APOD Firearms

Pros and Cons of Handguns: Which is best?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    And that sentiment is exactly why we would lose new members. Why not just answer his question and say, "Hey, you should become a member of our community and introduce yourself in the welcome forum." Instead of being a twit and actually being the troll yourself.

As for the OP, there are so many different types of handguns and you may find more than 1 you like. Your biggest thing you should look at would be reliability in reviews, then trial and error to find what you like. Range rentals are a great place to start or others at the range. Just like a holster, there are many, but few will be perfect for you.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

kfc903

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Waco, TX
    So I have a Ruger 9MM. Great gun. Nice to have a gun that holds 16 (or is it 15) in the clip. Question however, I hear about the SIG and other guns. What is a good gun that would go with a concealed weapon license that would be best for protecting your loved ones?

Welcome to the forum. There are so many options to choose from, which is a good thing. Some kind of compact 9mm made by Glock, Smith and Wesson, Kahr, Ruger, or Sig would be ideal for a new shooter, i think. Pick up and shoot as many as you can.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Sigs are my favorites. I've had three different ones. My fav is my 228 in 9mm. Easy to shoot, and they always go bang. If its good enough for the CIA and Special Forces, its good enough for me.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    The failure to introduce oneself is in and of itself a reason to distrust the motivation of the OP.

It is not harsh to challenge the OP.

Let's leave elitism to the guys at AR15.com ...

Welcome, giwplay1, the best handgun (like many have said) is one that fits you and one that you're confident in its proper use. Carry what you like and, after a while, you will form your own opinions about what works and what doesn't.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Alright, let's stretch it further. Pros and cons of handguns themselves!

Pros:
    • Easy to conceal.
    • Easy to carry.
    • Approachable - there seems to be less intimidation for a new shooter vs a rifle or shotgun.
    • A lot of variance in design! Full size to pocket gun, semi auto, revolver, derringer... and I know I'm missing some there.
    • Possibly very good capacity vs shotguns.

Cons:
    • Limited capacity compared to a fighting rifle.
    • Reduced stopping power compared to an intermediate caliber or better rifle or 20 gauge or bigger shotgun.
    • Harder to use acceptably well at close range compared to rifles or shotguns.
    • High cost vs shotguns.
    • Reduced range vs intermediate caliber or better rifles.
    • Reduced accuracy vs long guns.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    First post, and you don't introduce yourself.

And, from the way you framed your question, you are either a troll, or someone who needs some firearms education.
    easy, killer.

Kinda harsh, ain't it?
    i agree

So I have a Ruger 9MM. Great gun. Nice to have a gun that holds 16 (or is it 15) in the clip. Question however, I hear about the SIG and other guns. What is a good gun that would go with a concealed weapon license that would be best for protecting your loved ones?
    Welcome to the forum.
    What's best? Ford or Chevy? Same with handguns, Everybody has an opinion. Everybody is different. I love Glocks. My buddy loves PX4s. I hate PX4s. Shop around, handle lots of guns, shoot all you can.

Good grief. Even I think that is rude.
    lol

aattaway

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Georgetown
    There are many good guns out there -- it just depends on how much you can or willing to spend. I have four hand guns, two are basically for self defense/carry, and two are for range/target shooting. I think you will find that most range guns will be a bit too large to carry, and I think that you will also find that most self defense guns do not make really good range guns. By range guns, I mean those that are easy shooting and very accurate. My two carry guns are the Kahr CW40 and the Sig P238. Both fit very well in the car and in my pocket. I really prefer to shoot my Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm and 22 on the range. They have larger frames, larger grips, and are much easier to shoot. I will have to say, however, my 380 Sig (P238) is pretty accurate on the range also. I carry Gold Dot self-defense ammo in both the Kahr and the Sig, so both would do significant damage. I always carry one of my carry guns to the range each time I go so I will remain proficient on both, but I never shoot more than a box when I take them. Like others have said, finding the right gun is like finding the right girl. What's right for me most probably won't be right for you. Glock, Sig, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Springfield, STI, Kimber, etc. all make very fine guns, but each have a little different feel to them. I see you live in Harris county, and you ought to be able to find a lot of big dealers (Cabela's, Bass Pro, Academy) and a whole lot of smaller dealers that will let you put your hands on some guns.

bertizzie89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    san antonio, texas
    people can argue left and right about calibers, capacity, brands, but ultimately it depends on what you feel comfortable shooting. Ive met people who cant handle the snap of a .40 smith and wesson round and get stove pipes, and people who feel 9mm rounds dont have the sufficient stopping power, people will also say why need more than 7 rounds, when 1 or 2 will do the job. I think it really boils down to what you feel comfortable shooting, what feels comfortable carrying, and what fits your hands nice.

personally I have a 12 gauge in the home for protection, and I usually have a springfield XD40 subcompact in the glove box, and a 88 maverick in the trunk! I was told its a good idea to get a gun that can swap 9mm and .40 SW barrels so you can practice for less and then use the .40 for protection when carrying!

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Well it doesn't go with a conceal weapon license but the best gun to protect your family is a 12 ga. shotgun loaded with #4's. Assuming your actual question is about handguns, not being a fan boy but really, get a Glock 19 and have it cleaned up internally by a good armorer and you can't do much better than that.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well it doesn't go with a conceal weapon license but the best gun to protect your family is a 12 ga. shotgun loaded with #4's. Assuming your actual question is about handguns, not being a fan boy but really, get a Glock 19 and have it cleaned up internally by a good armorer and you can't do much better than that.

I disagree on both counts, not saying your wrong for your situation, but disagree with your across the board application.

Shotgun recoil sucks with high brass loads, and over time I have come to agree with the line of thinking that carbines are more reliable and better suited for home defense. I don't want the debate that go's with this, the OP can start another thread to hear the different sides of that argument.

As far as glocks, you can do much better if glocks don't fit your hand comfortably. I have nothing against glocks mechanically but due to ergonomics I just don't care to shoot them. I've tried a few different models and none fit me well so I don't shoot them well. The PPQ has a 15 end capacity, the ergonomics are amazing, and the trigger is a work of art. For me it would be more ideal but others think the trigger is too light for SD.

Honestly with such a broad question you will not get much of an answer.

I carry a Shield 9mm but may switch to a Bersa BP9cc cause I like the trigger a little more. Also carried a Ruger SR9c for a while but it was a little heavier and thicker. It did give me 10+1 and the option of 17+1 but I chose to trade a couple of rnds for easier concealment and comfort.

Everything about CC is a compromise. When it gets alittle cooler I may start carrying my full size XDm since concealing will be much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    And that sentiment is exactly why we would lose new members. Why not just answer his question and say, "Hey, you should become a member of our community and introduce yourself in the welcome forum." Instead of being a twit and actually being the troll yourself.

As for the OP, there are so many different types of handguns and you may find more than 1 you like. Your biggest thing you should look at would be reliability in reviews, then trial and error to find what you like. Range rentals are a great place to start or others at the range. Just like a holster, there are many, but few will be perfect for you.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Since your post came directly after mine with no quoted text, I wondering if that was directed at me? If so, I have absolutely no idea what your comments are referring to.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    Welcome to the forum! If you get a chance, check out the S&W Shield. Very easy to conceal and robust enough for the home and gun range. They are excellent pistols.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston

I love Ruger revolvers, from what I have shot those are the best ones. Just kinda biased towards Glocks, XD's or Beretta's for semi autos in the $500 range. My main concern with buying a semi auto is the reliability. I really need to have zero doubt in the back of my mind on whether or not it is gonna shoot, and continue to shoot till the magazine is empty, every single time. I had one FTF in my Glock 26 and that was the first day I shot it. I'd say it's shot about 10K rounds since then.

One day I was at the range next to this lady with a Ruger SR9. I had my Glock 26 in the lane next to her. She was having some SERIOUS problems with that gun. I remember it not going forward into battery a few times, she pulled the trigger and it went "click". If I am not mistaken she was having FTF's also. I just remember hearing her fire a few rounds, then looking over and seeing her field stripping her gun at the bench...at least 4 times before finally saying screw it and leaving. All the while I'm going through mag after mag, shot 200 rounds in about 40 minutes. She may have gotten off 20 rounds max. I had similar issues with a Smith and Wesson 40 a few months back.

No gun is perfect but I am more confident in a Glock than I am most others, and XD and Beretta are pretty much equally reliable.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    So are you saying we shouldn't welcome people who want to educate themselves on firearms.

Hell that's the reason I joined this forum in the first place.

Me too. Yeah that may have not been the warmest welcome. But I did introduce myself when I got here. Might not hurt for the OP to do the same. But yeah as many people are buying guns these days who don't know much about them, more experienced gun owners should be aware and as helpful as possible to new members, even if they don't have the best internet etiquette.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Resale value is another thing to consider. I have not been afforded much ability as far as renting firearms before purchase and have gone through quite a bit of trail and error. There are many guns that have fit me very well, but I just couldn't get them on target for one reason or another. So if you do have to go through buying and selling to get to what you want it's always good to be able to sell for close to what you paid, so your not out much or at least be able to trade for others. Just one more thing to consider.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Me too. Yeah that may have not been the warmest welcome. But I did introduce myself when I got here. Might not hurt for the OP to do the same. But yeah as many people are buying guns these days who don't know much about them, more experienced gun owners should be aware and as helpful as possible to new members, even if they don't have the best internet etiquette.
    Well, we should at least give them a chance or two before going into full-on Dale Gribble mode. Honestly, every post after #9 was likely a waste of everyone's time. The OP probably just gave up and moved on, thinking we're all a bunch pedantic pricks.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've been here a while now, never actually did an introduction.

I can't be trusted. :scared:

Top Bottom