Guns International

Push comes to shove: How good a shot are you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How well can you shoot under pressure at 100, 200 & 500 yards?

• I’m a consistent sub-MOA Shooter at all distances in any situation

Votes: 1 1.7%
    • I’m a sub-MOA shooter at the range, likely 1-2 MOA otherwise

Votes: 12 20.3%
    • 1-2 MOA at the range, 2-3 under pressure at all distances

Votes: 14 23.7%
    • I can hit a moving van at 50 yards

Votes: 17 28.8%
    • I have enough ammo for my semi to hit anything eventually

Votes: 10 16.9%
    • Belt / Can-Fed GAU-19, all targets will be quickly destroyed

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I've never been a good rifle shot. I haven't done it enough, and I never got formal training. I need to take a basic rifle course sometime. But I'm decent with a pistol and shotgun at under 50 yds.

But one thing I can do is close distance quietly and discreetly. And I'm an even better shot when the threat has its back to me.....
    DK Firearms

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Yes, I would defend me and mine. As for specifics, that is impossible to answer due to too many variables.
    Without biden and his handlers plan of action, it is difficult to plan too many specifics for a defense.
    The first part of my plan was buy it cheap, stack it deep.

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I've never been a good rifle shot. I haven't done it enough, and I never got formal training. I need to take a basic rifle course sometime. But I'm decent with a pistol and shotgun at under 50 yds.

But one thing I can do is close distance quietly and discreetly. And I'm an even better shot when the threat has its back to me.....
    Join me at Temple Gun Club one evening. We can fix that problem. How is really fairly easy. Even fair accuracy ain't that hard. Once you have that, distance is more a head game than anything.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Sam75022

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2022
    texas
    From reading all of these post, It sounds like almost everyone thinks they will have plenty of time to aim and fire, but you won't. Some times you will but most of the time you won't. If you can see them, they can see you. (If your both looking towards each other at the same time} Had to add this before someone said "what if they're not looking at you". You will never know where you enemy is looking and will be ready to fire when and if he see you.
    That is so true. I used to think with situational awareness and average marksmanship, I can do okay. That is until group of us joined laser tag tournament where 10 of us defends a territory and on next session10 of us tries to attack opponents defended position. (I know laser tag is not same as real war situation but it’s closest ‘feel’ of shooting while someone is also shooting back while moving/running/hiding…)

Let me tell you it’s like tornado hitting you where there is no way to know what your opponents are thinking or more importantly how skilled/tight they are as a ‘team’ and how quickly they can close in on you from all sides. All everyone can hope for is try your best but unless you are elite OP and have ‘team members’ that you trained as team on these kind of situations, the probability of survival is not good. Having said this, I still like to die shooting than surrender and still die…

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    From reading all of these post, It sounds like almost everyone thinks they will have plenty of time to aim and fire, but you won't. Some times you will but most of the time you won't. If you can see them, they can see you. (If your both looking towards each other at the same time} Had to add this before someone said "what if they're not looking at you". You will never know where you enemy is looking and will be ready to fire when and if he see you.
    That's why we need more of us than them.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I mostly shoot handguns. Most of that shooting is with my carry guns. When I shoot, I practice shooting from concealment. Most of the time, I feel comfortable that I can defend myself.

I'm not as fast as I used to be but, I try to make every shot count. My buddies and I always had a saying, "Shoot as fast as you can." That means shooting fast enough to still be able to hit your target. Faster than you can means you're not hitting your target.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Isn’t it really a 2 part problem? Either you need to be a good shot or you need to be good at concealment and camouflage. Now if your good at both, that is even better. If you are great at both, you will be ok.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    I'm pretty nasty with an AR15. I can put lead on steel at 300-400 yards consistently with irons no problem. With a LPVO or a red dot and magnifier, I can hit consistently to 600 yards as long as there isn't crazy wind, or environmental conditions. Anything under 200 yards is boringly easy.

Now that could change on a 2-way range, and I'm not saying I could land head shots with lead coming back at me, but in normal range conditions, I think I'm a pretty solid 1MOA shooter or better.

Beyond those type of distances (600 yards), I need some practice, and guidance, so that's where I'm currently focusing my efforts (on the AR308 platform).

postal

Old gun guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2022
    St Paul/San Antonio
    Would use a long range rifle, one of my varmint guns (.223 or .243) as I've shot thousands if prairie dogs at varying ranges out to a bit over 800 yards. (Longest head shot 820 yards).
    Havent shot dogs in awhile but still practice. And I'm 64 so a bit slower.
    Used to shooting fast as ya gotta nail the evil critters fast when they're up......maybe 5-6 a minute?
    Also have a new Rem 5r in .308.....20 x Leupold. I'm pretty good with that too but need to load mire rounds.
    AR shorty or one of my '28 Thompsons as a backup gun. Not looking to clear homes as I'm pretty slow now, prefer to work from a long way out.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    40 years ago even a piss ant was dead within 40 yds with a handgun, a gallon water jug at 100 yds. Used to hit rats on the dead run from the back of a moving truck in the middle of the night using my 1911; now, I couldn’t even see them because of my night vision. Today, at the range, I can get a few in the black at 25 yds when I am hot.

Of course, I am 73, and, in my prime, I handloaded and fired a minimum of 500 rounds a week which is about 5 times what I do in a year now.

Kind of parallels my sex life

Top Bottom