great gun. Nice to have a gun that holds 16 (or is it 15) in the clip. Question however, I hear about the SIG and other guns. What is a good gun that would go with a concealed weapon license that would be best for protecting your loved ones?

Best is subjective.
    I carry either a Glock 19 or 26 and a fixed blade knife everywhere I go.

Sent from me.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Get a good quality gun that fits your hands well and has the features that you want (grip safety, thumb safety, sights, caliber, capacity, ect.).

Please note that the term clip is not interchangeable with magazine. Your Ruger uses a magazine. A M1 Garand feeds from a clip. They are not the same thing.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    None of my handguns use clips, I find magazines allow faster reloads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Find a range that rents handguns and try out a few. It's really hard to say what's best for each individual, you just have to try a few and see which one feels most comfortable, suits your price range, and - of course - gets you some bullseyes.

[edited to add a suggestion] Look into the S&W M&P 40c. Holds 10+1, it's a very effective round, and it carries very well in my CompTac Minotaur IWB holster.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    First post, and you don't introduce yourself.

And, from the way you framed your question, you are either a troll, or someone who needs some firearms education.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    There is no "best". There are a lot of good ones, though. For what it's worth handguns that are ideal for concealed carry aren't always ideal for home defense. I've been told that there are three basic elements; mission, tactics and equipment. The mission dictates all else. Fit the gun to the use.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    First post, and you don't introduce yourself.

And, from the way you framed your question, you are either a troll, or someone who needs some firearms education.

So are you saying we shouldn't welcome people who want to educate themselves on firearms.

Hell that's the reason I joined this forum in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR2Aaron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Austin, TX

What's wrong with the Ruger you already have?

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The failure to introduce oneself is in and of itself a reason to distrust the motivation of the OP.

It is not harsh to challenge the OP.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    The failure to introduce oneself is in and of itself a reason to distrust the motivation of the OP.

It is not harsh to challenge the OP.

Mr. shortround. May I introduce giwplay1. He is from Austin and is new to the forum. Apparently he is interested in CCW handguns and would like very much to protect his family who he holds dear.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Mr. shortround. May I introduce giwplay1. He is from Austin and is new to the forum. Apparently he is interested in CCW handguns and would like very much to protect his family who he holds dear.

lol

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    While a bit of a vague question, I'll take it as an honest question from a novice.

I like Sigs, Glocks and HK's, and have one of each for different purposes along with a SW J frame for light carry. That of course does not mean any of the other brands... 1911's, M&P, XD, Khar et al are bad. Just what I like after shooting quite a few different brands.

Sigs I like because they are very accurate and easy to shoot. You do need to get used to the DS/SA transition but it's not that difficult. Same with the HK platform I choose. Glocks have an easy manual of arms (pull the trigger and bang) and are reliable as well. The SW J frame I carry now and again is of course reliable as it is a revolver, but plan on no more that 3-7 yard shots under stress. In a phone booth they are great. All of the brands I've mentioned have one thing in common. They feed, fire and eject perfectly. I have never had any of them not function with thousands of rounds. That makes me feel good about them.

Top Bottom