ARJ Defense ad

Push comes to shove: How good a shot are you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How well can you shoot under pressure at 100, 200 & 500 yards?

• I’m a consistent sub-MOA Shooter at all distances in any situation

Votes: 1 1.7%
    • I’m a sub-MOA shooter at the range, likely 1-2 MOA otherwise

Votes: 12 20.3%
    • 1-2 MOA at the range, 2-3 under pressure at all distances

Votes: 14 23.7%
    • I can hit a moving van at 50 yards

Votes: 17 28.8%
    • I have enough ammo for my semi to hit anything eventually

Votes: 10 16.9%
    • Belt / Can-Fed GAU-19, all targets will be quickly destroyed

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Yeah - those mini 14's aren't known to be tack drivers. 200 yards on a man size target shouldn't be an issue though. Went prairie dog hunting and a buddy brought his. Pretty much anybody's guess where the round would end up past about 250 yards though.
    Capitol Armory ad

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'll tell y'all what a sweet shot is. I didn't do it, but witnessed it. A yote running maybe 100 yards out, and a buddy blew his front legs off with a 30-30.
    Back when I was about 10, I creased the top of ones head that was running away down the road.
    Dropped him right there.

Can't remember what I was shooting.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    The what rifle I’d use question is easy since all I have is a Mini 14. I have made hits on man size targets at 100yards. I need to try 200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah - those mini 14's aren't known to be tack drivers. 200 yards on a man size target shouldn't be an issue though. Went prairie dog hunting and a buddy brought his. Pretty much anybody's guess where the round would end up past about 250 yards though.
    You know...A lot of the critters I popped came from a mini14. Early 90's model. Yeah the best a guy can do is work on his own skills and use good ammo. I have another early 90's in my ownership now and with lake city green tip it's about 4 inches at 100.

But critter popping isn't just several hundred yard shots on small critters. My old mini put down a lot of pest because it was the better tool for the farm I did that type of work on. Most shots were no more than 150 yards and if you got a yote or big fat coon; as looong as it hits. Use the right load and enough damage will be done. Head or ass, whatever.

A mini is still a weapon I like. I'm used to the old style front blade. It's a rifle that's easy to walk around with and handles fast. Fast sight picture. 100 yards...I wouldn't feel under gunned. And it's easy for people who don't know much to learn on and operate. It's a very good rifle for a young shooter.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    From reading all of these post, It sounds like almost everyone thinks they will have plenty of time to aim and fire, but you won't. Some times you will but most of the time you won't. If you can see them, they can see you. (If your both looking towards each other at the same time} Had to add this before someone said "what if they're not looking at you". You will never know where you enemy is looking and will be ready to fire when and if he see you.

Last edited:

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    When I shot IHMSA I could hit a target at 220 yards with a pistol, good group too. But that was laying on my back in creedmore position.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    From reading all of these post, It sounds like almost everyone they thinks will have plenty of time to aim and fire, but you won't. Some times you will but most of the time you won't. If you can see them, they can see you. (If your both looking towards each other at the same time} Had to add this before someone said "what if they're not looking at you". You will never know where you enemy is looking and will be ready to fire when and if he see you.
    This is very true, having been shot at by a drunk with a 30-06, all you have time to do is find a concealed path.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I am the best shot that ever pooped between a two dollar pair of socks. I am always sub-MOA regardless of distance. I don’t actually check my targets because I can’t walk that far.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I rarely drive farther than the 5 miles it takes me to get to work or the grocery store, so I'm not too worried about all hell breaking loose out where I live. If it does, I've always got a pistol with me and a PC carbine in the truck to ward off any would be attacker's.
    I don't go to the urban / city area's, I stay out in the country where I belong.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I'm rural, and I sure won't be going to any city looking for a fight, not even with Antifa... The fight will have to come to me, and ranges where I am will be limited to about 200 yds, unless someone can snipe me from the hills. More likely, they'll (being likely more than one) get the jump on me from lesser distance, since they'll be choosing the time...

The rifle I'll be using is an AR-15, and I'll probably be >5moa under stress. A whole lot will depend on luck, but I've long expected that if a firefight lasts more than 10 or 20 rounds, I'll probably be dead or dying.

I don't usually carry a rifle, but as conditions deteriorate in the cities, I will begin to do things differently, carrying a rifle or having it and extra mags immediately at hand, whereas now they are only at hand when I am in the house.

I polled that I have enough ammo for my semi that I'll eventually hit something (if I'm lucky enough to not get hit first).

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Interesting question from the range. We all probably shoot pretty well there. But if you were pushed to defend yourself and others in a city, (civil unrest, invasion of the cartels, or a firefight with Ant…) how well would you likely shoot under pressure and return fire at 100, 200 & 500 yards?
    What rifle would you use?

Yes, I would defend me and mine. As for specifics, that is impossible to answer due to too many variables.

Top Bottom