Push comes to shove: How good a shot are you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How well can you shoot under pressure at 100, 200 & 500 yards?

• I’m a consistent sub-MOA Shooter at all distances in any situation

Votes: 1 1.7%
    • I’m a sub-MOA shooter at the range, likely 1-2 MOA otherwise

Votes: 12 20.3%
    • 1-2 MOA at the range, 2-3 under pressure at all distances

Votes: 14 23.7%
    • I can hit a moving van at 50 yards

Votes: 17 28.8%
    • I have enough ammo for my semi to hit anything eventually

Votes: 10 16.9%
    • Belt / Can-Fed GAU-19, all targets will be quickly destroyed

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    My eyesight is also waining, and my knees are learning pain is a frequent reality.

On the plus side I’ve enjoyed shooting at longer distances 300-1,000 yards and even a mile, and have the rifles doped for those.
    If it comes to the street, my strategy would be to engage at 500 yards plus with .308 & .50, putting AR-15 opponents at a substantial disadvantage. Lets hope insurrection won’t happen (I pray).
    I don't know where you live but where I live, on the street you would do good to have a 100 yard shot, to many houses, trees etc in the way. If they are 200 yards away we will probably ignore each other, if I am facing a true sniper I will blissfully never know what hit me.
    Texas SOT

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    Truth is… I have taken some instruction and believe me when I say you don’t want to be within 1000 yards. Despite what that GI Joe says, you don’t have to serve to be deadly.
    Agree. I also took a long range and a mile course. Every minor nit becomes huge. I probably couldn’t repeat that performance today but feel pretty good out past 500.

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016

All I can really say is that being a good shot, especially under pressure, is something that can only be proven in the moment it needs to be proven. I've not been in that situation. But, I'll say, beyond a shadow of a doubt that, if my wife and daughter were in danger, I'm doing absolutely everything I can to get them out of danger. My life be damned. Now, if you replace my immediate family with a bunch of strangers, I'd like to think I'd do the same. Would I? I believe I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    If and when we're in that situation, we most likely will not be out in the open like Nam but in a city scenario. I doubt that anyone will have very many long distance shots. There will way to many homes and buildings to hide and shoot around. So I believe close contact will be the norm.

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    If it's over 15 yards I'll probably choose to not participate w/o a rifle.

That's exactly the thing here. OP specifically stated rifle, so I answered based on that. If we're talking about being armed with pistols, I'm not engaging shit unless unless absolutely necessary. Not a chance.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    1000 yards? What are you carrying? Cause if I'm out in public, I'm wearing a semi auto pistol. If I get into a situation like the OP describes, I'd give my left nut to trade that pistol for a rifle. I just can't imagine a scenario where I'm caught in public and shit goes down, but I just happened to bring along my thousand yard reach out and touch someone rifle.

That's exactly the thing here. OP specifically stated rifle, so I answered based on that. If we're talking about being armed with pistols, I'm not engaging shit unless unless absolutely necessary. Not a chance.

It was your post that referred to a 'semi auto pistol'.

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    If and when we're in that situation, we most likely will not be out in the open like Nam but in a city scenario. I doubt that anyone will have very many long distance shots. There will way to many homes and buildings to hide and shoot around. So I believe close contact will be the norm.
    My goal would to be further away than most could shoot accurately.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    .448 group with my 6.5cm at 100. At 300 I’m ringing steel. At 500 I know my holdover.

Under stress? What does that mean?

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I've never measured MOA, nor do I know how to. Math bad. It's why I draw for a living. I do know I can hit a moving target, and no soda can is safe from me. (and as a side note, a hollowpoint hitting a can of cheap-ass peppermint soda HEB was giving away a few years ago is effing spectacular).

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    It was your post that referred to a 'semi auto pistol'.

My original response was going along with - I happen to be in a shit situation, in public, and what would I do and what rifle would I choose. In reality, I'd be carry a Sig P365, not a rifle.

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    I better get up in the attic cut a hole in the roof and build me a hide and have my wife point me in the right direction.

But what if you went out for ice cream (maybe even two scoops, just because you can) and find yourself in a bad situation? That hide will only work for you if you never leave it.

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    Yup your right, guess I will have carry an AK with me

Well, the original OP options were, I think, 100, 200, and 500 yards. Inside 50 yards, AK all day. But we're talking, minimum, twice that distance so you probably want to upgrade to an AR platform. Before anyone gets SVS about that, I'm freaking kidding. Robski has proven it time and time again.

Top Bottom