• TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Not as good as the look on the wives face when I did it!

Funny how when I was @ her family gathering I was just supposed to eat food I didn't like & shut up about it. Here grandmother's fruit salad sat on my plate until someone asked. I hate when someone "fixes a plate" for you! Her Dad's battleship grey turkey gravy that was more like wallpaper paste. Her Aunts yams with marshmallows. I pretty much hate marshmallow. I'll eat cornbread stuffing. I won't eat cornbread sawdust with grey gravy.

Then there was the Thanksgiving her dad wanted me to carve the turkey(they made it clear they thought we should take over the tradition). I actually removed both breast & sliced them against the grain. Thighs were boned out, the wings were cut on the joints & the drumsticks where left whole. Mr. Grey Gravy bitched about everything. Said breast meat was sliced all wrong & I didn't bone out the drums. I told him drums stick have to much tendon to carve & the proper way was to eat it like a chickem drumstick. I actually watched him make his gravy. He never used any pan dripping & made a basic corn starch slurry that he heated with the gizzards, heart & liver chopped in it. Never seen hard boiled eggs in gravy
    That's called giblet gravy, but it should have some pan drippings in it too.
    Gun Zone Deals

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Ribs are on.

b0b5781736c7ecff0d4f5ec0cac66f3d.jpg

Attachments

• b0b5781736c7ecff0d4f5ec0cac66f3d.jpg
      b0b5781736c7ecff0d4f5ec0cac66f3d.jpg
      106.9 KB · Views: 577

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    My partner in crime likes the (off menu, just ask for it anyway) mexican street corn soup from the Don'Key in Pasadena, so I tried to duplicate it for her. Blonde roux, diced onion, frozen corn, chicken stock, cumin, chile powder, heavy cream (will try sour cream next time), rotisserie chicken...topped with bacon pieces, jalapeno, cilantro, and cotija cheese.

16995483a590deba9c821748e619e43b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 16995483a590deba9c821748e619e43b.jpg
      16995483a590deba9c821748e619e43b.jpg
      145.6 KB · Views: 392

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Curious...what type of setup do you have?

Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 charcoal burner. Ease of pellet, temps up to 700*. Stays +\- 5* so long as charcoal is in the bin. Four built in temperature probes.

A 16lb bag makes for a 12-15 hour cook. Want flavor? Add wood chip or hardwood layer. Today was about four pounds of charcoal with oak chips sandwiched in, giving a 6+ hour burn at 225 for the first 5 hours and then 175* for the remainder.

Gets to temp in <10 mins and stays there as long as you want.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    This was actually Sunday dinner for momma. Ribs on the top rack, bone in shoulder in a cast iron on the cold side of the grill.

It took about an hour to get the gas grill to settle at about 260. Ribs were mostly wrapped in foil with some breathing room. The shoulder was in the cast iron with a foil top.

A handfull of hours later I put some Stubs sauce on the ribs and put them over the flame. There was also fresh coleslaw.
    180d4ef77c05d974aa03aa4cb413ec6a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 180d4ef77c05d974aa03aa4cb413ec6a.jpg
      180d4ef77c05d974aa03aa4cb413ec6a.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 266

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Final product. Don’t think I’ll do the crutch again. Flavor was great but texture was mushy. Can’t see how this is a championship winning method, but then again it’s pork and not beef.

Ate good, though.

View attachment 213143

Yes that’s been my experience as well. I cook a LOT on a pellet grill and I’ve tried many methods with ribs including 3-2-1 method. My new and favorite way is use whole spare ribs untrimmed. Apply generous layer of rub & let em ride bone side down for 6 hours +/- if the cooker is hotter on 1 side maybe rotate then 1/2 way through but keep bones down. It’s so much easier and just as good imo. If one like a wet saucy rib spritz with apple cider the last couple of hours or just apply sauce toward the end or when served. I love ribs and the 321 method will make them fall off the bone but a lot of work & I’m lazy. Yours sure looks tasty. I’d eat one.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Finish, or if leftovers?
    Not likely to finish cooking in the cast iron skillet, most likely to be placed in an oven or smoker to finish. If you finish it in an oven the bone will turn black from the heat.

Same thing goes for any "Frenched bones" be it lamb chops veal chops, pork crown roast. As a meat cutter I hated "frenching most bones as I seen it a waste of rib meat. Veal rib chops were the easiest to do & came off very clean. If I had done the pictured tomahawl the bone would have no meat remain in the Frenched area. Then again I was better then most meat cutters.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Got a nice batch of carne guisada in the slow cooker today.
    Spent some time in Eastern WA perfecting my recipe, but didn't have fresh flour tortillas readily available. A good batch, rolled in a tortilla, with a little pico. Heaven.

Top Bottom