Gun Zone Deals

Pros vs cons of jumping through the hoops to get a suppressor (is it worth it?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Once you get one you'll wonder why you didn't get one sooner.
    You will also become one of “those” gun owners almost instantly. You know, the ones who hear their neighbors down the road shooting and say ( while wearing a monocle and a suit while dove hunting) “ You know old chap, the gentlemanly thing to do would be to have suppressors on their guns” while simultaneously sipping beer from a mug with one’s pinky finger extended.:clown:
    Capitol Armory ad

Kotadaas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2021
    Clarksville
    I usually carry a Maxim 9, and its great to be able to shoot and not do more damage to myself than the army already has. But theres 2 problems with it: 1) Integerally supressed means I cant use my tax stamp on another gun and 2) Its not comparable to carrying a suppressed pistol. I probally wouldnt carry a pistol with a normal suppressor on it because of bulk. I've never gotten a chance to hunt so I have no other reason to own a suppressor, since any other time I should be prepped with ear pro

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I'm 3 years into my TX residency and have been delaying buying a suppressor as funds have been very limited since I arrived (even though I told all my shooting buddies I was going to get one as soon as I moved here).

I have always been an advocate of high value products. Nearly every large purchase in my life I ask myself... "Does the product provide high value for the price paid?"

Is it worth the cost, effort, tax, fingerprinting, etc. to get a suppressor? Since I'm in the suppressor forum area I would imagine that most here would say yes, it's absolutely worth it but from a more objective viewpoint taking into consideration everything you have to go through I question the value of owning one.

Since I have never owned/used one I really have no idea what I'm missing/not missing. I'm curious as to what the opinions are from those that have owned one for a while now. Was it worth it to you personally? What value does it bring to you? Pro's vs. Con's?
    I had fun with mine for a year then sold it

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I have 7 of them, so I'm all for buying / building suppressors. If I go shooting or hunting each weapon is suppressed.
    Buying with a Form 4 takes longer to get approved, but Building them with a E-Form 1, you can get your tax stamps in a couple months or less.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Lots of good posts in here. Suppressors should be mandatory. :laughing:

It just makes shooting so much more pleasurable without all the noise. Most people’s regret, is waiting to long to get their first one. Do it!
    I might be an exception to the noise! My dad warned me and gave me headphones. I like the report of guns, fireworks explosions! Remember I didn’t wear protection with the G3K.

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    I bought my two suppressors because I can. Plus the only class III items that interest me enough to jump thru the federal hoops and registration.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Still enough to hurt your hearing. The ringing in my ears is already pretty bad and I don't want it any worse. Lots and lots of M60 machine gun shooting 7.62x51 NATO for 4 years. Back then ear plugs were almost never used or around or encouraged. Later when it is gone or problematic (hearing) you will wish you had protected yourself, even with a silencer. Even with subsonic full bore rounds it will still be loud enough to hurt your hearing. Supersonic rounds even worse. Subsonic .22 is the only acceptable no hearing protection needed with a can (bolt action, semi's are louder).

But with most of my time now at public ranges, they aren't much use other than to dull the noise of a high powered rifle in an enclosed range. Still need ear protection just to be there. They are a high priced novelty at the moment and I like mine but will get no more unless they are deregulated and prices come down. Probably not happening in my useful lifetime I have left. But everyone should own at least one and get it configured to use on a variety of your guns if you can.

Most suppressors will reduce 308 to 135db or less, under the OSHA minimum considered damaging to hearing. I suppose if you were doing heavy strings of fire but for the casual shooter, it’s a non-issue IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Most suppressors will reduce 308 to 135db or less, under the OSHA minimum considered damaging to hearing. I suppose if you were doing heavy strings of fire but for the casual shooter, it’s a non-issue IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CDC doesn't agree with you.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    CDC? The same people that say I should wear 3 masks and never leave my house? That CDC?

Lightflyer, I empathize with your position, as I have significant hearing loss from my military service, and receive a check monthly.
    The question asked of the forum, in this thread, was about pros and cons of suppressors. We can all tell that you are an advocate for protecting ones hearing. Most here are. If you just want to preach about suppressors aren’t adequate hearing protection, start a thread. Just a thought.

Stay safe, and if your anything like me, preserve what little hearing you have left.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Back to suppressors.

Suppress everything, it’s worth it.
    E2502684-B9B9-4B29-910F-FBA974DFB5AB.jpeg

snowmen are rare in Texas, but they are wise, and quiet. They know shit.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Top Bottom