Patriot Mobile

Pros vs cons of jumping through the hoops to get a suppressor (is it worth it?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dillion.lapoma

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Wharton
    Hey OP, not sure where you’re located or if you’ve decided to pull the trigger on one yet but I’d be more than happy to take you out to the range just to compare suppressed vs not. In my opinion the freedom of not having to use ear pro when hunting or shooting in small batches is worth it to me. Just cuts down on the over all report of the rifle and is a joy to shoot anything subsonic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ARJ Defense ad

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Guy that does not own suppressors.
    1625203977598.png

Guy that owns suppressors
    1625204289825.png

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    My two cents (now worth less than a Mexican centavo thanks to Biden):

I don't shoot as much as I used to so the only investment that balanced out and made sense to me was a .22lr can for my Savage rifle. This way I can shoot all I want on my property without any of the neighbors knowing it and my 6 am dispatching of pests in the back acres doesn't bother anyone or cause issues. My property was annexed into the city a few years ago but since all of the homes on this lane are on acreage no one says anything about an occasional pistol, rifle or shotgun round because we all have to deal with critters.

If I have to use a centerfire rifle or pistol it will be for good reason and the last thing I will be thinking about is the noise. In those case I am also not likely to bother putting on ear protection like I do at the range

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    I'm 3 years into my TX residency and have been delaying buying a suppressor as funds have been very limited since I arrived (even though I told all my shooting buddies I was going to get one as soon as I moved here).

I have always been an advocate of high value products. Nearly every large purchase in my life I ask myself... "Does the product provide high value for the price paid?"

Is it worth the cost, effort, tax, fingerprinting, etc. to get a suppressor? Since I'm in the suppressor forum area I would imagine that most here would say yes, it's absolutely worth it but from a more objective viewpoint taking into consideration everything you have to go through I question the value of owning one.

Since I have never owned/used one I really have no idea what I'm missing/not missing. I'm curious as to what the opinions are from those that have owned one for a while now. Was it worth it to you personally? What value does it bring to you? Pro's vs. Con's?

NO

VNK971

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Mico, TX
    I got one for my 300 Black Out AR. It's not too loud, I still shoot supers, but the sound is the bullet breaking the sound barrier. I only shoot it a few times a year, usually at night, in my front yard. 25Aug20.JPG

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    As someone who does NOT have a suppressor, I'm still going to say YES, if you can afford it. Suppressed shots are better for your hearing. I've got hearing loss thanks to two decades of working around loud vehicles, driving vehicles with poor weather stripping (high pitched whistle thru the driver door, near my left ear) - your hearing is irreplaceable. Yeah, you can spend thousands and get hearing aids. But you can't wear hearing aids 24/7, and they can still fail. I'll be 40 this year, and plan to get my first can this year. I want to save what hearing I have left. I double up ear pro now when I shoot rifles or loud pistols. $700 for a good suppressor, including the tax stamp is still a cheap investment in your hearing health.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    In this age of CNC, I really have a problem with the initial price. I guess since a tax stamp is $200, then of course it would seem silly to sell them anywhere near what it costs to make. The wait time sucks, and I believe that's mainly due to the fact that the government would really rather you not have one (although they certainly want your money). So to some sticking it to the man is a plus. Unregulated, I would probably like to have them on many of my guns.

I would say, if you want one or two or more and don't mind the wait and the money, by all means get them.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    So many people, myself included, want one but just continually put it off. “It’s too much money, the wait sucks, etc.” We make excuses as to why we don’t get into the NFA world, and call it justification.
    a very common trait of most NFA owners is “why did I put it off so long?” I don't even know how many stamps I have today, but I have zero regrets about any of them.

don’t be that guy. When you want it, just do it!

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    We couldn't agree more. Hearing protection is wildly important. Not to mention, adding a silencer to your firearm makes shooting more enjoyable across the board.
    Why, yes. Yes it does!

What would be awesome is if y'alls were able to come out with a nice, smooth, ambidextrous AR (small & large frame options) charging handle with a built-in, replaceable, high-wear rubber "seal" to close the receiver gap.....Would help protect our eyes/lungs at the same time.

Just a suggestion... ;)

Last edited:

Lamski

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2020
    Round Rock
    Thank you for all the valid points and great discussion. I think I will move forward with the purchase. Now where should I go to buy one and which one should I get? I originally wanted to get one for my 6.5CM rifle. But I also have an AR15 in 5.56 and plan to get a 300 Blackout set up as well.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Thank you for all the valid points and great discussion. I think I will move forward with the purchase. Now where should I go to buy one and which one should I get? I originally wanted to get one for my 6.5CM rifle. But I also have an AR15 in 5.56 and plan to get a 300 Blackout set up as well.

If you get a .30 cal suppressor, it should work with your 6.5 and 5.56 rifles as well as the .300 Blackout. You won't get the same noise reduction with the smaller calibers, but you'll still get a good amount. Not uncommon to see a guy running a .308 can on a 5.56 rifle.

Bully

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If you get a .30 cal suppressor, it should work with your 6.5 and 5.56 rifles as well as the .300 Blackout. You won't get the same noise reduction with the smaller calibers, but you'll still get a good amount. Not uncommon to see a guy running a .308 can on a 5.56 rifle.
    I just spoke to a range semi local to where I'll be living to find out about the process of obtaining a can. They seem to be a bit higher on fees but they do hold the can and allow it to be used if I go to the range which is a nice side benefit.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Now the fun begins. There are several great .30 cal cans that will fill your needs. Find one from a reputable company, that you like.
    My pick for the three guns you listed would be the Dead Air, Sandman. Good luck!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom